1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

38 years old. Contemplating retiring

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by toyotatacomaTRD, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Feb 10, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    I'm in a position where I don't need to work anymore. I'm not what you'd consider wealthy by any stretch. I make a good living, but the stress of my current work has taken it's toll on me. We do not have kids. My wife and I are the same age, she loves her work and plans on going until 55-60, she's completely on board and has encouraged me to stop working.

100 percent of my paycheck has been going into savings and/or retirement the last 3+ years. I think mainly because I dislike my job so much, the uncertainty of working until a realistic retirement age has never felt like a possibility, so i'm afraid to spend. My wife and I both came from parents who were very much into saving. We could live on her income and make no changes to how we currently live and still be able to save.

I'm not quite sure what I would do. My wife would be working all day. I have a core group of friends, but they'll all be working.

I'm concerned if I do stop working and do not like it, having a big gap in employment would keep me from getting a job I'm qualified for. My wife has suggested doing something completely mindless. But the idea of working for a lot less of what I'm currently making doesn't sound like something I'd want to do.

Jmac2408 and Gunshot-6A like this.
  2. Feb 10, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    melikeymy beer

melikeymy beer Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Take a break to think about what you want to do. Money is great but if you're dead it's hard to enjoy.

3. Feb 10, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    If you want to retire then retire.

Don't stop making money though. Find a hobby to keep mind and body flexible. Learn how to install lift kits, rebuild shocks, weld and do CMC and sliders.

That's if you're into Tacomas a lot

4. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    PugetSoundTaco

PugetSoundTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Highlux
    You have until you’re 39 to join the Air Force :plane:

5. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    Kabanstva

Kabanstva Well-Known Member

Member:
    Retire from the current job that's stressing you out and start your own company doing something you love. Sounds like you have some money for start up capital. What are your hobbies? I'd start with that.

Jmac2408, Bagman and melikeymy beer like this.
  6. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    nickj604

nickj604 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2019 RAM 1500
    To be announced
    My god retretire man. I'm 35 this year if I could pull the pin and do something to kill time I'd cut grass. I'd get a big zero turn mower and cut football/ soccer fields all day. Golf courses would be awesome to. I've had stressfull jobs and let me tell you there isnt a better feeling then going inside and giving your 2 weeks and not giving a flying fuck at a place that caused you so much stress. I'm now permanently on blood pressure pill. Hyper tension is awesome 180/100 & 100bpm

RETIRE AND ENJOY LIFE FOR WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO BE

7. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    MuddySquirrel

MuddySquirrel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco 6-speed Off-Road
    Congratulations! You're one of the lucky people to have complete financial freedom.

a) Quit your job - it sounds like you hate it and have no objective reason to continue to work it.

b) Find something that you love to do, and pick it up as a volunteer or part time job.... but with the mindset that you're not working for your paycheck; you're just finding somewhere that will pay you to do something you'd do for free. Like to ride? Get a part-time job at a bike store. Like to bake? Find a bakery that's hiring part time, or bake for a food kitchen. Like to wrench? Work at a garage.
    You've tried the working for money thing, and done it well enough that you don't have to anymore. Now you're working for you, picking the kind of thing that 7-year-old you wanted to do when you grew up.
    That keeps you busy, gives you both some structure and some flexibility. If you find yourself liking the working bits more pick up more shifts, if you like them less work less. You don't have to decide the next 40 years today; just today. Eventually you'll either find something you love and can't believe people pay you to do, or start your own thing... you have the luxury right now of not having to worry about paying rent until you find it (and, even more important, a supportive wife).

Clucky, skierd, Jmac2408 and 4 others like this.
  8. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Working on them
    I did that once..... and it got old after awhile went back to work, first year was great then because same deal all my friends were working and not me.... and you suddenly find that you are spending money on things you normally would not have.... Lay out a Plan first because if you go off without one you might end up going bonkers....

9. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    If your job is high stress and not worth it to you anymore and you don’t need the money, then quit. Life is too short to be stressed out and unhappy with where you spend the bulk of your day.

If money doesn’t matter, find a job doing what you want to do/are interested in. Think about what your hobbies are and find a job in something related. It will probably pay way less, but do it out of interest/passion and not the paycheck. Like off road oriented things, get a job at an off road shop. Like wine, get a job at a winery to help make wine. Guns, gun range or gunsmith. Do something to occupy your interest and time and make some money at the same time. You could always try to start a business in those areas too, but it is far more risky and if you’re trying to get away from stress that may not be the best move. Being retired at home while everyone is working with no plans will likely get old quickly.

10. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    I retired at 31 and I do investments to keep me making money. The real estate market where I live is insane and made a good amount off of that. I don’t live outside my means. My wife still works full time and we have a 18 month old daughter. I can honestly say that being retired this young is kind of boring so have lots of low cost hobbies.

suaveflooder, PzTank, Mully and 4 others like this.
  11. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    Stash419

Stash419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black SR5 AC V6
    Ongoing Process
    Like others have said make money with your hobbies.
    Side Note - maybe it’s not your job you’re so stressed out by saving every penny instead of spending it on hobbies or vacation. You can’t take it with you when your dead.

12. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Yes sir what good in money if you can’t enjoy it.

tcjacado and Stash419[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    DW85

DW85 Dude.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab Tacoma TRD 4x4/2004 SR5 V6 4Runner
    Tacoma: Badlands basher front bumper Trail gear rear bumper Trail gear sliders OME Dakar’s OME 883 Coils Bilstein 5100s front Bilstein 5125s rear SPC Upper Control Arms Wheeler’s Extended brake lines ProComp 51 Series 15x8 3.5” BS 32x11.50x15 BFG KO2’s Honda CR-V windshield washer nozzles Hella 500FF fog lights Energy Suspension power steering rack bushings 4Runner: Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265/70r17’s TPMS Bypass mod RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch light brackets 1.25” Wheel Spacers 2” Front Leveling Kit
    Decide what you want retire from current job or keep working current job. You sound conflicted. Old saying you can’t have your cake and eat it too. There will be certain sacrifices either way.

14. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Are there a lot of people over 30 who join?

theredofshaw likes this.
  15. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Money is nice, but I ain't never seen a brinks truck following a hearse.

16. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    PugetSoundTaco

PugetSoundTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Highlux
    Mostly reservists but, yes, every now and again.

17. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is there anyway to just take family sick leave from current job... take a few months to think the decision over. If you enjoy what you are doing, then don't return and send a resignation letter.

nickj604 and DW85 like this.
  18. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    Mateo74

Mateo74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NWI
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma Sr5 Blazing blue pearl
    Also 31 and retired, figured out early in life that money doesn't make you happy. Wife and I live simply but have everything we want. As others have said persue your interests and learn to make some money off of it.

19. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    @NunyaBizness
    Inform the gentleman how good it feels to quit a stressful job.

20. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    When I got out of high school I was a meter reader. I walked alot but it was an ok really low stress job. It would keep you active and has benefits. It was like a part time job that had full time hrs and health insurance. It paid ok for what it was and really only sucked if it rained.

toyotatacomaTRD[OP] likes this.
To Top