1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4cyl vs 6? prerunner vs "normal"?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by T-Ray, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    T-Ray

T-Ray [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm 16 so I won't be doing much towing, at most a john boat or atv, but that would probably be in the bed. If I ever tow anything, we own an Expedition EL so that has all the towing we'll ever need. As for the non prerunner, i'd put about a 3" lift on it b/c i hate low sitting trucks. I don't know if I'll be able to test drive these, but I will hopefully be going around on saturday, I have a list of trucks to look at. I will mostly be driving to and from school which is like 2.5 miles at about 50mph, so 4cyl will prolly be better. My sister has a 6cyl nissan xterra and i thought about it and she gets horrible mileage, about the same as our expedition, and I'm payin for gas, so the 6cyl frontier would prolly get the same. I'm the kind of guy that really looks around for whats best and what I want and I'm willing to walk away knowing I can get more of what I want. Hopefully, like I said, I'll be able to test drive some to find out what I really want. Thanks for the help so far and for what will come.

2. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,
    the only way to get a 5 spd manual on a tacoma with the 4wd suspension is only on 4x4 applications, pre-runnners only come in auto. up to me i wouldn't even consider the 2wd non-prerunner or the 4wd tacos.....thats just me

3. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:24 AM
    blackhawk63

blackhawk63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    3" lift, Flowmaster 40, K&N, Limo tint, HID, Grill, Billy 5100s, and more..
    do not buy a ranger lol
    my friend has an 03 3.0l v6 ext cab ranger and its crap

it sounds like a hybrid car and its slow as hell
    he has had so many problems with the car and it only has 60k miles on it

mine has 150k miles and i havent had any major problems yet

4. Jul 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    4 cyl is plenty of power. do the deckplate mod if its not and youll get a little more.

get the manual though, and if you want to do off roading i would strongly reecomend just a 4x4. no prerunners. theyre fine but i just would rather have a 4x4.
    and get a manual.

5. Jul 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Why the heck are they called a PRErunner anyways??? Never got that Toyota thing.... Does it run or drive before it drives? LOL.

6. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    It's not a Toyota thing....it's a type of off-road racing vehicle class. It was a smart move by Toyota to honor that vehicle class and offer up a two-wheeler with 4x4 suspension and off-road capability.
    If you're into off-roading you're either a runner or a crawler.
    Search Baja 1000 and you'll see runners...search Rubicon and you'll see crawlers in action.

0708or_03_ztoyota_prerunner_truckju.jpg

7. Jul 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Learned something new tonight. Thanks for the info.;)

8. Jul 10, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    And i believe its called a prerunner because they are the trucks that are either driven before the race to inspect the course, or they race before the 4x4 trucks do in the actual one.

9. Jul 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Yep, course recon in the pure sense of the word.
    It has sort of morphed into a culural icon.

10. Jul 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    No matter what they are called, they are all Taco's and all awesome....

11. Jul 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    saltbranch

saltbranch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4,2wd,5spd, stock, 250k
    T-Ray, I am 40 yrs old-so looking cool for me is not the priority like it once was. I dont mind driving my Taco 2wd 4 banger with 14" stock tires and black steelie rims. According to my wife the minivan with TV/DVD is cool!
    I guess my point is this, if you would add a 3" lift to stock 2wd once bought, I'd seriously be looking into a 4x4 Taco with the 4cyl, standard tranny. Should get good MPG, lottsa miles with proper PM's. It will be very capable on and offroad in stock form and will serve you well from high school to end of college if taken care of. Plus you live in Texas, so if nothing else it can be sold as a hunting truck for a few grand ragged out,beat up and 20 yrs old.

12. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    T-Ray

T-Ray [OP] Member

Member:
    Well on thursday, my dad and I went to a dealership to look at a Frontier. We found out that they had sold it that morning, and ended up leaving with a 97 F150 lariat with only 65k miles. Its loaded!

13. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    sorry for your loss. when it breaks go buy a tacoma

14. Jul 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    T-Ray

T-Ray [OP] Member

Member:
    Thats a pretty rude statement towards a 16yr old kid that didn't even pay for the truck. I'm not at all worried about it breaking considering all of the f150's of the same generation with 3 and 4 times the mileage of mine still running strong that I see everyday. And its American made...

15. Jul 28, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
  16. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    I agree that sometimes fords do last a long time. Most of them don't. Almost all toyota's will get at least 300,000 miles if taken care of. The so called "american cars" are known to have severe mechanical problems very early. Oh and just cause Ford started in america don't assume your truck is all american parts. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Toyota Tundra has the highest U.S. parts content of any pickup, at 80 percent. They have been advertising the tundra as "American built" for at least a year.
    And in my opinion a kid should buy his first car with his own money. I bought my first car. It was a cavalier station wagon with 133,000 miles on it. It broke down once a week. Thankfully it was only like $20 to fix every time because their parts are so cheap. But I wouldn't have done it any other way. I learned a lot by having to fix my car all the time. Its a valuable skill to have.
    Not trying to be rude at all. Congrats on your first car and everything but in my opinion you made a big mistake. The fact that you went to go look at a frontier and drove off with an f-150 tells me the sales guy worked you like putty and you really had no idea of what you wanted in a truck. You told us that you were looking at a compact pickup. An f-150 was like the opposite of what you said you were looking for. Hope the best for you with it though. have fun with it. I can't say I didn't own american vehicles before. They were great while they were running. I'm just partial to foriegn now because every single american car in my family has always been a piece of junk.

17. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Lol, have fun with repair bills!

18. Jul 29, 2009 at 3:58 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    X2

19. Nov 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    kg4ghn

kg4ghn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    GA
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I've had two F150s, a 97 4x4 Lariat, and a 98 2wd base model, 6cyl 5 spd. Both were good trucks, the 98 had 190000 miles on it when I got rid of it for my taco. I only sold it b/c I found out I am having another baby and needed a double cab. I loved the 4x4, only got rid of it when gas got so high last summer, I was spending over $500 a month for gas, it had 160000 miles on it and was running fine.

So they aren't bad trucks, and they last a long time, just not as long as yotas. Gratz on your first vehicle!

20. Nov 5, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    RebelRider201

RebelRider201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    South, AL
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    5% tint, black emblem/grille/etc, 10k hids, Flowmaster super 44, Tuff Country 3", 1700w amp, Kicker L7 12.......and on
    You can use your 4cyl for you're own purposes, but I'm glad I've got a 6, you can hear the difference, much less feel for offroad and passing power.

Products Discussed in

To Top