1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd gen Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Lord Humongous, Mar 22, 2017.

1. May 29, 2017 at 6:37 PM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    It would end up hanging on the ones I used to install. It holds steady enough on the shorter lines since it's lightweight. For the taco, I'll probably route it somewhere secure. Looking at your lines, they seem long enough for me to not want it banging around. I'll see if I can figure something out. Old school traditional ignition coil brackets seems close in size. Need to see if I have any of those around to check.

2. May 29, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    Froggyhill

Froggyhill Chief installation coordinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Nelson
    CNY
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRDOR DCSB-Inferno red
    Light covering of salt from upstate New York roads OEM Predator running boards,Gator trifold tonneau
    Watching outcome of this and readying the hose cutters!

3. Jun 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    Lord Humongous

Lord Humongous [OP] The Ayatolah Of RockNRolla

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Inferno 3rd gen trd offroad 4x4
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lord-humongous-gigahorse-build.436524/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...3_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EXNH5F5WP734WH4AQE1N
    Ive been looking at trans filters and I wonder if this would hold that filter to the core support? Allot folks use it for holding an oil catch can. Maybe just a couple of hose clamps to achieve the same goal?

GPsevinSixx[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    I'll have to look into the dimensions and see if it can work. I haven't gotten around to the install yet. Will post when I do or if I have updates on the filter/ bracket figment. Thanks for posting that part link!

Looks like that bracket is up to 3". The filter is much smalller than that in diameter. Will post diameter later. Don't have it handy at the moment.

5. Jun 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    Nitori

Nitori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    Figure this would be the best place to ask,

Would a transmission cooler help outside of towing duty? I have a 4banger 4x2 that did not come with any cooler at all, but I also live in Phoenix and it gets quite hot during the summer.
    Do high ambient temps mess with trans temps if you're sitting in traffic or offroading?

I've also been thinking about an electric rad fan conversion but that's neither here nor there...

Lord Humongous[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 6, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Towing and using 4x4lo for extended periods are the biggest reason to have an AUX cooler as these activities tend to keep the TC unlocked which creates friction/heat. Ambient temps definately can affect the ATF oil but under normal loads over heating shouldn't really be an issue even in hotter climates. I'd say as long as your just DD it your OK. I'm by no means an expert on 3rd gens so I'm definately open to others opinions.

7. Jun 7, 2017 at 8:59 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Off Road 4x4 Super White
    Stock and loving it
    We are looking to buy a toy hauler, 14 feet long and 8.5 feet wide. We have to custom order it because no one makes full-width toy haulers this short. The trailer will weight 2900 lb dry and probably 4000 loaded with bikes, quads, etc. We live in Southern California where there are hills everywhere we go. The hills aren't long like driving up to Flagstaff, but the Cajon pass has two uphill sections which are very steep at 5 and 3 miles, each. The Grapevine has hill after hill after to cross for about 50 miles, up down up down.... Going out to in my inlaws on the 62 above Palm Springs has a 5 mile twisty up hill and then one big ass hill that goes straight up the mountain side for 3-4 miles. The top regularly makes my truck shift into 3rd with 1500 pounds of bikes on my utility trailer.

How do you think pinning the thermostat would help with just the stock cooler? I know the stock cooler is very small compared to your extra cooler. Also, I have an aftermarket skid plate all the way back to the transfer case. Will I be able to get to the thermostat with the plates installed? There is a large gap between the plate and the transmission.

That's great to hear for temps mostly without the fan! Wow. That is impressive.

8. Jun 7, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately I never did any testing with only the OEM cooler but from watching the scangauge I'd say it definately wouldn't hurt. Toyota engineers where trying to reduce friction and improve fuel economy and the result is a trans that runs low viscosity ATF oil and is designed to operate between 195-200f. If you keep your T stat pinned while towing it should definatley keep your operating temps well below 200f and give you a little more wiggle room on the big hills. I think you'll also see your pan temps stabilize much faster with the fluid flowing freely from the TC to the cooler.

As far as access I'm not too sure as I don't have expierence with your skid plate set-up. Once you crawl under your truck the oil sending unit and thermostat should be somewhat obvious by the transmission pan.

9. Jun 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Also post up some pics of that trailer when you take delivery. Id like to see it! Sounds prettt cool!

Nedrolls likes this.
  10. Jun 7, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Stock and loving it
    Is it in front or behind the transmission pan? I have access to the rear, not so much the front.

Do you mean keeping the T stat pinned with the big cooler like you have or just the tow package cooler?

