1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3-way tuning question(s)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by winterboy04, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    winterboy04

winterboy04 [OP] Professional Cube-Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD (Bright Red)
    Alpine CDA-9886 Hybrid Audio Unity Series components JL 250.1, JL300.4 Infinity Perfect 10.1 SVC 4ohm in custom enclosure / amp rack Alpine PXA-H100 Processor FatMat everywhere URD short shifter OEM Bed Mat Tail Gate Safety Mod (Plumbing clamps) Pro-Dry S Filter
    I have just setup my Tacoma to be actively processed and running in three-way configuration. i have a couple newbie questions:

1. i have removed my passive crossovers, so how do i set my crossovers for my mids. My amp is set for a HPF at around 60hz so i don't send the low-lows to the mids, but how do i cut the high frequencies so that just the tweets will deliver them. is that something i should be doing with my imprint processor? or will the mids just not play them because they "can't"?
    You can see details of everything ive done to the stereo here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/90547-mike-winterboy04s-tacoma-build.html

I have an ALPINE CDA-9886 -->Imprint PXA-H100 --> JL 400.4 --> H.A.T. Unity 6.5" components

2. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    fishntaco

fishntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Mobile Al
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Streak DCLB Prerunner Sport
    Are you running a three way with tweeters, mids, midbass, and sub or are you considering a three way the tweeter, midbass, and sub? If it is the latter, which I assume it is, you need to set a bandpass filter for your mids. Set you high pass where you want your sub to take over and then your low where the tweeters need to come in.

3. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    winterboy04

winterboy04 [OP] Professional Cube-Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD (Bright Red)
    Alpine CDA-9886 Hybrid Audio Unity Series components JL 250.1, JL300.4 Infinity Perfect 10.1 SVC 4ohm in custom enclosure / amp rack Alpine PXA-H100 Processor FatMat everywhere URD short shifter OEM Bed Mat Tail Gate Safety Mod (Plumbing clamps) Pro-Dry S Filter
    wow... crutchfield is awesome. Turns out i already have a bandpass filter! Thanks for the reply FishNTaco:

• 2.2 Channel:
      • Tweeter/High Pass Filter: crossover from 1 kHz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
      • Midrange/Band Pass Filter: a band pass has both high pass and low pass filters; HPF 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct; LPF from 20 Hz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
      • Subwoofer/Low Pass Filter: the subwoofer output can be stereo or mono; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB

4. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    fishntaco

fishntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Mobile Al
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Streak DCLB Prerunner Sport
    You're going to have to play around with it to find out where it sounds the best. It's not just a set it and forget kind of thing. An active setup takes a lot of time to set up properly.

Products Discussed in

To Top