1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd-2wd problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by surftodd, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Jun 19, 2008 at 9:56 AM
    surftodd

surftodd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    3 inch Trux suspension lift Upgraded Bilstein Shocks Upgrade spring pack Custom Rock-Crawler Wheels 32 inch Kumho MTs Rear Jumper Seat- makes truck a seven person vehicle Tow package Rear Fog lights New Roof Rack Running Lights Cargo Extender Rack Bed Cover
    My 2007 tacoma 4x4 is giving some resistance to dropping out of 4wd. The lights will say it is out of 4wd, but I feel some resistance in the front end. I could actually feel some drag going on. I then will stop, put it back in 4wd, then into 2wd, and it will usualy release on the second and third try. Anyone else have these issues?

2. Jun 19, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    How are you engaging and disengaging the 4x4?

The electric 4x4 in these trucks is very finnicky and enjoys giving people a hard time.

Manual Transfer case > Push button

3. Jun 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I had trouble with my 06 DC 4WD system this spring. Prior to this, I had no problems with engaging & disengaging the system, but while out during mud season (a regional term for between winter & spring), some of the backroads get soft due the frost thawing out. Well, lo & behold, I go to shift outta 4WD & all I get is a blinking blinking blinking light. It felt like it was out of 4WD. Try to put it back in 4WD, no go. Try to put it in 4LO, it goes, but again once out, I get blinky blink. Now it won't go in either 4WD or 4LO. WTF? Off to the dealer we go. Turns out the 4WD Actuator failed. Toyota replaced it under warranty. Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't stranded out in the middle of the woods with this & regularly check the system when I'm out on a fire road to make sure its working. Thats my experience so far with this system.

4. Jun 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Auto or manual ?, I know that if you don't have the clutch all the way to the floor, if may not engage/disengage.

5. Jun 30, 2008 at 5:55 AM
    surftodd

surftodd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    3 inch Trux suspension lift Upgraded Bilstein Shocks Upgrade spring pack Custom Rock-Crawler Wheels 32 inch Kumho MTs Rear Jumper Seat- makes truck a seven person vehicle Tow package Rear Fog lights New Roof Rack Running Lights Cargo Extender Rack Bed Cover
    automatic push button garbage....I miss the lever shifter...

Products Discussed in

To Top