1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4-Hi & Pavement - Why No Turning?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Renoster, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM
    Renoster

Renoster [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have googled, searched & read - and still don't understand....why does the truck resist when you turn on pavement in 4 hi? (This came up when reading about driving in 4hi for 10 miles a month to lubricate).

I am somewhat new to 4x4 - but I understand what a locker is, and that the front & rear have lockers, the rear locker being optional and to be used ONLY when one wheel is slipping in 4-Lo.

Why does the front locker not have a button?

Thanks

2. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:14 AM
    crabslayer

crabslayer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Bend, Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    :crapstorm:

TacoJova likes this.
  3. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    scottclarkinco

scottclarkinco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM TRD Off Road
    A lot. Check out my build page.
  4. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    rockguitar316

rockguitar316 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Vehicle:
    Now: 2016 WRX stage 2 377hp/350tq. Then: 2016 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT (don't kick me!)
    Dude... The wheels all want to turn at the same speed in 4x4. When you're turning the outside wheel has to travel further than the others and at the same speed causes the wheels to chirp and resist. That's all I've got for you.

Nickel and eon_blue like this.
  5. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    gmr102

gmr102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah County
    Vehicle:
    Formerly: 2002 Silver Stepside TRD OR Ext Cab V6 Current: 2008 Lexus GX470
    First of all we need to know more about your truck to help you out. If it is stock it doesn't have a locker on the front and if it's an off road or a modded truck it will/may have a locker in the rear. The issue with driving in 4hi on the pavement is your wheels on both axles have lots of traction. So the 4x4 system wants both of them to travel the same distance when your turning. But the thing is your wheels when turning actually go different distances. Kinda like when you run around a track in the inside lane vs the outside lane one distance is longer than the other. So when you try to force the wheels who mechanically want to go the same distance to go different ones it causes a great deal of stress to the drive line components and the wheel that is on the outside of the turn will skid and hop. So unless conditions are slippery and will allow on of the wheels to skip a little it can cause issues if you drive on dry pavement in 4x4.

6. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:23 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    This.

It's not a death sentence if you happen to do it but it puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain and if you keep it up, something's bound to break....or at the very least put more wear on the 4x components than they were meant to handle.

I turned over a concrete slab on a trail out in Cleghorn over summer in 4lo and the sounds my front end made weren't pretty.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    oni06 likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    Renoster

Renoster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks scottclarkinco. Got it - that's what I needed. (Was misinformed/misunderstood r.e. the front locker).

I might still be misunderstanding - but in 4x4, the front & rear RPMs are locked together (the same way the rear locker locks rear left and rear right RPMs when engaged). Meaning - the tension you feel when turning in 4x4 is not from any left-right RPM issues, but simply front rear.

8. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:36 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    It would be left and right tension though wouldn't it? The inside tire when you're turning in 4x4 has a shorter distance to travel, both wheels have traction on pavement so they're both going to be getting power causing the tension. When you're on dirt lets say, it allows the other wheel to spin and release any tension that might be building up.

9. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM
    Renoster

Renoster [OP] New Member

Member:
    The way I understand it - in 4x4 the front left/right can turn at different speeds (it has a differential allowing this, but no locker) the same way the rear can (without locker locked). in 4x4 all wheels get power, but can turn at different speeds EXCEPT that the transfer case doesn't have a differential (center differential) so the front-rear differential is the problem.

eon_blue likes this.
  10. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:54 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Ah I see what you're saying, that makes sense. The center diff being what solves this issue for AWD vehicles.

11. Oct 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    Actually, it's both f/r and l/r. But mostly l/r. The rear wheels track differently from the fronts during a turn. But much like l/r the tighter the turn the worse it is. Its a horrible feeling when it starts to bind...

12. Oct 12, 2016 at 6:29 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    You're on the right track, but not quite on target.

The inside/outside difference is handled by the differential. No problem there.

Where the real problem comes in, is the fact that the REAR AXLE follows a smaller radius than the front, therefore actually travels a shorter distance around the curve.

Next time there is a light dusting of snow on the ground, find an empty patch of parking lot and drive in a tight circle, and observe after, that you have FOUR tire lines instead of TWO, because the back wheels don't follow in the exact path of the front.

13. Oct 12, 2016 at 7:10 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    ^ He's actually more correct. I was messing with mine and had the locker engaged, exacerbating the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top