1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen. Tacoma Serpentine Belt Replacement

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 06ltd, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Dec 29, 2022 at 8:28 PM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    Uh I’m just taking a guess here, but old habits die hard.

Back in the good old days, before the serpentine ran everything, we had multiple belts all over the place, and their life span was around 30k before they gave it up. If you lost one, no biggie, you could still limp back to civilization in most cases.

Then came the single serpentine and it runs everything. If it dies, you’re more like SOL, done.

And I don’t remember anyone saying anything about how long they would last or any mileage statement warranty. I found out the hard way I could go 70-80k, but I still change mine every 60k or 5-6 years for peace of mind. If I hear a noise before that, I start looking for a pulley/bearing going out.

[​IMG]

mquibble likes this.
  2. Dec 31, 2022 at 2:41 PM
    Imtoodumbtobecreative

Imtoodumbtobecreative New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma sr5 4x4 ext cab
    It’s done been fucked
    Replaced the OEM belt at 65k miles just cuz. Put on a Gates Fleetrunner (green stripe) K070835HD. Most parts stores won’t catalog the HD belt so just give the part number. But I guess the question is: is there really a difference or benefit to using a heavy duty belt on a basically stock 2GR?

3. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:39 PM
    Stevevader

Stevevader Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road 2WD
    Replaced my Serpentine with a Gates today (first time)...Procedure was just as our great forum posters have typed up.
    But, man the toughest part I believe was just getting into a stable position from top of engine.
    I did remove skid plate, but I really felt I couldn't get leverage for releasing tension on belt from underneath truck.
    Will it get easier or should I build some Engine Bay Scaffolding for these jobs?
    Oh Yeah, I have a quiet Taco again!
    :muscleflexing:

4. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:53 PM
    Imtoodumbtobecreative

Imtoodumbtobecreative New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma sr5 4x4 ext cab
    It’s done been fucked
    You can do it all from the top. Splash shield removal gives more light. A normal 3/8 from the top gives more than enough tension. It’s more about pushing it behind the fan

5. Jan 29, 2023 at 9:32 PM
    Jesse46

Jesse46 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB 4x4
    I did mine a few days ago at 51k because it was chirping for the last few weeks especially when offroading. It was harder for me due to the lift and bigger tires to reach things. I also did it in the dark and was not able to get the Allen key in the locked position no matter how hard I tried so I just put tension on the pulley.

6. Jan 29, 2023 at 9:55 PM
    TB7

TB7 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tarik
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    -Front: SPC UCAs, Dirt King LCAs -Rear: OME Dakar Heavy Leafs -2.5" King Shocks + Reservoirs Front + Rear -C4Fabrication Front & Rear Bumpers + Sliders -Prinsu Cab Rack, Leitner Classic Bed Rack -Decked Drawer System -Baja Designs 30" Bar, Amber Corners & Fogs -1552 Analog HD Wheels + 33s
    this was great!
    Only thing i think mightve helped would be an order of operations as to re-stringing new belt.
    I know there HAS to be a "best" way to go about it... but, a little fumbling around and i made it work in under an hour.

thanks all!

7. Jan 29, 2023 at 9:57 PM
    TB7

TB7 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tarik
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    -Front: SPC UCAs, Dirt King LCAs -Rear: OME Dakar Heavy Leafs -2.5" King Shocks + Reservoirs Front + Rear -C4Fabrication Front & Rear Bumpers + Sliders -Prinsu Cab Rack, Leitner Classic Bed Rack -Decked Drawer System -Baja Designs 30" Bar, Amber Corners & Fogs -1552 Analog HD Wheels + 33s
    yep, step stool really helped get in there. Although i did end up just standing/crouching on the bumper a couple times

8. Apr 27, 2023 at 6:20 PM
    ken360

ken360 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRDOR DCSB Cement
    Replaced mine and still squeaking I’m sure it’s a pulley :(

9. Apr 28, 2023 at 12:39 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    Which one?

10. Apr 28, 2023 at 1:59 PM
    mquibble

mquibble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    Things don’t get easier as you age

11. May 29, 2023 at 8:05 AM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
  12. May 29, 2023 at 2:26 PM
    gdr

gdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Temescal Valley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    You got that right. Add progressive lens glasses and bad knees and that blet change was a nightmare for me.

I had no issues with the original belt at 100k miles but it was a nice even number to change it. The truck is too high to work everything from the top so I was constantly going from the top to bottom mainly just to see. Getting the belt between the crank and fan pulleys was the hardest part then the belt flipped sideways and got stuck between the fan pulley and timing cover. I then turned into a blind mad monkey trying to get it out lol.

I replaced with a Toyota belt. I will let it hang in the hot sun for days next time to get it to relax

mquibble[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 31, 2023 at 2:38 PM
    994door

994door Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off Road
    Just did this on my 2019 with 26k miles. Thank you for the write up! I think the belt has been slipping since 6k miles because I’ve had some odd noises and surging at lower speed/rpm with a load. Almost like the engine was misfiring or something, but now it’s all gone. Also the noise started yesterday with minor chirping, 5 miles between then and this morning it was full chirp all the time.

TRDRed likes this.
  14. May 31, 2023 at 5:08 PM
    TRDRed

TRDRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest Playground
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DC SB OTT Tune
    Read this post in the "What Have You Done To Your 3rd Gen Today?" thread (bold is mine):
    Plus @994door's post:
    I've read about new serpentine belts addressing engine surge in other posts/threads as well. Since I bought our Taco a few months ago I've encountered an odd surge every once in a while. It only happens while in gear, slowly backing up or moving forward, usually while braking. It isn't consistent so it catches me off guard when it happens. No surge while driving. Is that what folks are referring to? At about 40K the belt looks fine, no cracks, chirping or squealing. If a new belt will take care of that odd surge I'll install one right away. Welcome the experts feedback!

