1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" and 6" lift ride quality poll

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hookedontronics, Jul 1, 2010.

?

How does you lift ride drive and handle compared to stock

Poll closed Jul 31, 2010.
  1. I have a 6" fabtech lift and the ride is great

18.2%
  2. I have a 6" fabtech lift and the ride is not so great

2.3%
  3. I have a 6" procomp lift and the ride is great

13.6%
  4. I have a 6" procomp lift and the ride is not so great

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have a 3" toytech ultimate lift and the ride is great

52.3%
  6. I have a 3" toytech ultimate lift and the ride is not so great

13.6%
  1. Jul 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I have a 2010, dc off road 4x4. Well it's come time to order my lift and while I was pretty set on a toytec 3" ultimate lift and some 32s now I'm strongly thinking about going for a 6" lift and some 33s. Why the change of mind? I got a nice unexpected bonus from work and greybeauty's truck has always stood out as they best looking second gen IMO.
    My main concern is I do not want to sacrifice ride quality as I am currenly putting about 2500 miles on my truck a month. Mostly to and from work, about 90 miles a day, however I will be moving next month and should be about 5 miles from work. This truck is my daily driver, and I don't want it to ride like it's on rails. I've driven trucks with a 6+" fabtech lift before and they've driven like they were stock but I want some input as to what you guys are experiencing with your tacos. I'd also consider a 4.5" lift from rcd but I do not believe they make one that is comparable with vsc, please correct me if I am wrong.

Let me know what you guys think and what you are running for a lift and how it handles as well as any parts you may have needed to stop the vibes or anything.

Thanks!

2. Jul 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    ^ those are both yours??

3. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    :eek: well if one of them ever needs a new home let me know ;)

4. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Well after researching all night I'm down to either a 3" ultimate lift or emu lift. I really wanted to go 6" or even 4.5" but after reading all the install manuals I am just not too crazy about cutting the frame of my truck seeing how it has less than 5000 miles on it. Maybe if I bought it used I'd consider it. It's a bummer but the 3" lift should still give it a good look.

If anyone knows of a 4.5 or 6" lift that does not require cutting the frame let me know, I'm here to learn and make an informed decission before I purchase.

5. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    o cool! they just re opened mammoth because a nice sized fire went through there last fall

6. Jul 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I think he means cutting the cross-member...

That being said, for a 4x4 there are no options other than cutting the crossmember for over 3'' of lift, IIRC.

7. Jul 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    X-member

8. Jul 1, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    The reason you need to cut the crossmember is because of the front driveshaft.

The ride quality will be better in a DB lift than a 3" lift. (The 3" lift takes up most of the suspension down travel)
    But there are so many factors that go into handling quality; that both can ride great or handle like crap!
    Just depends on how you build it! (Do either right; and you'll be happy)

Do it "half ass" and you'll be hating life!

If you're already considering a 6" lift? Sack up and do it! Or in time seeing all the other Tacoma's with a 6" lift will drive you nutz!

It will just cost you grief and money later when you upgrade.

9. Jul 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4

I hear ya but i think i am going to do the emu kit for the 850- it'll run me and run that till my warranty runs out in a year or two. People seem to be very pleased with the kit and it looks like it covers all basis in terms of ride quality. Then i will probably go with a 6". I just can't imagine cutting out the x-member only two months into owning it. I can wait a year or two.

10. Jul 2, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i hate you when you post of them.lol im just a hater:D

11. Jul 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Remember the $600 for the UCA's. Anytime you do a 3" lift, you'd want a set of UCA's to keep the handling quality.

Good Luck!

12. Jul 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    twr437

twr437 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 LB
    nerf bars, bed cover, husky liners, Icon coilovers, LR UCA, rear 5100s, TSB AAL, diff drop, carrier baring drop, axel shims, AFE pro dry filter, BHLM, mesh grill, Black emblems,
    I say Icon ext. travel CO. They ride awsome, and they are rebuildable. I have my set to 2.5 in in the front no rubbing and no cutting. I run 275 65 R17s bfgs. Perfect tire for this lift....big enough for offroading and still maintian good MPG. About to load some new pics so you can take a look.

13. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    I had the toytec ULK and it was fine till I adjusted it and started blowing CV boots. I switched to the RCD and love it. It rides 100 times better than the Toytec. I had the same feelings about cutting the frame on a new 09, but don't sweat it. You would love the RCD kit.

14. Jul 3, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    06stex

06stex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Corpus Christi, Texas 361
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD 6" Fabtech..limo tint
    6 inch Fabtech, Dirt Logic 2.5 coilovers, Light Racing UCAs 17x9 XD spy, 305 65 17 Extreme ATs, Limo all around, Kicker speakers,Kicker L5 10 inch sub, 400 watt kicker mono amp In dash Pioneer with Ipod cable, Flowmaster 50, bedmat, toolbox, K N Filter, cheapo seat covers, 6000k HIDs upfront, bhlm,DDM 5000K fogs, tailgate mod, and many more to come.
    I have a 6 in Fabtech with Dirtlogic coilovers and a set of Light Racing UCAs and well the ride is perfect. I have to agree with Toku, you really need to make this investment right from the beginning. I had OME suspension with 884 coils and it was great till it sagged real bad like 3 months later. Thats a lot of money to invest for something that sags quickly. After that i invested in 5100s and loved it but the ride was kinda rough. Finally upgraded to the 6 inch and i love but you must set it right and you enjoy the heck out of it. And as for the frame cutting its no big deal, its quite easy, I used a Saw Zaw(is that right) and a grinding wheel and a rinky dink welder ( im not great at welding) and welded the plates in place and bam-done. Its perfectly fine and harms the truck in no way. The DB supports the front differential quite well, almost better than factory. Just do it, you wont regret it. Plus 3 inch is cool but 6 inch is awesome and just as capable as a 3 inch. Or even the 4 inch RCD is pretty cool looking, but for the 2300 or so you would spend on a 6 inch with coilovers its way better IMO, plus they are rebuildable. Just my 2 cents, to each their own and to the best wishes in your decision making process for your truck.

15. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    bpawl

bpawl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaine
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma 4WD
    6 in pro comp lift with 35in Toyos. Rides really nice for a lifted truck. The cross member isn't that big of a deal. Some of your ride quality issues would also come from tire selection imo. All of your options are better than stock :)

16. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    hookedontronics

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    which 6" lifts are compatable with vsc?

17. Jul 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    4 wheel parts has the lift kit compatible for the vsc, give them a call to see which model it is and do some research to find the best price on it. I think 4wheelparts.com is a little pricey....Good Luck!

18. Jul 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    How much $ you want to lay out for tires with a work bonus now and how much you can lay out for tires in two years might be different. Keep that in mind, also.

19. Jul 25, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    TacomaMtnMan

TacomaMtnMan those who seek fear shall be followed by fear

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Broomfield
    Vehicle:
    Fox Shox lifted DC 4x4
    3" lift using Fox Shocks Coilover, Total Chaos UCA's. Running: Duratrac 285/70/17 Rear suspension just a 1" block for now. Will have custom rear springs no block. Fox w/ Resi.
    FYI... I have a 2009 Tacoma w/ VSC and been doing my homework on lifts for a long ass time. :)

The only 6 inch capable w VSC is only the ProComp. I will be getting the level 2 w/ CO but using Blistin 5100 shocks for the rear and 2.75 OME leaf pack so I dont have to use the 3 inch block. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top