1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

405 gr. 458 Socom

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 45longcolt, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mar 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    45longcolt

45longcolt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    [​IMG]

I got my 458 Socom about a year ago. I have always shot 300-325 gr. bullets through it. I bought some more 300 gr. JHP's at a gun show last weekend, same price as Cabelas, and a 405 gr. jumped in the bag. I have never shot one but many who have say it has a little kick to it. It should, it is only half the weight of a 22 LR bullet away from one ounce of weight. So far my round count through it is (547). Yes I reload but the beauty of the 458 is the cases may be reloaded many, many times before they have to be discarded. I only have (360) rounds total in stock, pathetic by AR standards I know, but weight wise that is equivalent to about (1800) .223 rounds.

Yes factory rounds are expensive but I can reload one for around 60 cents each, nowadays even some .223 is going for $1 a round and .308 is even more. So I can shoot my 458 Socom the same or cheaper than a non-reloader can shoot .223 rounds. So nowadays if you reload the expense part does not play into the equation as much as it used to.

When I fire this 405 off I will video it and post it here afterwards. Should show the recoil well. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top