TIA

15. Jun 8, 2023 at 1:57 PM
    JohnB81

JohnB81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    trifold solid bed cover (Amazon) Pop & Lock tailgate auto lock LED Headlight/ fog lights, reverse lights, dome/plate lights AVS ventshades Smartliner front & rear floor mats Rough Country neoprene seat covers BHLM NiLight LED strip bed lights NiLight RGB LED strip lights behind rear seat storage NiLight RGB LED strip lights for under hood and behind the grill lighting NAVIKS Apple CarPlay interface on stock Entune system Auxbeam auxiliary fuse box/ switch controller Auxbeam custom fit switch panel (Etsy) Coin holder bucket (Etsy) Center console organizer HookeRoad center console vault 32” Slim LED light bar mounted on CaliRaised Offroad lower bumper brackets Suparee sequential turn signals in black smoke OEM bed mat Sokie Tech hood struts 14” Hood scoop LED light bar RGB Raptor lights with smoked lens K&N air filter with TRD air intake accelerator K&N cabin air filter ViAir portable air compressor TuffSkinz interior red color accents on doors and center console TRD faux Pro shift knob w/ TVD TRD decal Glove box letters from Tacos4Cheap MESO customs chrome delete MESO customs door handle blackout covers MESO customs minimalist key fob V1 & V2, red MESO buttons MESO customs puddle lights MESO customs dual color map lights Matte black steering wheel overlay TVD matte black glove box overlay Pedal Commander A/C drain mod Red/Black paracord grab handles Red seat pull straps LOSTAR faux Pro skid plate Rockville 8” powered subwoofer CaliRaised LED catalytic converter plates Hooke Road tailgate panel Rok-Block tailgate gap seal Rear cab USB mod (idea from @ClassyTacos) Xprite RGB rock lights Falken Wildpeak MT 285/70/R17 Painted calipers red w/ TRD decal Akebono brake pads eBay seat jackers 4WP rock sliders Bought it with: Black Rhino Hammer wheels Spacer lift 285/75/17 Toyo MT’s TRD Pro Grill Hertz Audio speakers/ KENWOOD tweeters
    2018 with just under 45,000 miles:
    Was noticing some early morning belt squeal that would go away by the time I left my neighborhood. Tried some belt conditioner spray which made this squeal 1000x worse. Was honestly embarrassing and apprehensive to drive.
    Picked up a new belt a couple days ago from Autozone (the Continental that @06ltd recommended) and put it in the same day. No more squeal. Cost about $36, dealer got back to me today and stated $97 for the Toyota belt.

Great thread @06ltd, thank you for the write up and pics/ schematic!
    Anyone’s advise on order of pulley reinstall? I struggled with this for a while as the belt would slip off as I traced it around the pulleys. A few choice words were voiced during this process!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
    TRDRed likes this.
  16. Jul 5, 2023 at 1:28 PM
    Sofla1984

Sofla1984 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Santa Rosa California
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Off-Road DCSB -
    3in lift - King Shocks all the way around with adjustable reservoirs, ARB rear springs, Total Chaos Uppers- Warn Zeon 10k Platinum Winch - SDHQ hidden front mount- T-rex grill with integrated LED bar - 4Runner TRD Pro Wheels wrapped in 285/70/17 BFG KO2's - Pelfreybilt Front, MID, and Gas tank skids - BakFLIP MX4 cover - more to come, the mods never end!
    Thanks for the pro tips! Quick and painless! The diagram and Allen key tip made it SIMPLE! I have 90k on my TRD OR and the orig was in really good shape when i took it off and inspected it.

The OE Toyota Dealer belt price was $79 out the door here in California. I asked about the cost of the tensioner while there and parts guy said it was special order and $305 i think he said.

TRDRed likes this.
  17. Jul 22, 2023 at 2:31 PM
    TRDRed

TRDRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest Playground
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DC SB OTT Tune
    Replaced ours today. The surging mentioned earlier seems to have subsided a few weeks ago or so and I've no idea why a new belt would help, but, what the heck right? Followed @06ltd's instructions and ta-dah, almost easy peasy, almost. ;) Many thanks! :thumbsup:

18. Jul 22, 2023 at 8:00 PM
    Mikeybuck

Mikeybuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SW WA
    Vehicle:
    2018, 2010, Tacoma
    Just did mine. 113,000 miles. Could I have gone longer? Likely yes. Was it needing to be replaced? Yes.
    For the last 20k miles it's been squeaking at Cold startup.
    Simple, easy job.

TRDRed likes this.
  19. Sep 26, 2023 at 11:25 AM
    TS4x4

TS4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad
    Hey guys, just hit 80k and looking to do this. Thanks for the easy to understand write up OP.

What belt is recommended? Links appreciated, thanks!

20. Oct 9, 2023 at 2:38 PM
    PilotMM

PilotMM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCSB
    RLD Canopy, Icon Stage 4 plus RXT leaf
    Well I got my belt changed. Thanks OP. But not without issue.

the dealership gave me part number “Bando 7PK2280 TOYOTA 90916-02707” and it’s about 2+ inches longer than the one that came off. I called them and they said it supersedes some older part number and that I had the right part.

Being the sceptic that I am I went down to Autozone and they gave me a Continental belt Part Number 4070834 and it’s exactly the same size as the original.

It fired right up and isn’t squeaking anymore. Replaced at 65K on a ‘17 TRD OR because of a squeak that developed after a mud infested trip that had multiple water crossings. I really need a snorkel so I can seal up the underside of the truck but that’s a story for another day… see photos.

PS. The dealer belt was $80 ish bucks. The Conti was $34
    Cheers!
    -M

IMG_2170.jpg
    IMG_2171.jpg

To Top