1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

31M Rabbit hole and questions.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by winnili, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Oct 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    winnili

winnili [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Vehicle:
    09 4wd LB tacoma
    leer topper, bedrug much more to come
    Hello,
    First off let me start by saying I went down a 4-6 hour rabbit hole last night researching dual battery setups vs single. I'm the type of guy that likes to plan and think things out but unfortunately my battery took a sh*t yesterday which is forcing me to rush. I plan on running a ARB fridge soon as well as a winch and compressor, I will of course eventually go to a full dual because of accessories i'm going to be running and the ability to jump myself if the need arises.

This is what i'm considering buying for the now situation though. the Pelfreybilt Battery cage which comes up a lot around here. I'm also looking at switching to the 31M Optima, because i'm in Montana and the other compatibly batteries aren't as available that would work in the battery cage.

Will my standard leads work switching my 2009 Tacoma Group 27 leads over? (I realize this might be a stupid question however I do not mix with electrical)

Should I change any other components out?

Things I should know about a Optima Maritime blue top in Montana Winters?

Will my stock alternator do OK will the increase in Battery Size and charging? Is this going to have any negative effect on the battery?

Thanks as always for the help as you guys are bad for the bank account but good at helping me not mess things up.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Hoover and TACOVRD like this.
  2. Oct 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    Subd for interest in responses.

Hoover and winnili[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    winnili

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Vehicle:
    09 4wd LB tacoma
    Just ordered the Pelfreybilt cage. Fingers crossed i'm making the right call.

BassAckwards and TACOVRD like this.
  4. Oct 21, 2017 at 6:51 PM
    Hoover

Hoover Clear alcohol is for rich women on diets.

Member:
    First Name:
    Hoover
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD off-road
    RevTek & 5100s. Blocked on rear. K&N intake. Fog light mod. Flashlight holder. LED interior lights.
    :popcorn:

winnili[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 21, 2017 at 6:56 PM
    ttran076

ttran076 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Kings, TC UCA, Dakars, Prinsu rack, ARB Snorkel, Method NV, Wildpeak AT3
  6. Oct 21, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    If you're going to 31m. Might as well get the Northstar. My 27f Northstar runs my winch regularly and the alternator has no problem recharging it.

Replace your radiator support mount bushings with the Energy Suspension poly bushings since you're adding so much weight up there

winnili[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 21, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    winnili

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Vehicle:
    09 4wd LB tacoma
    The stock grouping is a 27 my concern was that the jump up to a 31M might cause issues for the alternator also im not sure how the alternator handles a Maritime battery and if its truly different. I would love to get a Northstar however they arent available in Montana locally as I stopped everywhere today and struck out every time.

A Lot to research still.

8. Oct 21, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I've never heard of a alternator problem moving to 31.

If you spend much time off road even the weight of the stock 27 will eventually start tearing sheet metal below the battery in the wheel well and possibly radiator supports as well. The 31 will accelerate that process. Sadly there seems to be no practical way to reinforce the battery supports and the PB cage doesn't help with that. Many eventually relocate the battery to the bed.

This isn't to say "don't do it" but rather to warn you to read up on the issue so you know what spots to monitor for cracks/tears over time.

winnili[OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM
    winnili

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Vehicle:
    09 4wd LB tacoma

That's why i'm here is to learn from the guys who have been around and learned those painful lessons its much appreciated.

10. Oct 21, 2017 at 9:22 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Batteries and Bulbs sells Northstar batteries rebranded under the name X2

I bought mine in Kalispell

I kinda wish I had gone 31m, but no problems with my 27 yet. Once in awhile I throw the charger on it and it's already full.

V6 Tacomas sold in cold weather areas have the 130 amp alternator. It does a good job charging the battery.

winnili[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top