1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4th generation - timing? details?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by VeeSix, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Sep 22, 2021 at 11:12 PM
    Carmaker1

Carmaker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr.J
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro 6MT; 1996 Hilux; Prado J150, various
    Haha, this very article was ghost-written by me in early 2020. I was taken out of context on some things, but a chunk of it he did it right. Looks like they've collected more insight, but repeating what I said.

I do wish Automotive Press relied on his own Japanese connections, if he has any, as I am very limited in what I can find out and I am a little frustrated with him, for claiming there's an all-new 4Runner next year for 2023. 2024 1/2 has now been confirmed by various Toyota people, on the low. (Although, two of them strongly disagree with each other on the production location for some weird reason and I'm caught in the middle of it.)

Only if Toyota feels that the investment in the RC62F transmission needs longer usage and adapts it (beefing up) to MY 2024 Tacoma in some form, it might not die. But yeah, that torque rating makes it a challenge to keep. They need to fix that or develop an all-new manual transmission again.

Johnny919 likes this.
  2. Sep 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    Hayrider

Hayrider Over the hill & going down fast...

Member:
    Convection Oven AZ
    Vehicle:
    15 Xcab 5 lug 5 spd Lowered Viking CO’s, Magnuson waiting
    07 Reg Cab, 5 lug, 5 spd, Magnuson installed
    @Carmaker1,
    I have a question about manual transmissions. Now my numbers maybe completely off but I will try. Now my info is from reading on the internet but many say basically the same thing.
    Older Supras (sorry I don’t remember the years) that used a 5 speed manual, used from what I understand was / is the R154. And from what I understand the R155 & R156 along with the “F” model are all the same transmission it’s just that 1st and 2nd gears are different i.e. lower to get a heavier load moving in the Tacoma. I read that Supra owners are running up to a 1000 HP through this transmission. I read the only modification is that they need is to vent the transmission better for anything over 400 to 450 HP or the output shaft starts to leak from the heat the excessive horsepower makes. I don’t know how much horsepower or torque this transmission is rated for but… And then I read the 6 speed transmission in the Tacoma has major issues with owners who try to run this transmission hard. The X-runner Underground site is full of owners complaining about the 6 speed manual.
    Reason why is we own two older 5 lug Tacoma’s and my bucket list is to have someone with more skills then myself. To install an GM LS 5.3 L33 into one of the Tacoma’s with a Tremec 5 speed. The owner of the shop that I want to use to install the LS & 5 speed has the same power plant in an S-10. Pulling a load on the open road he’s getting around 28 mpg @ 70 to 75 mph with a GM automatic. Tremec 6 speeds are double over drives and geared way tall. I read that if an X-runner owner installs a Tremec 6 speed they need to change the stock 3.13 rear gear to a 4.10 gear to keep the gearing in the same ballpark.
    Now why is the Toyota 5 speed so strong and the 6 speed has so many issues? Sorry this is just information I’m reading. And I also apologize as I’m not trying to change the subject just like to know more about manual transmissions. Us that prefer a manual are dying but a sweet shifting transmission knob in your hand is just so much more enjoyable to drive. Sorry I still enjoy driving I’m not into riding in my vehicles…

Hayrider

Carmaker1 likes this.
  3. Sep 24, 2021 at 10:37 PM
    Carmaker1

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr.J
    Vehicle:
    Now as for the 2024 Tacoma, Toyota for the first time has officially discussed this vehicle via's CALTY's design chief, Kevin Hunter (designed 1995 Tacoma in early 90s). Like I reported earlier from my own personal insight, the design is past final according to Centre design chief Kevin Hunter and now it's a matter of waiting to see test mules, prototype builds running about and the final reveal in 2023. It's coming, as I said it was and definitely not 2025.

No problems, this isn't even my thread anyway LOL. Belongs to TW and the OP. I am gonna give you a proper response later today, I am going to bed now (an hour past midnight, sleepless week). I agree a hell of lot with the above though.

