1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 Cylinder Load Range Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by brow, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver access 4x4, that'll never be done
    switched rear-view camera, custom access cab bench, tonneau cover, custom bike rack in bed, extra d-rings, de-badged, mag lite mount, weathertechs, bed lights with 3-way switches, rear spring TSB, ultra gauge, after market hitch, cab/hitch mounted canoe rack
    Finally looking to replace my stock 245/75/16 dunlops. I have a 4 cylinder 5-speed access cab, stock height. Planning on jumping up to an AT 265/75/16, however everything i can find is generally E rated, which is more than i need for my trucks purposes.

Anyone have any experience on just how much power/mpg's i am going to lose with a tire thats is that much bigger and heavier? I know i am going to lose something, just wondering how much.

2. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I have pretty much the same truck as you, I run 255/75/17 LT Nitto Trail Grapplers on a 3 inch lift

I'd try and find an LT rated tire. They are a bit heavier, not sure on the exact number, my main power loss is in 5th gear on the highway. As for gas mileage I can't say as I don't really keep up with it too much.

3. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    Really with these trucks you don't need to go with an LT tire at all, P-rated is over what the weight+payload capacity of our trucks is. The only reason to go LT would be if you are big into offroading and really need the stiffer sidewall.

4. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Agreed. I'm running P-rated tires on my double cab V6 4x4. I have a shell and a decent amount of weight in the bed at all times, tow, haul, etc. No issues with P-rated tires.

5. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    Yeah makes sense. I just didn't want a 200 dollar to get ripped open down a trail somewhere.

P-rated tires OP!

6. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Selkirk, NY
    Vehicle:
    4x4 reg cab, 5 speed
    Better tires Hurcules Terra Track, trimmed front mud flaps, (access limited tonneau-took off) softopper, ats running boards, Piaa fogs, window vents, Wireless thermometer, extra bed rings, valley hitch
    If you stay stock size you can get a pretty agressive AT in C load
    I went with hurcules terra trac at, LT245/75R16 in C load, had same tread debth as E loand
    here is their spec page http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/pdfCatalogPages/28_terraTracAT_2011_2012_english.pdf

Other thing I considered was the goodyear duratrac

shown here at tire rack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...WDTOWLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Part of the reason i stayed with 245 was for skinny in snow. I don't go too rough in summer so the stock size in more agressive have been just the right match for me. I like the hrcules just fine, just not as showy as the goodyears.

7. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans displaced viking living in New Hampshire

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    THE LIVE FREE OR DIE STATE
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma reg cab 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    undercover se, pop&lock tailgate, rallye 1000 hela black magic lights, black grill craft grill lower. twm m1 abrams shift knob, ap ubolt flip kit & ifs high clearance skid , timbren bumpstops, pro comp 3 inch lift, goodrich ss braklines front and rear, lr uca's, customlightz.com fx-r 55 watt retrofit, ARB deluxe bull bar, vision-x solstice pods, black wet okole seat cover,weather tech digital floor mats window visors toyota hood guard, safari snorkel, full bed rug, full putco led swap hd led flasher cf18-08, pioneer bluetooth ipod navigation double din headunit, flowmaster 40 muffler custom center outlet exhaust, regear and arb lockers, arb rear bumper if they ever fucking release one lol and arb sliders coming soon as well as a new line-xtra paint job!
    i have e loads on my 4 banger it was the only load range in my tire size and model the company made at the time.

they are heavy but, tough i guess. i'm really wanting to switch out to a set of 295 cooper stt's they look awesome.

8. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    ATweezy

ATweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 Red RC 4x4
    I think you will find out that P-rated tires are going to be adequate for everday use and light offroading/trailing. I just recently bought Hankook RF10s P265/75R16 and they are an awesome tire. I went trailing with a buddy yesterday and the hankooks performed great in the sand and in the rocky trails by the mountains. He had BFG ATs on his Jeep and had some issues with traction in the sand. If you want something with a stiffer sidewall but want to save on weight, go with the Goodyear Duratrac in LT265/75R16 in Load Range C. Onlinetires.com has the best price on the duratracs that I have seen and treadlightly.org has the new 2012 goodyear $100 rebate form.

To Top