1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

30k maint ? & opinions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Do58, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    Do58

Do58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma limited
    hello.... have a couple questions for you members. 2015 Tacoma with about 26k miles on it. My Toyota dealership has been awsome but I was thinking that it was about time for me to do the minor maintenance myself. Was thinking about switching to synthetic every 5k and doing the tune up and so forth. Well, I looked in the manual and I found a card that gives my truck oil changes until 100k or or 2019. Con every 5k or syn every 10k. Would you take them up on it because I'm sure my wife paid for it or just do it yourself knowing what's going in the truck? Also I noticed that in the warranty schedule for the replacing the spark plugs, there is a fine print #4. It states that maintenance services of spark plugs are required inter terms of the emissions control warranty. So would you let them do it too or just do it yourself? Haven't done either before but read plenty on how to do not really concerned. Just thought if it's covered why not?.
    Thanks

image.jpg

2. Feb 12, 2017 at 4:20 PM
    Do58

Member:
    Vehicle:
  3. Feb 14, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    road2cycle

road2cycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 Limited
    If you trust the service department at the dealership I'd go ahead and let them do the oil change and tire rotation. In my opinion it's just not economical to do those yourself and you've already pre-paid the oil changes. I'm sure others will disagree and I can live with that. They'll most likely do an inspection as well. I figure let the service department tell you what needs fixing then you can decide if you want to tackle it yourself or pay them to do it.

The rear differential fluid is easy to change. Not sure if yours is a 4x4 but the front differential and transfer case fluid changes are easy as well. So are the engine and cabin air filters. The tranny fluid is a bit more complex due to the lack of a dipstick but also doable DIY. I haven't changed the spark plugs on my 2014 yet (only at 19k miles) but on my 1st gen V6 it wasn't too bad. Just search through this forum for instructions on how to do the various maintenance items and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks on this forum.

4. Feb 15, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    I would definitely pay the dealer to check the installation of my driver side floor mat. I feel comfortable checking the passenger side, but the driver's side is a completely different process what with the pedals and all. That's just something you don't mess around with unless you really know what you are doing.

300AACTaco likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    Do58

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So my truck is a 4.0 v6 prerunner 2wd. I assume that all I need to change is the oil, plugs and rear diff fluid? I apologize for my ignorance ( never worked on cars before or had anyone show me around the mechanical side of them ) but I assume the front diff is for 4x4? Don't know what that is or for really ( guess I can google ). As for the filters I just replaced them. I have seen multiple videos and read many threads on oil change and seems pretty easy. (Just don't want to over tighten anything) same with the spark plugs. Looks manageable for me but again don't want to over tighten. I appreciate any and all comments

On a side note. Is the proper way of rotating the tires include the spare? Is that common the places do that ( not talking about you doing it yourself )? Is that standard practices and when the dealer "rotates" every 5k are they doing that too?

6. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    diabetiktaco

diabetiktaco Instalander

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Lexus LX 470
    Yes, front diff is 4x4. Plugs, oil, filters, diff fluid is beyond easy. Even for a beginner. Plugs may be a tad more tricky. Make sure to read up on torque specs, etc and take your time. This is a very easy vehicle to work on. Even a battery change is less than 3 mins.

7. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    300AACTaco

300AACTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black '15 DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    ARB Old Man Emu 90000s and 60091s OME 886s, Trim Packer, Icon Tubular Uniball UCAs, CMC, Invisible Sway Bar, Dakar Rear Leaf Packs, Timbren Rear Bumpstops, All Pro U-bolt flip up kit, Method Race Wheels NV 16X8 4.5BS, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16, DEPO Black Tail Lights, Weathertech Floormats, Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Shasta in Earth Tone Green, Custom Green Tree Fabrication Bed Rack, N-Fab Spare Tire Bed Mount
    Consult a professional floor mat installer

8. Feb 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    I'd let them change the oil since I'm sure you've already paid for the service and no sense in paying for something twice. As for everything else, if you are half way competent in the garage then you can do it. This truck is ridiculously easy to work on and with this forum you can find a detailed description of everything you need to do.

9. Feb 15, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    road2cycle

road2cycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sonoma County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 Limited
    Since yours is a Pre-Runner you also don't have to worry about changing the transfer case fluid since there isn't a transfer case.

If you're worried about over-torquing something invest in a torque wrench. For spark plugs which require very little torque I recommend a torque wrench which adjusts in inch-pound increments. Only use a torque wrench which you care about for tightening things. Use a breaker bar or ratchet for loosening things.

For the rear diff and any other larger bolts you'll need something with leverage to break the bolts loose. You can use a breaker bar or go to Harbor Freight and buy their 1/2 inch torque wrench ($10 with coupon) and use it as a ratcheting breaker bar. Just don't use your "breaker bar" torque wrench to tighten bolts to spec since using it as a breaker bar will most likely cause it to be out of calibration.

Products Discussed in

To Top