1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen. Intermittent Radio Reboot / Entune problems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Deucailion, May 23, 2018.

1. Jul 25, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    oretaco

oretaco Daddy and/or Papí

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 SW SR DCSB
    Mods in signature
    Just started peaking at this thread and that's an issue with Carplay headunits for other manufacturers too. My folks have a 2018 Grand Cherokee and their headunit either freezes or renders useless when both of them are in the vehicle yet when I drive it or am in the vehicle, I can connect and the radio works fine with my Galaxy S10+

2. Jul 25, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    oretaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 SW SR DCSB
    Mods in signature
    Well there is part of your issue. You're using a beta software expecting to work 100% of the time.

3. Jul 25, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    arnette64

arnette64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amos, QC (Canada)
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD Sport Double Cab 4X4
    '16 Inferno TRD sport DC
    You're right, but why i don't have this issue with other manufacturer? And my wife is on ios 12.4 on iphone X and got the reboot issue so it can't be just because i was on beta version on my phone, the problem is with the radio itself!

oretaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 25, 2019 at 6:55 AM
    johnnyroid

johnnyroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vine Grove (Fort Knox) Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Sport TRD
    IPhone.......iuFQRBGNUV.jpg

5. Jul 25, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    Wasatchrider

Wasatchrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    what kind of truck are you going to get?

6. Jul 25, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    oretaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 SW SR DCSB
    Mods in signature
    Could be another issue with iOS. I personally haven't heard of an issue on Androids. I could be wrong, and I probably am about that.

Fuckin preach lmfao. #androidlife

johnnyroid[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    Taco_Craig

Taco_Craig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma, DCSB TRD-OR
    RCI Sliders/Plates, Icon [Stage 3] Suspension
    Anyone who develops for both Android and iOS won't necessarily sing the praises of one platform over the other. I've got dozens of Pixels, Samsungs, iPhones in my desk and I can bitch about all of them. I think I've even got a pile of old Blackberries somewhere. There's no perfect platform. It's about managing your expectations... the computerized devices in our vehicles are growing more complex, and are starting to exhibit all the same problems as your laptops.

Both the Entune and the mobile devices are complex portable computers capable of being configured in an infinite number of ways, and there's no way that Toyota or Apple or Samsung or etc. is going to test all the iterations. That doesn't mean it's broken, it just means you gotta figure the shit out. Everyone's got little personal quirks that they think are the "normal way" of doing things, and you need to dissect those behaviors to find the root cause.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but this is kinda my professional life for the last 25 years.

@arnette64 -- you're running beta software... have you reported your issues to Apple?

8. Jul 25, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    arnette64

arnette64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amos, QC (Canada)
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD Sport Double Cab 4X4
    '16 Inferno TRD sport DC
    Yes i've reported this issue via feedback app to apple

Taco_Craig[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 10, 2019 at 6:37 PM
    Mugsy7

Mugsy7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mugsy
    Delco, PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR DCSB
    Truxedo Pro X15 tonneau, front tinted windows
    Never had any issues until July when there was an update to the head unit. Now i get random reboots or my phone is no longer connected after a few minutes...wonder if the 2020 head units will be compatible.

10. Oct 22, 2019 at 10:30 PM
    nivragni24

nivragni24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR 4x4
    Have this problem today and started googling for diagnostics... so it seems im not the only one with rebooting HU issues.

11. Oct 23, 2019 at 3:14 AM
    Rick67

Rick67 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    Mine started with I phone 13 update.

12. Oct 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    pc77

pc77 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TACOMA TRD SPORT
    just happens to me. I noticed it only happens when the Bluetooth is connected in my case. I was trying to figure it out what’s different since my last connection. I have an application from my workplace that automatically update my contacts for my coworkers with their work emails phone numbers and what looks like security codes to avoid read some information. I erase all that useless information restart my iPhone and everything is back to normal.

13. Oct 30, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    Tacomen

Tacomen Member

Member:
    Hi, it also happens with Androids... The problem is the Entune Head Unit. I read some posts that pioneer aftermarket head unit do the same issue. Please clarify if there is any HU replacement that can do the job.

