1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Gen Traction Control Modes Explained

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Doggman, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jan 14, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    St.Germain

St.Germain Sport truck!

Member:
    NTX
    thanks very much it looks like i had it mostly correct in my head, but the hac & dac stuff is interesting, wonder what's going on there in different system configs.

beside the point, but i totally agree regarding the driving side of it as you mentioned. my experience is systems are not as real world as they are designed to be, and resourcefulness & adaptability are the winning factors. i have stories myself that seem to turn all this reasoning on its head. anyway thank you again.

Doggman [OP] and tonered like this.
  2. Jan 14, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Like A-TRAC, DAC also makes some weird noises, too. The important thing is they both work great and Toyota gets an A for having them but an F for explaining them or promoting these great systems.

WalkinTaco, emonomics and tonered like this.
  3. Jan 14, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    St.Germain

St.Germain Sport truck!

Member:
    NTX
    so l can you answer definitively if the AT Off Roads have DAC built in? how about the MT's? this seems to be where things are unclear.

4. Jan 14, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    tonered

tonered tacorider

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 ACLB Sport 6MT BR
    1.05 FOB 87, Functional Skewp, 7r41lbr34k3r knob, Debadge, Dechrome, MeSo switch panel and V4s
    What you have to realize is that most any vehicle with ABS effectively have most of this logic built in. The difference being is that the alphabet soup is applied without driver input. Whereas, if you are on a tricky decent or similar, just smoothly applying the brakes and letting the system brake the wheels will do 95% of the work. You just need to keep a level head.

That said, separately, I did see MTS / CC extract an OR in wet snow.

Regardless, the control of the MT even in my Sport more than makes up for the gizmo shortcomings for me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    St.Germain likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I am only able to describe my truck operation as I am not a factory tech. As said above, DAC and ABS, A-TRAC, and other features share the hardware, such as the hydraulic brake booster (Off Road TRD 4WD models).

My best guess is that CRAWL and DAC share the same things.

St.Germain and tonered like this.
  6. Jan 17, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    MI Yota

MI Yota Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ann Arbor
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road ( Quicksand)
    Blacked out all chrome on the truck

David K likes this.
  7. Feb 8, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    jls456

jls456 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB Off Road
    Good info..
    Explains alot. Thanks.

tonered likes this.
  8. Feb 9, 2019 at 4:36 AM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD OR ACLB
    For someone who's had 4 wheel drive trucks for thirty years, this thread illuminates just how far these systems have come. Hard to get my head around all the options for specific terrains.

As someone new to Toyota, the first page is an excellent "how to" reference. Does a much better job explaining the intended purpose of the individual systems and how they play together.

Thanks Doggman, appreciate your work.

tonered and Boyitz like this.
  9. Feb 10, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    Imugi79407

Imugi79407 New Member

Member:
    On a 460 anyway DAC is more or less a crippled version of CRAWL. The big difference being that CRAWL works both the brakes and accelerator while DAC only does brakes. On either system it is working all the brakes independently in ways a human really couldn't.

In converting to Crawl on a 460 it would appear you are just selecting a different profile in the ABS Skid ECU and using some different pins on the center console switch and connector in interacting with that ECU.

'08-'11 Land Cruiser and LX 570 had 3 speed crawl while 5 speed crawl was added to '13+ models. 4R crawl was 5 speed as well in 2010+ and FJ crawl showed up in certain package in 2013.

Crawl speeds are roughly 1-5 MPH over the 5 speed selection. I thought I read in some technical documentation the speeds are slightly more or less at each selection but can't find that data at the moment. DAC is fixed at around 3 MPH and of course only downhill.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top