1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.88 or 4.56's ????????????

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by hard2kill, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Feb 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    i have an 2006 4door short bed v6 6 spd tacoma.......im fully armored with a 12k winch,tool box,building a full bed rack,front an rear bumpers , sitting on 35'' m/t's, and plan on carrying gear,tools,spare parts water and fuel along with my girl and dog for long trips..... possibly towing a small offroad trailer at times and a trailer with 2 quads... i will daily drive it often to work and the gym....
    i dont want to supercharge it or add any power adders other then my exhaust/snorkel...
    i will be putting a detroit locker in back and an ARB up front....so please any 6spd guys expecially or anyone on 35's please chime in on power/fuel mpg's,towing and crawl ability of your setups....
    need towing power
    need enough gear to control 6spd on nasty technical terrain
    resonable highway manners at 70mph
    i may possible go to 37's at some point but more then likely stay on 35's
    any experience is greatly appreciated.....
    im aware 4.56's are a better highway gear but i worry that it wont be enough for heavy towing or good control crawling..
    its a 4 thousand dollar investment i dont want to do 2x

2. Feb 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Keeping the truck then eh? Homer says that the 4.56s with 35s and the 6spd feels perfect to him.

3. Feb 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    thekernel114

thekernel114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4
    allpro long travel, shackle flip with ome dakars, cruisin offroad bumpers and sliders, 4.88 gears with arb's front and rear, budbuilt skids.
    i have 4.88's with a auto and i find it sits to high in the rpm's at 60mph on the highway. with a 6 speed its only going to be worse. only reason i went with 4.88's is because im going to 36's after my 315's wear out. i would say go with 4.56's for your setup unless your dead set on getting bigger tires.

4. Feb 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    anyone ever tow with 4.56's an 35's?

5. Feb 9, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    Hey Hard2Kill,

One of our employees, DefconBrix, is building his '13 Tacoma right now and is putting 4.88's on his with Toyo 35's. He will be towing an offroad trailer (The OX) built by VMI offroad.

Our company '12 Tacoma, Brownie, will have Interco 37's and will also be running 4.88's.

This doesn't exactly clarify on your question but we wanted to let you know what route we are taking. Hope this helps somehow and we will keep you posted on how these set ups work. Both are getting installed this month.

Cheers,

All-Pro

6. Feb 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    yea i talk to DefconBrix often on FB and IG ...thanx for the update i look forward to the results after your install i have a couple months before i pull the trigger yet

7. Feb 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    bump...

8. Feb 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Yes,
    I've towed my 8x10 landscape trailer with zero issues too.
    My opinion 4.88 is too high & better suited for Auto trans.

9. Feb 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    who else got gears??????????? lol

10. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Subbed.

11. Feb 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    315 tires and 4.56 gear with auto trans. I could see going 4.88's for a little more umph in the dirt and towing, but overal I like the set-up I have and the mpg is actaully quite good with 35's. It doesn't throw the rpms up that high at all and really not big difference in the way it feels HP wise. Going up hills it does seem to struggle just a bit more but that is to be expected with the added weight of the tires.

If doing a lot of on road driving stick to a smaller 35" tires and go with the 4.56 gears. Just my opinion.

FYI, if you at all plan to really go to 37s than 4.88 all the way. Just saw that you mentioned that

12. Feb 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I were you I would just get the 4.88's and enjoy the extra torque offroad and around town an just try to ignore it on the freeway (ie turn up the radio). There isn't much of a difference between 4.56 and 4.88 really. They are pretty close together, about 200rpm difference at 75 mph (2800 vs 3000 rpm)

I run 2700rpm at 75 mph with my 4.88's and 33's with the auto.

13. Feb 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    4.56 if your regearing a 6speed. 4.88 is high, your gears will be really short, especially 1st. Auto vs manual gearings are different, they run higher rpms then auto at same speed.

14. Feb 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanx guys :)

15. Dec 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    Just bringing back my old thread as its been awhile.... I went with 4.88's nitro gears and Detroit rear locker... And I ditched my 35's for 37's like I said I would.... 4.88's with 37's and a 6spd put me back to near stock... Perfectly geared

image.jpg

16. Dec 15, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    He's alive! :eek:

17. Dec 15, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    And kicking ass an taking names... .... Geared,locked,armored and expo 'd out now on 37'zzzzzz

18. Dec 16, 2015 at 4:40 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Looks awesome!

19. Dec 16, 2015 at 4:45 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Out trucks are almost identical, except I don't have a skewp and I am an AT

20. Dec 16, 2015 at 7:20 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Damn that looks good. Love those Coopers. Really considering them hard for my next tire after my MTZ's bald out.

Products Discussed in

To Top