1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen curved tailgate

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Yellow dog, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jan 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    Yellow dog

Yellow dog [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD
    I have a deposit down on a 2017 OR Access Cab Inferno. I had planned to move the Flip Pac from my 2004 OR, but noticed the tailgate on the '17 is about 1.5 inches wider at the center than at the edges (top of the tailgate). So it's not straight across at the back, like my rear window on the FlipPac is. Every topper I've ever seen has flat rear glass. In general, throughout time immemorial, tailgates, too, have been flat side to side. Now they're all faaancy!

If you have a 3rd Gen and a topper, how does the rear glass fit the tailgate and close tight?

2. Jan 31, 2017 at 1:17 PM
    Yellow dog

Yellow dog [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD
    IMG_3123.jpg. This is what I mean.

3. Feb 3, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I used to have a FlipPac but sold it when I got my 3rd gen as it was for a different sized bed. Since FlipPac (FRP) is out of business you won't be able to buy a rear liftgate frame that fits, but you might be able to make something work. 3rd gen toppers typically have an extra curved molded piece of plastic, attached to the bottom of the liftgate that seals against the rear of the gate. However, some of the more "exotic", low-volume campers which typically don't have tooled/molded parts, like the new AT Habitat or AluCab, and have a simple flat liftgate, seem to seal across the top surface of the tailgate. So you could trim off the lower edge of the FlipPac liftgate frame, rivet on an angle, and apply bulb deal to the bottom surface. I'd also check on expeditionportal.com and americanadventurist.com as I believe the topic may have come up there. Good luck!

EDIT: By the way, if you can't find a 3rd gen with topper in your area to look at, just look for a late model Ford or Ram with a shell; they're similar to the Toyota and the solution used by ARE, Leer etc is similar.

4. Feb 6, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    Yellow dog

Yellow dog [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD
    Thank you so much! This answers my questions better than any resource so far. I am looking into the AT Tacoma Habitat, now.

5. Feb 9, 2017 at 4:28 AM
    DJ TonyT

DJ TonyT 2017 TRD 4x4 Off Road DCSB - Sunroof and JBL

Member:
    First Name:
    TonyT
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Off Road DCSB - Sunroof and JBL
    Buy my topper, it has the molded piece on the bottom of the lift gate - it is listed in the For Sale section or you can PM me.
    TAco back.jpg Topper 1.jpg

6. Feb 10, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    Yellow dog

Yellow dog [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD

Products Discussed in

To Top