Hayrider likes this.
  4. Sep 25, 2021 at 2:13 AM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
  5. Sep 26, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    lrtexasman

lrtexasman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4
    Decent video of the 24 Tacoma predictions.
    Selecting the mid-range NX350 brings a new 275-hp turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder, and going with the top-spec NX450h+ offers a plug-in hybrid powertrain borrowed from the RAV4 Prime with up to 36 miles of electric-only driving range. We will know more about the 2022 NX's pricing, standard features, and options closer to the SUV's on-sale date and will update this story with details when we have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjw-j25nuV4

6. Sep 26, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    Carmaker1

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr.J
    Vehicle:
    (Sorry about the late response)

Once upon a time I loved that X-Runner, so I am not surprised at what owners have attempting with its RA60F. Sometimes it's just fun to keep "modding", until you overdo it (YOLO).

Anyway, one of the most important aspects of any transmission, is the torque rating to my knowledge. Not so much the horsepower. Not being the most familiar with detailed specs on other Toyota manual transmissions, out of RA60F and RC62F, despite owning 3, I don't know enough of the torque rating for R154/155/156F to reliably comment on that. I feel like I heard somewhere that the R154/55 is rated higher 400+ lb-ft, but somehow that sounds ridiculous when V160/161 is 361 lb-ft. Toyota had some cost-cutting post-90s, so maybe it was engineered more cheaply? Again, I can't reliably comment on that unfortunately.

Even though Motor1's author failed to get the context right, that forum's insider is...me being I presented an internal document highlighting our future timelines. It was delayed into 2023 and will arrive 3-5 months before the 2024 Tacoma. However, you'll have a very good idea very soon what it will be via the 2022 Australian version debuting. The differences are not that great, other the U.S. having separate bumpers and some DOT items.

I have seen both multiple times unclothed.

David is talented alright, but his insight proves to be clickbait and likely borrows from here. The only 4th generation discussions have been here in most cases and 2024 info mostly originated here in fact, when a few of us got the ball rolling. Everyone else called BS on the possibility we'd have a new truck before 2026, we were right because we knew better.

A lot of what I see being mentioned by him, doesn't fill in the gaps. It just regurgitates info. Nonetheless, I would rather have someone like him leading the way and providing credible renderings, as he will only get stronger as more information becomes available, rather than TFL who do not take the same intelligent approach as Automotive Press does to these things. I just hope Automotive Press stops regurgitating rumors and works on becoming a better source on deeper insight not yet surfaced.

It is good he is fostering discussion on this, even if some of it feels awfully contradictory and repetitive. Everyone else outside of him (expect for one Lexus guy), needs to either do actual research on the 920B Program or lay off of media commentary on the subject, instead of fishing for clicks and confusing people. Personally, I am signing out for good as Carmaker1, being I am now hearing from the wrong people on things Toyota and don't want any trouble coming my way. Plus, I need a good year or 2 of offline personal time, after many years of endless discussion across the web. Anyone who has replied to me, I will try to give a response, but outside of that I am signing off.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  7. Sep 26, 2021 at 7:39 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW
    no one has a crystal ball

the truck + utility market is engineering getting out models ‘ hybrid ‘ or fully electric !!!!

power.......range......driveability unknown for vehicles like a Tacoma / Tundra

its a good bet ford / chevy will attempt to ‘ Beta ‘ test models with consumers

to better give them Direction / Thrust for marketing + sales

the line in the sand 2030

8. Oct 5, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Here
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    None
  9. Oct 5, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
    Malvolio and Lt. Dangle like this.
  10. Oct 5, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Here
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    None
    And rear discs. At least this truck has them.

shakerhood likes this.
  11. Oct 5, 2021 at 3:09 PM
    BSFord

BSFord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4
    Clazzio PVC Seat Covers Dashcam install TRD Pro Grill MESO Total Tail Stage 1
  12. Oct 5, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    tacoman45

tacoman45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB - MGM
    I'm not thrilled personally - I recoiled in horror when seeing the new Tundra. I will admit I did the same with the 3G Tacoma but I've grown to like the look of it nowdays.

