1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3-Way Front Stage

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by azTRD, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Oct 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    azTRD

azTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm looking for someone that has installed a 3-way front stage in a 2nd gen Tacoma. If you have or know anyone else who has done this can you please post pictures or send me a link on how it was set up? I have not been able to find anything on this topic.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oct 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    What type of 3 way front stage are you planning? What drivers? Is it going to be an active system? I have a few ideas myself but I'm going to stick to a two way for now.

3. Oct 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    To be honest... I don't think this is something that I would do, but I was in a car the other day with a 3-way active front stage and one sub in the back and it sounded amazing. I've never been in a car that sounded that good... very crisp. It doesn't help that I have a stock setup, which sounds horrible in comparison.

Out of curiosity, I thought I would see what it would take to run a 3-way active setup in a Tacoma. There needs to be a "Stereo Build" thread for people to show off their audio system.

4. Oct 23, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I'll be documenting my own build once I get everything moving on it. I actually just took out all the carpet earlier today so I can lay down sound deadening next week.

I don't think you need a 3way front stage to get the sound that you want. I think that a good 2way with a sub should be plenty. You just need to know what you're doing to get the results you want. I can help you get a good plan going if you want. Try defining things like budget, functions you want, music you listen to, and how adept you are at building/installing things.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Yeah, Silverback's setup sounds awesome! It's like being at a concert! Definitely worth it! But it'll be one of the last mods I do in the future! :D

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit. I just have a couple of questions. How did you mount the speakers in the kick panel... did you buy those kick panels? I don't see that your driving your tweeters directly with an amp, so I assume you have the components connected to a passive crossover?

I found this link with some pictures of a 3-way front stage using the a-pilar to mount the tweeters. I believe it's from someone on TW.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2537226

I guess my biggest question is how to effectively mount speakers in the kicks and how it sounds with the tweeters in the kicks instead of the a-pilar.

Thanks!

Edit: I found the pictures of your setup, which answered some of my questions.

7. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Stepping into a three way set is not as easy as it sounds and most guys trying it will not benefit if not hurt the sound. 99% of people are MUCH better off going with a simple two way.

8. Oct 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Yes, a true 3 way (active) front stage is a seriously daunting task. I've been at this audio thing for a while and I can't really imagine it being needed in my own car. A true 3 way active front stage needs a serious processor to even sound decent.

9. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    azTRD

Member:
    I know setting up a 3-way wont be "easy", but if you can pull it off... it's every mans dream! :wink:

I know how well a 2-way front stage can sound, but doing the research and tinkering with a different setup is half the fun.

Atsaubrey are you still selling your HIT 6.5" Clarus? I may be interested if you still have them.

10. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    atsaubrey

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Yeah I still have them, the original guy that bought them still hasnt picked them up for 6 months now. If your interested I would sell them.

Guys, you do not want the headaches of trying a 3 way front stage unless you have some experience and the processing power to make it work right. I consider myself pretty knowledgable and all but even a 3 way is a DAUNTING task for me. Stick with a badass 2 way with a bunch of power and enjoy! :)

11. Oct 26, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    atsaubrey

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sorry, didnt mean to make it sound impossible. I'll agree, a 3 way is the way to go if you have the time and money to make it all work together. My point is..I guess..don't buy a 3 way thinking it is going to sound better. That is not the case. A 3 way if tuned properly will indeed in (tough to say the next word) "most" cases sound better than a 2 way.

If you have the skills to deal with all the phase shifts and all the 3 way is indeed the way to go.

I will make a comment though. I see the industry starting to steer away from 3 ways. Many manufacturers are dumping money into "extreme bandwith" drivers now. For instance (I dont have time to go look up specs) but Genesis or The Autophile (maybe the same speaker) have a "newer" 4" or 5" driver that plays something like 80hz-20Khz now. they arent the only ones looking into that. Remember, the best sounding speaker would always be one that can play 20hz-20Khz......to bad they dont exist but we're get closer...well a lil. :)

12. Oct 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    It sounds like you're running a passive set of components up front in the kicks and 8" subs in the doors as well as 12's in the rear. Is that right? That's not really what I'd consider a 3 way front stage.

13. Oct 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    What frequency range are the 8's and the midbass in the passive set playing?

In my opinion, a 3 way front stage is one where you have a tweeter, mid, and midbass speakers that all play different frequency ranges. Most 3way setups are active but there are some good passive 3way systems that I've seen. The biggest qualification is that each of the drivers plays a different frequency range.

14. Oct 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    kartracer

kartracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad
    I have the focal 165krx3 set in my truck all by-amped with linear power amps and it sounds amazing will post pics when I can the mid range is mounted in the stock tweeter spot and it fits perfect

15. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Man I'd love to add some Hybrid L4s or similar flush off axis like that link above shows, but moving all the wiring harnesses is just too much.

I've also considered the Qforms, but they just stick out too much. I wish someone manufactured some kicks with a mild protrusion just enough to clear the wiring for a 3-4 mid.

One day I guess I'll have to take the plunge and try to glass my own.

Silverback, got pics of your kicks? Qforms or custom?

16. Oct 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    ^I've tested the L4's and they are very very nice.

I think I'll end up glassing the sail panels to hold something interesting. I'm still not sure what it will be yet but I have a good idea. I have to see how much a spare pair of sail panels will be to buy. Rule #1: Never ever glass your ONLY set of an interior panel in case it turns out terrible.

17. Oct 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    Ocean's

Ocean's Well-Known Member

Member:
    I like the idea of preparing for a great system. Was taking out the carpet hard? If I could ask. How does one know exacty where to install the sound deadening material and how much to buy? I have the Double Cab. Any pics of your install?

And Silverback07, It sounds like you really know your stuff. Very impressed with what you have done:thumbsup:

18. Oct 30, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    azTRD

Member:
    Just click on the build log in his signature... there are pictures on the first page.

19. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Ah, I see. Silberback's setup appears to be the qforms.

ok, here's one for debate. Hopefully someone has heard these 2 configurations and can speak to their pros/cons. I'd really like to know which would sound better.

Front 3-way Config #1:

-Tweets moved to a-pillars or sail panels.
    -Mids 3 or 4 inchers in stock tweeter locations.
    -Midbass in stock low door locations.

Front 3-way Config #2:

-Tweets in stock locations
    -Mids 3 or 4 inchers in kick panels.
    -Midbass in stock low door locations.

Also, I've seen pics of Dynaudio and Hybrid Audio 8 inch woofers mounted in gen 2 Tacoma doors before. Does anybody know if it's just a matter of getting the proper baffles cut, or do you also need to trim metal from the door? Also, can the window roll all the way down?

20. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    azTRD

Member:
    From what I've seen, you can fit the 8's in the door without any trimming of metal or problems with the windows. I believe that is what silverback has in his truck if I'm not mistaken.

Products Discussed in

To Top