11. Jun 7, 2017 at 10:10 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I think original equipment cooler would definatley benefit from having the T-stat pinned. I believe the thermostat is more towards the front. There is a pic of it several post back but I can snap a zoomed out pic tomorrow. Should be easier to locate if you have some reference.

12. Jun 7, 2017 at 10:12 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Stock and loving it
    https://dunesport.com/build-toy-hauler-2.php?trailerid=129&type=Toy Hauler

We are ordering the CB plan. We are going there next Friday on our way home from the Grand Canyon. We might place the order then, maybe later. not sure yet.

They only do custom builds at Dune Sport. 14 feet is short but being 8 feet wide is a huge difference to the 14x7 mini toy haulers from Carson, which cost more than this! and they are rated 300 pounds heavier when dry! wtf

There is a Carson dealer near us and we went to see them. The 14x7 is teeeeeny inside. We walked into a 16x8 they had and it felt like a palace! When you get to 16 feet, the dry weight jumps 1000+ pounds for some reason. 14x8 is 2900, the lightest 16x8 is usually 3600 in super light constructions. You add 1500 pounds of bikes and gear and your over 5000 without water and waste. crazy jump
    http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/trailers/rv-sport/pull-front-kitchen/fr/fr.html

13. Jun 7, 2017 at 10:13 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Stock and loving it
    I've seen the bigger silver round thing in your pictures. I think I can see that from the side of the truck

14. Jun 7, 2017 at 10:25 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Looks nice! You'll definatley love it! Sometimes I wonder if we should've went the "expo" route but it's so nice having all the amenities of home on our adventures. Having a heater, a warm restroom and hot cup of coffe all while camped out in a blizzard is OUTSTANDING!! I still have my back packing gear but Ive already given our other tents away! Never going back lol

15. Jun 7, 2017 at 10:38 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Stock and loving it
    I grew up camping with the boy scouts and I hated tents. We got a pop up trailer and it was nice but a pain in the ass to set up every time you go camping and we had to pack it in a couple times in strong wind. My dad traded some architectural work for a loaded 20 foot toy hauler. some rich dude used it once to tow a seadoo to the river and then didn't want it and then wanted to redo the front of his house. We camped in that for a while until I went to college. My dad is out of health to use it now and it's too heavy for the Tacoma.

I never want to camp on the ground again. I don't really care for the overland deal. I don't plan to lift if we get this trailer. The full skids were because I didn't plan to lift until the warranty ran out, anyway.

Are you running a WDH?

16. Jun 8, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I am using a passive curt WDH and friction sway bar setup. I also run firestone ride rite airbags since I tend to have allot in the bed e.g. generator, fat boy cooler, Coleman roadtrip and a couple of chairs lol. The trailer itself is also equipped with Jayco sway command. Wich is basically an electric traction controll for the trailer. As far as stability goes this setup feels better than my dads Ram pulling his 27ft TT. Id like to have that Rams power though!

17. Jun 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    So I had these guys playing on the TV while doing some cleaning and thought this was an interesting MOD

https://youtu.be/NmzLaaFQjiQ

Basically got me thinking about sacrificing the windshield sprayers for on demand radiator mist in the event of an extreme heat event. I have NO NEED OR INTENTIONS of doing that to my truck but and interesting thought none the less.

Edit*
    Turns out Hayden makes something similar

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FHayden-Automotive-100-Radiator-System%2Fdp%2FB000HE6F7G&ved=0ahUKEwiylpyWi6_UAhVE5mMKHSnGAUgQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNE4tGuj1gw0pvnrHSs9QkjR5yOC6A&sig2=JMq3mTjD2FD69neG22L6Ow

18. Jun 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    Z50king

Z50king DCLBOR4X4FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Stock and loving it
    Don't you want to be seen pumping that bottle all the time?

19. Jun 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    That camera angle definatley made me laugh:jerkoff:

20. Jun 12, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    Lord Humongous

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks to @GPsevinSixx for the magnetic filter idea.
    I ordered and mounted a wix filter this week. It was a really easy, inexpensive and most likely very useful install. I used a couple of hose clamps and affixed it to the drivers side grill support. I chose this spot for 2 reasons.
    1. I didn't have to cut the return hose so if I develope a leak in the filter on a road trip I can easily bypass the filter with the return line.
    2. Dripping ATF on the synthetic winch line will be avoided.

Hose clamps aren't exactly the cleanest install but they work very well, make swapping filters a breeze and are %100 unnoticeable when the grill is on. 20170612_105323.jpg20170612_105805.jpg
    I was feeling a little OCD about the ounce of fluid the filter would take up yet I was too lazy to do the full fluid check procedure. I just added several pumps into the cooler lines to make up it:thumbsup:
    20170612_104412.jpg

To Top