Also, I suggest you all to file the complaint in your respective model in the NHTSA. Here is the direct link to report the issue (or any other issue) https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

14. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    apcaudle

apcaudle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD premium- Blaze
    Stock
    I’m having the same issue. I emailed this to Toyota and still have not heard back;

“The control head on my 2018 Toyota Tacoma keeps malfunctioning. There are times the control head locks up then restarts itself and there are times(several per day), when the Bluetooth feature stops working partially. For example, I drive quite a bit and own my own business. I receive business calls frequently and use the hands free feature of the truck to stay safe and obey the law here in Tennessee. Many times the control head will say call ended but the call is still active on my phone. I have to scramble and turn off the Bluetooth on my phone while driving and hold the phone to my ear to continue the call. This has been happening much more frequently and now I just use my earbuds that came with the phone because the control head is completely unreliable.

I had the technicians at Murfreesboro Toyota look at it and they updated the software last month. The software update did not fix the issue. Control head is still restarting constantly and drops calls.

I’m very disappointed because one of the reasons I purchased the $40,000 premium model tacoma was because of the driver control features and leather interior. What, if anything can be done about this issue? “

15. Dec 24, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    Tacomen

Tacomen Member

Member:
    Hi everyone I got the T-SB-0279-17 Rev 2 update installed at the dealer at no cost and the issue seems to be solved. Wish it may help you all. It's been around 1-2months and I have no rebooting issue.

Twize, BSCowboy and Cochisecrusher like this.
  16. Jan 16, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    Mrob91

Mrob91 New Member

Member:
    Hi All,

my radio just started doing this a few days ago on my 2019 TRD. It pretty much constantly reboots when I’m in the car. Extremely frustrating. I called the dealer and am taking it in Monday. Hopefully this isn’t a big issue. Having this issue and now this whole fuel pump thing really is annoying.

17. Jan 21, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    Twize

Twize Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 BLK TRD PRO 6MT
    This reboot issue started for me this morning. Will try the BT suggestions. If all else fails, will contact the dealer for the T-SB-0279-17 Rev 2 update. Frustrating indeed!

18. Feb 5, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tacoma SB TRD OR
    Same issue started happening with my 2019 TRD OR w/tech package. Purchased July of 2019.
    1st occurrence and attempt for repair: Dec. 12th 2019: dealer performed software upgrade. Issue resolved for less than a month.
    2nd occurrence attempt for repair: Jan. 6th, 2020 Dealer confirmed Head unit keeps rebooting. Said the next step is to replace the head unit (per protocol). I was told it would take one week to get the replacement unit. No call.
    3rd attempt: I called the dealer Jan. 20th and they apologized for not calling me. The head unit is on back order until sometime in March. Dealer said they have no other information.
    I called Toyota Corp. and they confirmed the Head Unit is on manufacture backorder with no eta. I was told Toyota executives have escalated the issue to Panasonic, but no response at this time. It’s a case by case basis.
    I was also told that if the head unit is replaced by any other model it would effect the warranty. Therefore Toyota would not replace the head unit, because per warranty it must be the same model...
    Lemon law is based on state by state:
    To Use Oregon’s Lemon Law
    To qualify for protection under Oregon’s Lemon Law:

• A part or system under warranty must not be working. The problem must be significant enough to substantially reduce the vehicle’s use, value or safety.
    • Each malfunction must be reported to the manufacturer or dealer. They will have an opportunity to fix the problem.
    • At least three failed attempts to fix the problem must be made (at least one attempt if the problem is likely to cause injury or death), or the vehicle must be in the shop for a combined total of 30 or more calendar days (60 or more calendar days for a motor home).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  19. Feb 10, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tacoma SB TRD OR
    Update:... Received a call from the dealership stating they have a new update that will solve my head unit rebooting issue... Took my Tacoma to the dealership and waited 2 plus hrs. Reconnected my bluetooth and the rebooting started happening right away. Service rep. agreed with my frustration and safety concerns. When you buy a new truck it should have a functioning head unit... I’ve wasted days at the dealership and my hands are tied, because replacing the head unit myself would negate the warranty. (Per. Toyota Corp.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  20. Feb 10, 2020 at 3:11 PM
    Twize

Twize Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 BLK TRD PRO 6MT
    Well that Bites! What is Toyota going to do next on your vehicle?
    Knock on wood, the reboot hasn’t came back yet after removing my device from BT, and rePairing it back. I also cleared any special characters (-/:;etc) from the contact names. Not sure if this contributed to the issue. Hope they take care of you and the truck to resolve this issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top