1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 Short Beeps after seat-belt warning

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lunksunkunk, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jul 10, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    lunksunkunk

lunksunkunk [OP] Member

Member:
    I have already searched and perused through many different forums including this one and haven't found an answer addressing my particular situation.

I own a 2008 tacoma regular cab, 5 spd manual w/ 4x4. 4-cylinder engine.

When i turn on my vehicle, the regular 5 seat-belt warning chimes come up. (BTW-I have disabled the annoying seat-belt warnings.) After it finishes the seat-belt chimes, the dashboard or w/e beeps 3 short beeps. The beeps are a completely different sound than the seat-belt warning. Also i'd like the add that the 3 short beeps sound off really fast. If i wasnt paying attention and had the radio on, i would've never noticed.

I have checked the owner's manual and come up with nothing. No check engine, brakes, vsc, abs, tire pressure, or oil lights are on. Just the standard seat-belt warning flash. This is driving me nuts. There's nothing on the internet about it. My passenger seat-belt is auto and currently nothing is on the seat nor obstructing the sensor below. It just started happening but my truck still runs fine. I'm worried that something's wrong but what the hell can derive from 3 beeps???

Edit: Also i dont leave my truck on 4H or 4L, its always on 2H especially when turning it on.

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    lunksunkunk

lunksunkunk [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks. Hope someone can help me with this. Everything seems normal. No weird noises, acceleration is fine, clutch and tranny work fine, radio is fine, lights are fine, and i checked all the fluids.

Honestly, how does toyota create a warning system that isnt even mentioned or elaborated upon?

Only thing i can think of, is that i went through a large puddle on the road since it has been raining lately, and the water splashed up onto the windshield. But once i got home i opened the hood to make sure none of that water got inside the hood, which it didnt. but the noise started after i had already driven the truck 2 times since the splash. So i dont think thats it.

3. Jul 10, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Absolutely agree it makes no sense to have a warning and not mention it in the manual...that's why I wonder about how you disabled the seat belt warnings...makes me think the computer is in some kind of maintenance mode now.

I know there are lots of modes with the security system..found that out when googling how to program a new remote entry key fob.

Just a thought: sounds like something for the warranty to cover?

4. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Service reminder?

5. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Disconnect the battery, see if it does it. Then do the seatbelt chime off and try it again. Still making the 3 beaps?

6. Jul 11, 2010 at 1:04 AM
    lunksunkunk

lunksunkunk [OP] Member

Member:
    Gah! disconnecting the battery doesnt work. I left it disconnected for about a good 30 seconds before putting em back on. Turned on the truck again, same noise comes back. :annoyed:

7. Jul 11, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    30 seconds? that's not enough time for the computer to reset. try 30 mins

8. Jul 11, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I have no idea, but here's a picture of a rabbit with a pancake on it's head:
    [​IMG]

9. Jul 11, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I get the initial seat belt beep(3 times sounds right) like you describe if I start to drive without my seatbelt on but that is it. I have disabled the seat belt chime.

10. Jul 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    are you around 4500 to 5000 miles since the last oil change? when you start it up, check to see if the maint. required light stays onn w/ the extra beeps and goes off

11. Jul 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Ding, ding, ding. I bet that's it.

12. Jul 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Ah ha! X3

13. Jul 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    lunksunkunk

lunksunkunk [OP] Member

Member:
    Negative, the light is only on when the key is in the ON position and goes off after a few seconds which is normal. When turn on the engine, the light never appears. Anyways i change the oil myself everything 3500 miles and i reset that maint.req light with it.

On a second note ill try disconnecting the battery for a good 45 minutes tonight.

14. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
  15. Jul 11, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    lunksunkunk

lunksunkunk [OP] Member

Member:
    On another note, could it be indicating that my a/c is going out? I have noticed that my a/c changes in temperature veeery slightly. Its not like its blowing cold than hot, its kinda like on a gauge of 1 - 10 in coolness; it'll go from 10 to 8 and then back to 10 again, does it over and over.

Today when i turned on the truck, i noticed that the a/c didnt work period. But then again, i didnt exactly "ignite" the engine long enough, but it still ran. Then i turned off the truck and turned it on again, and the a/c has been working ever since.

I dont know if the a/c change temperature slightly is a normal thing and whether or not "igniting" the engine long enough will have an effect.

Thanks for the help so far, im currently trying out the disconnection of the battery for more than 30 minutes.

16. Jul 12, 2010 at 4:39 AM
    jmed99

jmed99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    When you turn off your seat belt chime it makes it such that it wont chime for like 5 minutes while you are going down the road. If I remember correctly, with the seat belt chime off it will still make 3 beeps then goes off for the rest of that trip. Could this be it?

If you get in your truck and put your seat belt on before starting it, then start it, does it then make the 3 beeps?

17. Jul 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    lunksunkunk

lunksunkunk [OP] Member

Member:
    Yea even with the belt on it does it. It just started happening about a week ago.

But all in all, i think i found out what it was. After disconnecting the battery for more than an hour, the 3 beeps still cameback but not right after the seat belt buzzer. It came back at a random time after i turned the truck on. I restarted it and it jumped in riggt after the seat belt buzzer. So then it dawned on me, maybe its my Progressive myrate tracker thats causing my dashboard to beep. So i took it off the obd and voila no more noise. Put it back on it comes right back.

18. Jul 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    Perhaps your getting close to your mileage covered under your policy and it's letting you know. I have my truck on a low mileage policy since I don't drive it too often. Just throwing an Idea out there.

Products Discussed in

To Top