1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4banger Junkyard build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by 4banger4x4, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Jan 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    4banger4x4

4banger4x4 [OP] Probably should'nt have done that.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    i feel ya, my truck has no balls, cant even burn out if i dump the clutch at 5K on dry ground. now if i had a turbo and a locker i would be burning through rear tires, and i would prob drop my truck and start drifting with it at the track around here... :cool:

2. Jan 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    :smack::crazy::der::tinfoilhat::puke:

3. Jan 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    IMHO, a turbo would kinda suck for wheelin'. It'd be great on the street and track, but a supercharger is a better fit for technical wheelin' where you need a lot of throttle response and use a variety of different throttle positions. Just my opinion though. :cool:

And don't forget about NO2 either. A properly balanced NO2 system would actually be healthier for an engine than a turbo or blower. It'd actually make the top end run slightly cooler because it drops the fuel/air charge temps.

4. Jan 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    haha ive always wanted to throw some tiny tires on drop the ass end and adjust my camber and go drifting on a track.

idk cause i would have a turbo spool around 3-4k and thats a range that my truck in normally in while im in 4lo trying to do stuff. but this wont be for a long way down the road. unless i blow my motor soon cause i wont add any power to my stock motor with 226k on it

5. Jan 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    A turbo is always going to lag behind your throttle position changes. I won't profess to be an expert in technical wheeling, but it seems like doing stuff like rock crawling, most of the time you're using the minimum necessary throttle and letting your gear ratio do most of the work. When you do use the throttle, it seems like from what I've seen, it's a very short burst, to, say, bounce up over a ledge or something, or to attempt to recover from an impending roll. The lag in power in these cases could possibly be detrimental.

Not saying that it wouldn't work. I'm just saying that a turbo is best used in applications where you tend to keep your throttle inputs smooth and consistent like on the street or track.

6. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    Yeah I forgot about turbo lag :(

7. Feb 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    xweslingx

xweslingx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    09DCSB locked and armored
    Just gussets... everywhere
    finally got around to checking out your build man, pretty sick.

how bad was it swapping out that front clamshell? I'm doing 4.56 after taxes come back and i have no problem with the rear but the front I've never done before

8. Feb 2, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    its honestly not that bad, i replaced all the joints while i was in there so i was pretty much just ripping things out. depending on how you feel about rolling on one built and one stock spindle i would wait to put the other one in, you gotta pull it all back out when you do the diff

9. Feb 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM
    xweslingx

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:

Okay. Might just do that. Gonna get the rear done first

10. Feb 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    Drilled out my clevis hitch to allow for side loads. uploadfromtaptalk1391887947698.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391887971626.jpg

11. Feb 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Can't help but think that's a terri-bad idea. You've weakened the shank and increased the chance of failure if someone has to snatch on you (or you have to snatch on someone else) resulting in a pretty hefty chunk of metal flying toward someone's vehicle at high speed when your rope/strap unloads. :eek:

Ideally, if you wanted to do that, you should start with a solid 2" square bar stock and off-set the pin holes by an inch or more. However, better would be to start with the solid bar stock, weld on or mill the tab for the shackle for side loads, and weld a hook to the top for the straighter loads. I have the same kind of shackle mount you do, but in retrospect, I've been thinking a hook-type would be a lot more convenient anyway.

12. Feb 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    xweslingx

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:

I always liked the hook idea better. The dring shackles don't do it for me. I just got some soft shackles in the mail from southeast overland made from synthetic winch line. Pretty sweet idea.

13. Feb 8, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    Theres still a solid chunk of steel being it. Im not worried about it breaking. I feel the holes on the actual receiver would elongate before the solid steel breaks

But funny you say make your own because I have 2x2x9" solid cold rolled steel in the garage right now that I started to make into a hitch mount but havent finished it because I bought this one before citrus. But I was planning on making mine double sided with offset pin holes

14. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Still think it's a bad idea. You removed a lot of material in the same spot. It's like perforations on a piece of paper, weakening it so you can tear it easier. Doesn't matter how much steel is behind it. What matters is now it will crack between those holes easier. Now it only has to crack around a little corner, which is a high stress spot anyway (especially under side-loading), instead of having to go across the whole bar.

It might be alright if you're just doing static pulls on it, but if it does let go, I hope it's not my truck on the other end of it that the shackle and broken bar is headed for...especially if it's hooked to a Bubba Rope. ;)

15. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    well if its on a side load not all the stress is going to be put on those holes its going to be put on the receiver tube, and the bubba rope will cut down the possibility of it breaking because if youre snatching with the BR your not putting much if any shock load, but if i were to get snatched with a static rope there is a possibility of it breaking.

16. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    BTW, are you following Southern01Taco's build? He's got one of the nicest 1st Gen builds on TW...next to Jlee, but he doesn't count because nobody else has the time, skills, equipment, and cash--in sufficient quantities--to build a truck like his, lol. (45acp is trying, but every time I look at his thread, there's less of his truck there because he's cut something else off of it. :rolleyes: He should have just built a rock-bouncer and been done with it, lol.)

Anyway, word has it that there are some 'tons in Southern01Taco's near future. That's gonna be sweet. I'll be even more :jellydance: of his truck than I already am. :D

17. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    no i wasnt but i will be after i post this. im hoping to buy some fabrication equipment so i can start building and selling armor and then have more money for my truck and have a cool build like all the other cool guys

18. Feb 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    But when something does break, the Bubba Rope is like a big rubber band that catapults whatever comes off back toward the other end of it that much harder when it unloads.

I just hope you're right and it does hold up, because it it doesn't, it's going to be all bad for the vehicle and person on the other end. :(

19. Feb 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    4banger4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    yeah i know. and i also dont get stuck enough and pull super hard on other to put enough stress on it, but shit happens and ill prob tugon it one day, but ill also get my homemade clevis hitch done

20. Feb 13, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    How do you like your AP leaf pack?

Products Discussed in

To Top