1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen non JBL Entune Clipping Measurements

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by trlove, May 18, 2019.

1. May 18, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    trlove

trlove [OP] Member

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Sport
    While installing the frequently discussed Kicker speaker upgrade, I also installed a Kicker 4 channel and Kicker Mono amp to add more power. I installed the Kicker 43TCWRT674 as my sub, just enough fill out the low end.

Anyhow, before setting the gains on the amps, I wanted to know when the stock headunit was sending a clipped signal. I have the non-JBL Entune headunit in my 2017 TRD Sport. I measured both the front and rear with a 1kHz and 50Hz signal. Using the DSO138 mini oscilloscope from JYE Tech, I measured when the headunit would clip at those signals. See the attached PDF for the measurements.

The Front will not clip a 1kHz signal at max volume (63). The oscilloscope measured 7.13 Volts RMS at max volume. The Front did clip on the 50Hz signal at volume 51 at 8.51 Volts RMS.

The Rear clipped at volume 47 at 8.27 Volts RMS (1kHz) and volume 51 at 8.35 Volts RMS (50Hz).

The attached PDF does reveal how weak (low voltage) the signal is from the stock headunit.

Just wanted to share what I measured.

Attached Files:

dherring256, Trance93 and rob feature like this.
  2. Dec 1, 2021 at 4:24 PM
    dherring256

dherring256 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco, 18 Thundra
    Super old post, but thanks for this. I just upgraded the speakers, but don’t really want to upgrade the HU. I think I will be attempting to splice a Kicker KEY200.4 to boost the aftermarket speakers.

Products Discussed in

To Top