1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Tacoma HAI's Cable Assy. for Front/Rear Camera Anytime, Navigation Override, Smartphone Mirr

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2016-2023)' started by Hoangde, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Oct 18, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    bk6662

bk6662 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD
    @tonered - thanks. Now I see those cables are already included in the HAI cable. Can I assume it doesn't matter which order they go, connecting to those two switch cables (green, and red1)?

Also does anybody know what year Tacoma changed design, where they can no longer use this assembly? Earlier somebody said it doesn't work on a 2020, and @tacofish is asking about a 2019. Mine is a 2018. What's the latest model confirmed to work?

Thanks again!

tonered likes this.
  2. Oct 18, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    You're welcome.

There is no order. You're just completing a circuit.

It will work with no problem on a 2018.

3. Oct 23, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    bk6662

bk6662 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD
    I have another newby question! I'm planning to install tomorrow. Reading the forum, I notice several recommendations to turn the override switch on and let it sit there for a few hours. Explanation is it takes a while to synchronize, and for navigation to start working properly.

My question - how can I tell if the switch is on or off (either pre, or post install)? There's no indication on the switch itself. I have a meter, but not sure how I would test the way it's assembled. I'd like to know for sure when I'm actually turning it on.

Thanks again!
    -bk

elaudtr and tonered like this.
  4. Oct 23, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Good question. First, it will only start updating while you are driving. So, don't worry about letting it sit.

If you have ACC On and see the A/V input selection on the HU, then it is in the On / override position.

For the first little while while driving in override, it will freeze the nav display updates. When it does update, the refresh rate of the updates will be a bit slower. @BigWhiteTRD noticed that. I think it was about three per second versus the normal of about six or so per second?

Still, I have had mine in override for months at a time with zero issues.

BigWhiteTRD and elaudtr like this.
  5. Oct 23, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    bk6662

bk6662 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD
    Wow that was fast - thanks for the info!

One more question please. Original post explains what to buy for the described functions. I purchased what was recommended (Mirabox, front camera, RCA couplers). Now I'm planning the install. The assembly comes with 3 RCA connections; red, white, and yellow (I assume the yellow is for video). If I connect the front camera *and* the mirabox, won't each require a video feed? Not really clear yet how I'll get video from the camera to the assembly unless I use that cable (with a coupler). But wouldn't then leave a need for video feed from the MBox?

Sorry for all the questions I'll get there soon!
    -Bk

tonered likes this.
  6. Oct 23, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    You're welcome!

I only have the basic override harness and front camera video only on the yellow input. I do believe with that, that there is only one video input possibility without some type of switch.

And, yes. The L / R audio input would be for the HU A/V source option.

Unfortunately that is all that I know as I do not have a MirrorBox.

The harness has been flawless for about 3yrs now.

:cheers:

BigWhiteTRD and elaudtr like this.
  7. Oct 23, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    TurdTaco64

TurdTaco64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRDOR 6MT
    To add to what @tonered said, worst case if you can't tell which is which, drive around and watch your location on your map. If you're "not moving" then the override is on, or the truck thinks you're not moving. Flip the switch and it will catch up to you shortly. There isn't really a need to let it sink in so to speak for a few hours since you're essentially just moving or sitting still. I don't have the HAI kit but I did install the Nav override with my ABC kit and I don't see why it would be different.

tonered likes this.
  8. Oct 24, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    bk6662

bk6662 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD
    Thanks for your replies! Another question re the rear-camera switch. I assume I don't need to connect the other wires that came with the switch...unless I want the switch to light up? I guess would be nice but not really important.

tonered likes this.
  9. Oct 24, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I'm assuming that you are talking about an AOB or CH4x4 switch harness? If so, then no. Just the switch circuit is fine.

That said, I put my switch in a hidden location (near the steering tilt lever). It wasn't worth taking up a switch panel slot.

You can see mine somewhere in this thread.

10. Dec 20, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    MGMSangTaco

MGMSangTaco Colorado Toyota Tuning

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Selling mine, pm if interested

11. Dec 21, 2020 at 11:37 AM
    slowboater

slowboater Well-Known Member

Member:
    My truck is a 2016. Does this still work with 2020's? My buddy just got a 2020 - if it works I may point him to you. I love mine.

PS: are you replacing it with something else? When I got mine it was the only game in town. Now there are other options out there. You can PM me if you want.

Products Discussed in

To Top