1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

425's Tacoma - Little Red

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by 425, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Feb 15, 2016 at 11:47 AM

425 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    Progressive AAL Banks Exhaust Leer 100R AFE CAI & TBS Kenwood Deck
    If you want to read a little background on me and the truck go here.

Each project I've done or will do will get a separate post just to keep things from getting cluttered in this first post.

Here's the Details:

- Bought the truck spring 2015 with 105,000 mi and a few upgrades from a dealer near Milwaukee, WI. Don't know anything about who the dealer acquired it from and haven't seen it anywhere on here.
    - Named 'little red' because my dad has an '05 Silverado 2500HD named 'big red'.
    - I plan to own this truck for quite a while so it will always be a work in progress and most likely never be complete(story of this forum!).

Performance:
    -Banks Monster Cat back 3" w/4"tip
    -AFE cold air intake
    -AFE throttle body spacer

Lift and Tire:
    -Toyota TSB pack w/ wheelers progressive AAL
    -Rough country rear shocks from previous spacer kit.
    -TRD bilstien front shocks/springs w/ upper spacer.
    -Dick Cepek Torque 16" wheels
    - 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM

Audio:
    -Kenwood DDX419 Touch Screen
    -No amp for the deck
    -Polk db691 fronts
    -Polk db651 rear
    -Pioneer TS-SWX2502 sub w/ Alpine MRV-500 amp

Exterior:
    -window tint(unsure on percentages, thinking 30front, 15rear/back)
    -'Merica Window
    -Tail Light tint
    -Badges and Grill blacked out

Bed:

-TonnoPro tri-fold
    -Leer 100R w/ Windoors
    -LED Bedlights by mattgecko (warm white w/remote)

Plans for the FUTURE:

-BLHM COMPLETE
    -Lighting for the bed (probably mattgecko) COMPLETE
    -Sub for the stereo (COMPLETE) and upgraded speakers.
    -Modified power switch for bed outlet
    -New fiberglass topper COMPLETE
    -Bed lock(currently locked by topper lock but no security for tonneau cover.
    -New seats/seatcovers (Wet Okoles!)(or Katzkin's?) COMPLETE
    -Additional exterior lighting (Bumper Light Bar)
    -reinforced tailgate(as I've read a bit on the quality of <2008 tailgates)
    -replacement of extremely(for me) tinted rear window with rear window graphics(thinking eagle/american flag as I have the MN USA flag support our troops license plate) COMPLETE
    -
    Bed Platform/Drawers
    -2nd battery/isolator
    -Insulate and Carpet Topper
    -Topper EZ Lift
    -Replace spacer front with OME 887 or 885
    -OME Dakars - Maybe
    -Topper Rack

Below are some pictures.

Day 1(2015):

At the cabin(2015):

Old Gem Top Topper(2016):

Bed divider(2016):

Rear Wheeler's progressive AAL Installed(w/TSB No Overload)(2017):

American Flag/Eagle Rear window because I am a proud Eagle Scout(2017)
    IMG_1352.jpg

MattGecko's awesome bedlights(2016)
    IMG_0682.jpg

BHLM(2017)

Leer 100R (2018)

Hangin out with dad (2018)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Red Rig and ChadsPride like this.
  2. Feb 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    As an avid skier, one of my criteria for buying this truck was that it needed to be able to carry 5 people and all our ski gear to different resorts for both recreational skiing and racing. With a min of two pairs of skis per person, boot bags and gear bags it was obvious the tonneau wasn't going to cut it and a 6 foot bed was necesary. Now is where the issue begins, how to find a topper that doesnt break the bank. After a few weeks of searching I gave up on the idea of a color matched topper as I just wasn't ready to drop $1000+ on something I am only planning to use 4 months out of the year. I also wasn't sold on the idea of a flimsy aluminum one. To make things worse i also was interested in access from the sides.

Then this (ugly) 'gem' showed up. Its not the prettiest but it had everything i was looking for. The Gemtop jobsite. Full length flipup side doors with locks, Solid steel construction, and most importantly a low price tag. Found it on craigslist used for $300 including two sets of keys.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Feb 23, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    Was a nice 35 degree day yesterday in Duluth, MN so I decided to tear open the doors in my truck in search of more on my speakers. Obviously had an aftermarket head unit but thought I just had stock speakers as they don't sound that amazing.

Overall I came upon a pleasant surprise. My front 6x9's are polk db691's and my rear are 6-1/2" polk db651's. Not the best of the best but higher quality and more potential than I assumed.

I also did some more testing to figure why I only have average sound quality:

-The stock upper door tweeters suck
    -The system wants a sub.
    -The radio on the DDX419 itself sucks, Bluetooth and aux sound much better(may be because I was spoiled with HD Radio in my dad's wrangler which used to be my daily driver)
    -I have a feeling there is no amp up front and the speakers are being under powered by the head unit which only produces 22W rms...

The Plan:

1. Add a sub and sub amp to take pressure off the speakers.
    2. replace stock door tweeters.
    3. Add an amp up front to power the speakers better
    4. Maybe someday throw a new head unit in with HD radio.

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Feb 23, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    Skrain

Skrain Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 F.J. Cruiser
    Westin 9 LED Driving Lights.
    Looks good! A little time, Some masking tape and paper, and a visit to a body shop that can get some Radiant Red paint could improve the looks of the topper!

