1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Filter removal mess 4 cyl

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tony H, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Jan 25, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    Tony H

Tony H [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bandon, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD 4cyl single cab SR5
    Tundra 17" wheels
    Sorry if this has been posted. Is there a trick to removing the oil filter without oil running all over the place? I have been punching a hole in the filter to drain it but that is also a mess.
    Thanks

2. Jan 25, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    Tony H

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bandon, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tundra 17" wheels
    I did a little searching and I guess there is no trick other than the plastic bag(tried that-just as bad) and the soda bottle which I have not tried but sounds bad too. I guess I will keep doing the hole in the filter. I have a small funnel I position under the filter to direct the oil into the drain pan. Also did anyone notice the bolts seem to strip out that attach the skid pans? I had to retap them and use new bolts.

3. Jan 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    cruisedon66

cruisedon66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Near St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Extra Cab 2WD A/T
    Defrost mirrors, compass/temp display rear view mirror, rear wiper on camper shell, trans.cooler.
    I bought a car once that came with this valve. So started using them.
    Makes oil changes easy. Especially if you occasionally use the quick lube places. No more worries about them stripping or not tightening the plug.

You can find them on Amazon too. Cost is about $25.00

I've had people tell me they might open if I run over a cardboard box or something.
    Each to their own.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com

imgres.jpg
    images.jpg

4. Jan 25, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    nickpasquale92

nickpasquale92 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicholas
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma LX 4x4 Reg Cab
    5100/Toytec front Coilovers JBA High Caster Upper Control Arms Toytec Diff Drop Sway Bar Delete Moog 555 UBJ Moog 555 LBJ Moog 555 TRE's Bilstein HD rear w/stock leafs
    those valves are cool, but i would rather have real plugs and not worry about shit

5. Jan 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, they strip easily... too easily. I am not sure how my skid plate has remained attached with all the bolts I stripped. I am going to have to re-tap mine soon and I am not looking forward to it.

6. Jan 25, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    The 3.4 has exactly the same problem, just a design failure on Toyota's part. I just put down some floor dry after changing the oil on mine and before putting the new filter on reach in with a rag and do the best I can to clean up the oil that has leaked all over.

7. Jan 25, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    TooMuchToDo

TooMuchToDo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Gold Tacoma XtraCab with 192k
    ...we'll get there.
    oh yeah, just oil everywhere. eventually toyota put little lips around the filter seat, and didn't have them sitting horizontally. for such amazing engines, they sure shit the bed with that design nugget.

8. Jan 26, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    I just hold a small plastic container underneath it while i unscrew it.

9. Jan 26, 2017 at 7:54 AM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    the Ziploc bag trick can be done flawlessly if you just work on it a little. ive had pretty good success (except for a couple of times the bag had a hole in the corner) doing it this way. Ive been doing my own oil changes since 20,000mi and im at 98k now. practice makes perfect! but I agree its not ideal, just gotta work with what youre given

jammer likes this.
  10. Jan 26, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    Tony H

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bandon, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tundra 17" wheels
    I'll give the bag another try...

11. Jan 26, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    willie64

willie64 Willie64

Member:
    First Name:
    willie64
    BEND OR
    Vehicle:
    (slowly becoming less than) Stock '03 3.4L 4x4 TRD SR5
    144 watt led lights on front 36 watts x2 led on the back, cb, Kenwood ham, icon 3" lift, 285/75/16 Fierce Attitude tires, JoeZilla sliders, 4x innovation rear bumper, ARB front bumper. Snorkel. On the workbench: more stuff I can't afford.
    For me the plug isn't really an issue. I use a catch pan that has a screen and so I just let the bolt fall, oil goes straight in. Bolt stays on top. No issues.
    The filter tho......This is an issue! Filter location sucks. All I've been able to do is make sure I have an old rag towel to throw over all the wheel components to catch as much as possible. Then I throw on some tide with bleach on the areas that missed the towel and drive to the car wash.

12. Jan 26, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    SargeBSA

SargeBSA With self-discipline most anything is possible.

Member:
    Cascade Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Tundra 4x4
    TRD Offroad Wheels 265/75 18 General Grabber ATX's,
    I just make sure to change my oil in an environmentally sensitive place. I also invite Greenpeace as witnesses.

13. Jan 26, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    I've never taken my skids off for an oil change so i have no input on the stripped bolt problems...

For the filter mess i used to wrap it with a couple shop towels and do it as fast as i could before the rags become too saturated and start to drip, or just used enough of then to hold all the oil that would come out. Got fairly good at that over time. Then one day i saw a small metal coffee can i had that was just slightly bigger than the filter, it works great for me. I fenagle the can into place and with my fingertips spin off the filter while holding the can and letting the oil and eventually the filter fall into it. Im tall so I've found it easier to unscrew the filter from above after ive broke it free. Ive also done it.from underneath, just easier up top for me. I also dont.have a bunch of shit in the way anymore in the engine bay on my 2.7's. With everything still stock going in from top side might not be real easy, idk... either way with a lil common sense thinking and a bit of patience this can be done with just a few drips to nothing at all lost. Years ago i too used to be pissed at the design every time i did a oil change but i dont even think about it anymore. I just get it done real quick and on with the day.

Products Discussed in

To Top