It almost looks like they made the hood larger? WTF

enforcertaco91 and Lt. Dangle like this.
  13. Oct 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    BSFord

BSFord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4
    Clazzio PVC Seat Covers Dashcam install TRD Pro Grill MESO Total Tail Stage 1
    That's a typical response to a new generation truck, look at what happened over at Chevy, their new Silverado was a serious shake up when they unveiled it, I still think it's ugly personally, but their sales haven't been impacted by the design.

I actually like what they did with the new Tundra, and imo it's a huge upgrade over the outgoing truck. But the tacoma has really perfected perfected rugged and capable truck styling with the tacoma... the ol don't fix what ain't broke mantra, I just hope they don't ruin it... then again, wife says I can't get a new truck for 10 years anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter for my garage

14. Oct 5, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    2016Tacoman

2016Tacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Metallic
    time 5:45 ...mated to an 8 speed automatic transmission.

Here we go again :rofl:

15. Oct 5, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    Lunar Cruiser

Lunar Cruiser Active Member

Member:
    10 speed same as the tundra
    With hybrid and phev

16. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    Snaeper

Snaeper Drinks like an 8, Drives like a 3

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SX 2.7 4x4
    SnugTop Rebel, Infinity Kappa's, ToughDog 40mm
    I'm sure this isn't meant to be a wishlist thread, but after watching this video on how well a street-oriented RAV4 Hybrid does off road, and reading all about how awesome the Rivian is off road, I'm gonna be very excited for what Toyota could (and should) do for a Hybrid/PHEV version of the Tacoma.

Having ultra-low electric torque and being able to travel further off road without having to burn as much gas, all while having a bigger, bad-er battery on board to help power added accessories would just take this truck to the next level. Take the RAV4's system and beef it up some more, while being able to essentially use 4WD/AWD on all surfaces (rather than just dirt/snow/slippery surfaces) would be a game changer for me. Never mind the inevitable boost to fuel economy, especially around the city where trucks in general really suffer.

And I'm eager to see how much better a coil-sprung rear will be for off road performance.

17. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:36 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Toyota could always make a mini pickup from the RAV4 Platform to compete with the new Maverick and Santa Cruz.

Malvolio likes this.
  18. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:43 PM
    Snaeper

Snaeper Drinks like an 8, Drives like a 3

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SX 2.7 4x4
    SnugTop Rebel, Infinity Kappa's, ToughDog 40mm
    They could (and should!). The A-BAT concept from the late 2000's shows they have at least though of it before. I'm sure if the Santa Cruz and Maverick do well, they'd jump right in.

But I don't want that to be an excuse to keep from innovating in the Tacoma. By no means should the Taco be purely a Hybrid/PHEV, but it should absolutely be an option and they should really go a little further beyond what hybrid trucks have done so far. Especially if they want to convert people.

Last time my Taco was in the dealer for some work, I asked for a hybrid loaner and got a Corolla. I was seriously impressed with both the economy and performance of that car and it shook me a bit. I love my Taco, but money in my pocket is money in my pocket. Ford and it's Maverick have been very tempting since they announced it.

shakerhood likes this.
  19. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:48 PM
    Malvolio

Malvolio free zip ties for Stun

Member:
    SoCal Dumbgeon
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB SR5 2WD
    I know it’s not as easy as it seems in my mind…but it doesn’t seem that hard to do considering the modularity of newer vehicles. Give it a 5’ bed and an access cab and call it a day. And make it cheap and sell a bazillion of them. It’d be the perfect second or third car, especially if it weren’t that pricey.

shakerhood likes this.
  20. Oct 5, 2021 at 9:55 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Well-Endowed Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Any scuttlebutt if Tundra's boxed frame will carry over?

Products Discussed in

To Top