5. Apr 20, 2016 at 6:24 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    Well, obviously my wants to post and update all the time got lost but better late than never? Heres an update(yes a year later):

1. Sub went in last May. I then blew the sub pre-out channel from my deck by shorting the RCA cable that went back... Now using the rear speaker pre-outs and its working alright but not great. Sub: Pioneer TS-SWX2502 Amp:Alpine MRV-500.

2. Got the bedlights installed. Ordered from mattgecko. They were a great addition during the ski season as I practice at night often. Can't wait to use them at summer music festivals as well. UPDATE: After one Minnesota winter the connections were corroded and actually fell off for the RF switch. I knew I should've used heat shrink over crimping. Add that to the list of things to list
    IMG_0682.jpg

3. Dropped the back window tint and replaced with a slightly obnoxious symbol of America. But hey, it matches my license plate and I love the red white and blue!
    IMG_1352.jpg

4. Fan stopped working on all but high. Connector to the resistor was super burnt as you can see in picture. Installed a new resistor and replaced the connector. $30 from O'Reilly Autoparts.
    IMG_2494.jpg

5. Took the Tacoma on a ski trip to Montana. The topper was a life saver. 23 pairs of skis, 18 pairs of poles, 18 boot bags plus personal gear for 4 and 4 people in the limo taco. Was a bunch of fun. Wish I would've had some more time for back roads and mountain trails though.

6. Need another under body coat due to rust. If the dealers would just prep it and do it right I wouldn't be coming back for the third year in a row... Better yet can they just replace my frame its obviously rusting???

Next up is new headlights as mine are leaking due to a crack in one and a bad seal in the other. Might finally get around to the BHLM? Also still have my eye on weather techs. Last, having trouble deciding between Wet Okole's and Katzkin's....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Apr 20, 2016 at 6:25 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    saved

7. Apr 20, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    SavedSaved Q

8. Apr 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    New Post above! Yes its been a while. But spring is here so my brain naturally shifted back towards TW...

9. Feb 8, 2018 at 9:10 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    Update: PLANNING AN EXPEDITION

New things:

BHLM - completed in August 2018. Mid Jan 2018 and the passenger headlight has condensation. Going to have to reseal... Not a huge fan of the whole headlights in the oven procedure but it is what it is.

Seat Covers August - Picked up a full set(front and rear) of Wet Okoles for $180 on craigslist

I'm graduating from the University of Minnesota Duluth in May of 2018. Plan to work as a contract engineer at 3M from June to December. THEN I'm planning a 2-3 month ski expedition across the western half of the U.S.

I'm basing this expedition out of my tacoma and thus have a lot of planning and upgrading to do. Planning on living out of the Tacoma.

1. Looking for a new truck cap that is fits perfectly(thus weatherproof and insulated/carpeted)
    2. I have connections to Topper EZ lift and am contemplating using that to boost the space available in my truck bed
    3. Planning a raised bed platform with drawer on one half and weatherproofed area on second half for skis
    4. Contemplating taking out my rear seat as i have a Double Cab and turning it into a storage area for food/clothes/gear.
    5. Need to add a second battery/Isolator
    6. Haven't figured out a heating setup yet.
    7. Will probably want to wire in a little more lighting for the dome of the topper to add to my mattgecko bedlights.
    8. want to nail down a couple problems such as vibrations at 45+(coming out of rear (feel in seat etc. worst at 65 not a harmonic vibration like driveline). as well as driveline 30-40 vibrations(I know my(NEW thanks to warranty enhancement) u joints are not in proper alignment and I need to drop the carrier bearing and possible shim axel, more a matter of actually getting around to it as its cold in MN and I dont have a heated garage.
    9. Contemplating new tires as this is a snow based journey and my Dynapro ATMs are at half tread right now.

10. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:41 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    While the old gemtop was great, it was not a perfect fit, nor was it a perfect color. Picked up a used Leer 100R and had it painted 3L5 radiant red for a grand total of $750. Having windoors on my gemtop made me realize I could never go back. Searched around on craigslist for about 4 months before a long bed fiberglass with windoors came around. Needless to say, paint matched very well. I've got plans to add a screen to the front cab window and insulate/carpet the topper this summer.

Attached Files:

ChadsPride likes this.
  11. Nov 5, 2018 at 9:11 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB Sport
    Been busy over the fall. Nothing like learning to be a mechanic from near ground zero(basic oil changes and filter swaps).

Replacements from April to Nov.:

- Replaced spacer coils with OME 886 coils and 90021 shocks.

-Replaced stock UCAs with camburg UCAs.
    *** note: its a bitch to get the drivers side bolt on due to the extra width of the bushings on the cam burg UCA. If they ever need to come out that bolt will need to be cut.

- Replaced LCAs vs replacing bushings and ball joints due to time constraints.

-replaced 60% of my front alignment hardware and cleaned up the rest of it.
    *** Note alignment hardware destroys sawzall blades of all types.

-new front brakes. Went with Bosch quiet cast rotors and ceramic pads. We’ll see how they perform...

-replaced my sketchy rough country shocks with OME 60091 rear shocks. Well almost, thank you Amazon for missing the upper mount hardware in one of the shocks. One shock left to replace.

-3 degree shim, too much shim and put my rear diff 0.75 degrees too far. need 2 degree. Still have some weird vibes I’m diagnosing. May need the driveshaft balanced.

-duratracs going on as soon as the other shock arrives on Tuesday.

-topper is off the truck ready to be insulated and carpeted.

- next projects with that are topper lighting insulation and carpet, bed drawer and dual battery system with isolator.

Also Intune with becoming a self sufficient mechanic, did my fiancés rav4 valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and her front struts are next on the list.

Products Discussed in

To Top