1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen. Intermittent Radio Reboot / Entune problems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Deucailion, May 23, 2018.

1. Feb 10, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    2017OR

2017OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    TRD exhaust, Pro Grill, Access Tonneau cover, TRD Pro wheels, BumperShellz, Pro shift know, Yota LED grille lights
    Think this is an IOS issue. Several updates have come out but haven’t been successful. This is what I saw as a suggestion and I haven’t had any issues. Also, my brother has this same issue with his 4Runner and this worked as well. In Bluetooth settings, toggle off the “show notifications” and “sync contacts” options.
    0196437C-89C4-49DA-B34E-4011DDD9F219.jpg

htacoj and arnette64 like this.
  2. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Tacoma SB TRD OR
    Not likely. If you read some of the other threads, some state that they have Android phones. Toyota recognizes the issue, but it’s sporadic and they’re blaming Panasonic. There are options available, but not without voiding the warranty... I’ve filed a Lemon Law complaint and they’re suppose to get back to me in 3-5 business days. It's illegal in Oregon to operate talk/text. Hands Free state = safety concerns. The service rep. told me to pull over if I need to use my phone. Yes, I could pull over to talk... I could also stick my arm out the window to signal a turn.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  3. Feb 11, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Interesting enough. I am on a business trip and the rental car company gave me a Tacoma w/the same head unit. I synced my phone/bluetooth and no issues. Doesn’t seem to be an ios issue.

4. Feb 14, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    htacoj

htacoj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    How old is your iPhone? I have an iPhone 8 and just updated to iOS 13. My gut is telling me it is iOS 13 with an older iPhone. Aka apple wants us to upgrade.

Literally the second my truck was connected via bluetooth on iOS 13 all hell broke loose. And I mean it freaks out, shuts off every 10 seconds. The way I got my to stop was restarting the iPhone and leaving bluetooth off. It does also tweak with the charging port (front dash not inside console) so its definitely during the sync and/or bluetooth process.

Im in Oregon too but the lemon shit sounds like a headacheeee. No way would a dealership can fix a computer issue they can barely change my oil right. Im going to try the options listened above for the 4runner first. If that fails I will just then get a new iPhone then upgrade the HU.

5. Feb 14, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    htacoj

htacoj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Update!

This worked for my iPhone 8 on iOS 13 and 2019 TRD OR.

2017OR[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 15, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Update: Since this escalated to Toyota corp. I’ve had the software update without any change. The next day they called me and miraculously got in a new head unit. Had that installed and it worked great for 4hrs. I’m
    I’ve filed a complaint for arbitration with NCDS (National Center for Dispute Settlement). Toyota initiated this phase. It’s supposedly some type of arbitration...?

7. Feb 15, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    htacoj

htacoj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Again, how olds your iPhone?

Try the 4Runner solution; worked for me. Unless of course you wanna be a pain in everyone’s ass.

8. Feb 15, 2020 at 4:44 PM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    It’s iPhone XR. Tried the 4Runner fix. Not trying to be a pain in everyone’s ass. Just want what I’m paying for to work like it's suppose to.

Toms 17 likes this.
  9. Feb 15, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    htacoj

htacoj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    What iOS?

10. Feb 15, 2020 at 5:57 PM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:

11. Feb 15, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    htacoj

htacoj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    If this is your second HU it definitely doesn't sound like a HU problem. That should have narrowed that down.

Try going into your Tacoma and deleting your phone from the bluetooth log. Restart your phone. Repair phone in bluetooth and unselect contact sync. No offense but if your jumping to the lemon law I don't really believe that you tried the fix. Post screen shot.

I read this "So, finally I had a chat with the service guy and he said that he has seen that happen when people have pictures as part of some of their contacts on their phone. I tried it, and disabled contact syncing, and after driving the car repeatedly I can now say this is not happening to me any longer. I never used the contact syncing anyway, so I do not care too much about it."

and this "Our 2014 Highlander has had nothing but problems with the entune system. Toyota replaced the head unit once and the CPU once, but since then they have just told us "user error" whenever we experience problems with reboots or just plain old non-functionality. They're patched and updated it numerous times. It'll work for a few days or even weeks, then will stop receiving phone calls or texts, or will even refuse to recognize an iPhone connected via Bluetooth or the hardwire. Toyota told us it's an iPhone incompatibility. Garbage. Replacing the whole thing with a Pioneer system with wireless CarPlay."

Found those on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmmENpOo0E

This sounds like a fat ass headache for you. Trying to help but seems your mind was made up during your first post.

Here. Go all the way to 3:03 but turn Sync contacts off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbX-t-eQlVc

12. Feb 15, 2020 at 10:44 PM
    BOIOR

BOIOR Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the help. I haven't deleted/unsynced entune from my iPhone. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

13. Mar 30, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    skybolt

skybolt Active Member

Member:
    I don't know if anyone has truly found a fix for the reboot problem but I did find a remedy that worked for me.

The problem appears to be memory size. I don't know if this is the fact or just the appearance. My problem, thoughts and conclusions are as follows.

I have a 2017 Tacoma with entune premium. All was good but every now and then I would come across an address that was to new. No other problems. So, in 2019 I bought a newer version on a micro SD card, genuine Toyota. The install went well. A week later I paired my wife's new phone and that's when the trouble started. From then on for a year I battled with Toyota and searched the web for answers. All to no avail. Every thing that was suggested did not fix the issue. I even went so far as to wipe all info off, unpair all phones,, soft reboot and then pull the power from the unit and wait a few days. Starting from a fresh unit anain it went down hill from there and no resolution.

Thinking about the fact that the system has trouble with file size for audio and having had trouble when more contacts or image files overloaded the system. Bingo, I thought. So, starting from a clean install again I inserted the old map SD card and went through the new file process. Nothing of note or strange happened. Since that time I have been running the old system with no reboots.

To go from reboots a couple of times per trip to no reboots in over a year is working for me. Today's date is Tuesday March 30th 2021.

Hope this helps someone or can be used as a stepping stone to the real permanent fix.

Len

Just checking in, Wednesday, May 26 and still no problems with original map software.

Feb. 20th 2022. Still no issues.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  14. Jun 10, 2021 at 8:51 PM
    DavidY

DavidY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma V6
    I had this same thing happen on my stereo. I was given the biggest runaround on this. Had to work with 2 different dealerships bringing the truck in MANY MANY times. Continued to just get the stupid "firmware updates" and sent on my way only to have the problem keep happening. It continued so long my truck was outside the 30K warranty and one of the dealerships refused any further help. Finally I think they realized that I would not give up. I share your pain and COMPLETELY understand why you would try to make a Lemon Claim on this. Can't believe anyone would consider it frivolous, and your response to that person was excellent.

SandyTaco4x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top