1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" Toytec Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by reid, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Aug 19, 2007 at 10:51 PM
    reid

reid [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    Sorry for taking so long to those that asked for pictures earlier.

I installed the Toytec 3" spacer lift and the 2" add-a-leaf rear suspension lift. I also intalled the 1" diff. drop kit. I am posting these pictures of the truck with the stock wheels and tires so you can get an idea of the added height. I have 17" wheels and 32" Mickey Thompsons ordered and will post pics of the truck with them installed when I get them in two weeks.

The installation was straight forward. I have no experience with truck suspensions and completed the install over 2 days. You should easily be able to get it done in less than one, I had no experience and always drink beer when working. This means a lot of wasted time.

The ride is noticably stiffer, front and back. The added stiffness in the front was a welcone improvement, I find the back a little hard though.

In the end, this was the best $300 I have spent in a long time. If you are not a serious off-roader and just want the added height this is the way to go.

DSC01732A.jpg
    DSC01738A.jpg

2. Aug 20, 2007 at 6:21 PM
    MarkC

MarkC Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yokota AB, Fussa-Shi, Japan
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    2 inch spacer in the front, and homemade add a leaf in the rear, billet grille, bull bar
    looks good bro

3. Aug 21, 2007 at 5:43 PM
    XxMalfunktionxX

XxMalfunktionxX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SPORT SR5 Double Cab
    K&N Drop in, Bilstein 5100's in front with Readylift kit on top for a 3 in. lift in the front and a 1 in. block in the rear. Next project is going to be TRD Supercharger and Camburg coilover long travel system with custom skid plate and tubes. Maybe some new tires and wheels then..
    Truck looks great reid..thats awesome..you know from my previous posts that Im looking to get my truck lifted as well..although..i wanna go for a pre runner look so I might leave the rear alone..again..im not a totally serious off roader..more of a weekend warrior who likes to hit some mild mountain/desert trails and thats about it..let me know what I would wanna look for in order to get my pre runner look..maybe u can send me the link of that suspension..etc etc

again..grats on the lift..looks killer man..

4. Aug 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    looks nice reid. but does it still have a little rake to it?

5. Aug 21, 2007 at 7:32 PM
    reid

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    This is about as much rake as I think looks good. The back is still about 2" higher than the front. I talked about it in another post, but since I did this over 2 days I had a chance to see what just a front lift looked like for a day or so. Trust me it looks ugly. It looks like your truck has its front wheels up on blocks. This is 3"on the front and 2"on the back, I would not do any less on the back with this front lift. On a stock truck the rear is 3" higher than the front. Now mine is 2". Its hard to see from the pictures, but it would look stupid if they were even.

6. Aug 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    the rear is 3 inches higher than the front on a stock truck. are you sure about that?. your opinion on a raked truck is cool. personally i like it level. and that is NOT a stupid look.

7. Aug 22, 2007 at 8:35 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I'm not familiar with the term "raked"....

8. Aug 22, 2007 at 8:52 AM
    reid

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    I am not using the term correctly. It means the angle at which the wheels go out forward. A motorcycle the has long extended forks that stick way out in front has a lot of rake.
    Here rick startd using it to describe the angle that the truck sits at. I went with it.

Rick: I am serious about the level looking not that great. It looks like a lifted truck with 5000lbs in the back. I couldnt even find pics on this site of anyone who actually leveled out the truck. My Toytec kit was called a leveling kit, but the rear still sits high. And ya I measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flare. The rear of my stock truck was 3"higher. Most trucks do have a higher rear.

9. Aug 22, 2007 at 11:21 AM
    4x4

4x4 Member

Member:
    looks real good looks like you got your moneys worth. congrats.

10. Aug 27, 2007 at 10:48 AM
    reid

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    updated wheels and tires.

DSC01784A.jpg
    DSC01791A.jpg

11. Aug 27, 2007 at 12:59 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i was looking at your original pics a little closer. the ones with the original wheels and tires. I'm not sure i want a lift until i upgrade tires and wheels... specifically tires. lift looks good but those tires and rims look really small. i wonder if it would look better with my rugged trails i have from the factory. they're pretty sh!tty but they are still more aggressive than your original tires. so many mods so little money....

12. Aug 27, 2007 at 2:26 PM
    reid

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Ya, the lift was cheap. Rims and tires $1800.00... not so cheap. But I was surprised the lift with original tires was not as bad as I thought. Obviously new rims and tires look good, but you could drive around with stock ones for awhile.

13. Oct 1, 2007 at 6:21 PM
    tucsontoast

tucsontoast Active Member

Member:
    I've got the 4dr PreRunner 2wd 07, and it feels a little out of touch with the road on less than perfect road conditions, you know, kinda like the wheels aren't contacting the ground much, or you might say "light." Did your truck feel this way prior to the suspension lift and if so, did it perform better after the lift?
    Thanks! Truck looks sweet, by the way!

14. Oct 1, 2007 at 7:35 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    thats lookin sweet reid.
    tucsontoast: get some better rubber and talk to your dealer about having the TSB done. theres a link on that somewhere on here. your service manager will know about it.

15. Oct 1, 2007 at 8:29 PM
    tucsontoast

tucsontoast Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the response. I heard about the TSB on the rear springs, and I even printed out the forms the dealer sees regarding the change. Gonna get that done before acquiring the "mild" lift. And as for better rubber, BFG AllTerrains no good? They're what I'm running.
    Thanks again, ganji mon!

16. Oct 13, 2007 at 11:19 AM
    Novocaine

Novocaine Member

Member:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport Silver Streak Mica DBL Cab
    Reid your truck looks great. You have given me the inspiration to do the same thing myself. I've never attempted anything like this before. But I think I"m going to give it a try. My only concern is will I be happy with the lift vs a suspension lift. I am not a serious offroader. I do lots of hunting and fishing and occasionally hit some 4x4 trails with some buddy's. And I am hoping that the more economical spacer lift vs a suspension lift we get me the added clearance that I might need on some of the more rugged trails that my buddy's like to hit.

17. Oct 14, 2007 at 1:17 PM
    reid

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Sounds like you will be happy with the spacer lift. I am very happy with my truck. Good luck, if you have any questions just ask.

18. Oct 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    Reid, your truck looks kick @ss!!!!!! nice job....

I definitely want to put a 3" lift on my truck now....
    Like Novo, I haven't done anything this involved with my truck before but now i'm gonna give it a shot!!

think i'll use the same rims and put 33"s on....

did you run into any problems? and what was the hardest part???

Thanks

19. Oct 18, 2007 at 11:16 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    Looking at ordering the same toytec kit... it said "NO DIFF DROP KIT NEEDED!"
    just wondering, did you drop the rear end 1" to get the "rake" look you were talking about??

I don't know enough about lifts to ask the question right, but I am wondering why you needed it and why you chose to add it....

Thanks!

20. Oct 19, 2007 at 2:51 PM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Called toytec today and ordered the kit.... should be here next week and i'm gonna install it next weekend......

will post pics then

Products Discussed in

To Top