1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.10 gears and 33's

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Volcom21, Feb 17, 2012.

1. May 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taller tires will still hurt your fuel economy. Has little to do with rpms, but not how you think. Taller tires means lower rpms... which means the fuel cut off ends sooner and you don't roll without out fuel going to the engine while coasting as much. You will press harder to go uphill, harder to maintain speed, etc. It is a balancing act and the default gearing from Toyota is damn near optimal for our trucks in stock form. My REAL highway milage with taller, heavier, and wider tires went from 21-24 stock to 16-17 100% highway after my lift. I am almost never able to coast without gas going to the engine because of the lower rpms. I have to be doing 80+ to get any gas free coasting.

4.10 gears will boost my highway milage.

2. Jun 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    neegdogdig

neegdogdig Untrained with bad experiences go go go!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen DC V6
    Alright guys, here is the Formula for regear :

RPM = MPH x Gear Ratio x 336
    Tire Diameter (in)

Got this from Fearless Gear Inc.

n also i had 4.20 on my 02 Taco 4cylinder 4x4 running 33x12.50x15 Toyo Tire Open Country M/T n i still do 70, 75, or 80 with no problems. RPM is around 2700 +/- But i'm still not happy so I regear mine with 5.29, with this gear ratio i can almost zoom like a sport car:D. Rpm is not much of a different just save more $$$ for gas:) in another word the truck is now consume less gas better Mpg.
    hope this clarify some confusions that you may have.

Biscuits likes this.
  3. Jun 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That formula is way off. I don't know where 336 came from but that will vary from transmission to transmission, hell even gear to gear if you are talking crawl speeds vs hwy speeds.

EDIT: I just did some math and that formula is actually right, sort of. For the gear ratio you need to factor in both the diff gear and the tranny gear. So in my case I just take 4.88x0.716 and plug that in for the gear ratio to get my 5th gear rpm at various speeds.

This calculator is much better: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
    The 5 speed auto is the A750F, the 6 speed man is the RA60F, the 5 speed man is the W56. Can't remember the 4 speed auto and I am not sure of the 1st gen trannies.

Also I have 33's and just went from 3.73's to 4.88's. My rpm went from about 2000 at 75 to 2650 and I lost about 2 mpg on the freeway. From what I can tell, I should be using less fuel on inclines and getting up to speed, but I believe it takes more throttle to maintain those extra 650 rpm plus I lost my ability to pretty much coast at all. Ultimately that lack of coasting is what I blame for my loss of mpg's. When I let off the throttle it slows down much faster than it used to which means I am back on the throttle sooner than I used to be on declines and such. I'm sure it also doesn't help that at 75 mph when it down shifts to 4th I am running over 4000 rpm. Takes some extra fuel to maintain that kind of momentum.

4. Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear
  5. Nov 29, 2016 at 8:09 AM
    ssmith0480

ssmith0480 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Ringgold, GA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Extended travel Kings, 650 coils Tundra Kings rear Icon AAL with 1/2” shim & Firestone airbags Total Chaos UCA’s ARB onboard air VTX Stinger 17x9 -25 offset Yokohama g003 MT 295/70/17’s RCI roof rack and bed rack TRD Pro skid TRD Pro tail lights R4T high clearance exhaust CBI Baja bumper Smittybilt xrc 9500 winch Dobinsons snorkel, Syklone precleaner Caliraised ditch lights, rigid covers 5.29 gears CVT Mt. Washington RTT Body Armor sliders ECGS bushing
    I know this is an old thread but I hate making new ones. What was the general consensus on this? 4.10's for 33's if you commute, 4.56 if it doesn't see a lot of highway? I have an automatic and am trying to figure out what to go with.

Two gear places (ECGS and a local place) both suggested 4.56. They even went so far to say I wouldn't be able to tell it was even regeared if I went with 4.10. Maybe because it's an auto? I doubt it though. Neither place I talked to even knew there was a difference in final gearing between AT and MT.

What do you guys think? This truck is my DD and sees trail time maybe once or twice a month. Mostly 75 mph interstate driving and we also occasionally tow a 3500# camper. I'm tired of DD this thing with the power loss.

6. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:57 PM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    This probably my next big mod after shocks....
    Toyotas not going to build a more powerful engine so I'm keeping my 2010 and its paid off now...

I wish I could get 4.3 but sounds like 4.1 are good enough.
    When I do gears I also plan on doing a limited slip in the rear..

7. Dec 3, 2016 at 7:40 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top