1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd in the rain?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nastyblowpop, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 7, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    grammy

grammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    4x4 v6 X-Cab
    Do not use 4wd on pavement, unless the pavement is covered/partially covered with snow or ice. It is no benefit on wet or dry pavement. Just try it, the truck will bind up and it will be very hard to turn. ALL part time 4wd vehicles are designed this way. 4wd does not help you go faster, it just helps you get up to speed faster in limited traction situations (snow/ice). It will NOT help in rain.

2. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    WTF...

If you need 4WD to better control your truck in a parking lot while it's raining, you're doing something wrong.

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    grammy

grammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    4x4 v6 X-Cab
    X2

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    x 3 billion

5. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    ecrepeau

ecrepeau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just bite the bullet and get rid of the death trap wheels that come stock on the truck. Quite trying to look for a workaround to what you already know the problem and solution are. Change the tires! It will be the best thing you can do for the truck and your own safety.

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

i guess i have to agree....even though i have used 4x4 in heavy rain, up steep hills, covered with water and what not, never had any binindg in 4x4 mode while drivin on thehighway either. someone should contact all dealers in america and make sure they put a discolusure statement out. do not use 4x4 mode unless snow or ice cover exists otherwise you are stupid.

and what i said about the parking lot is to get a feel for you truck and how it will handle in various modes. anyone who says 4x4 will not handle better thena 2x4 is really just a......nothing, you fill in the blank since your all so smart

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    tell me what it cost when you tear your transfer case up,DUMBASS. 4WD WILL NOT STOP HYDROPLANING.

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

going straight, nothign will get torn up, this is as silly as the other thread about using 4x4 for at least 10 miles a month as stated in the manual. i cant count how many people say that is a bad idea. even though its in the manual, its still not good to do. if i had to chose, 2x4 or 4x4 in heavy reain (thats what we are talking about, heavy reain, not a drizzle, i choose 4x4.

9. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    travelingman

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    so where do you drive that it is all "STRAIGHT"? I've never saw them conditions in Ohio,or anywhere else for that matter. If your hydroplaning,there's one solution; SLOW DOWN.

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    almost every highway in america is "straight" if you turn the wheel to follow the contours of teh curves in highways, it will not bind up and ruin anything, side roads, sure i agree, some of them are sharp turns or what not, so dont do it, and in ohio, near columbus, hilliard area, plenty of the highways are straight enough there that it wont hurt any

11. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    so its in another thread, and been talked to death, whats the deal with the manual asking for 10 miles of 4x4 a month, if its not snow and ice 12 months a year, does that mean all taco owners need to get to mud then to do this.....? jus twondering.

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    travelingman

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    Go ahead,buddy.I wouldn't do it in mine.

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    How fast and aggressive are you guys driving whereby 2WD is not adequate in the rain?

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    well, i hit trails on a regular , so i get my 4x4 fix there.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

good luck to everyone who thinks the owners manual is a suggested maintenance manual.

15. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    travelingman

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    Exactly.

16. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

65 70, speed limit....

17. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    travelingman

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    what the hell does hittin' trails have to do with hydroplaning on the freeway?

18. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can expect hydroplaning at a speed equal to between 9*the square root of your tire pressure and 10.35*the square root of your tire pressure.

Roughly 30 PSI in most normal tires (a few PSI one way or the other doesn't really change the math THAT much) means you should be concerned about hydroplaning when going 50 mph or faster.

Every thing I've read/learned about hydroplaning relates the possibility of hydroplaning because of speed. AWD is WORSE for hydroplaning...cause the computer can decide to shift power in a hydroplaning car and make the situation worse. 4WD and 2WD....I'm not sure about which is better....but slowing down is without a doubt the way to avoid the issue.

19. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Exactly.

For those saying it helps your rear end keep from breaking free in the rain, I have a better solution. Use some common sense.

20. Mar 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    I've been driving nothing but 4wd vehicles for close to 40 years now. The last Toyota I had never had an issue with the 4wd system... after putting 350,000 miles on the truck. I'm not trying to be a smartass and I'm far from an expert on this, just giving my opinion from what I've seen over the years. People can engage their 4wd in parking lots if they want, but from my experiance that's the last place I'd engage mine. Have you ever noticed that you can't make sharp turns without binding up? I've found that if you use it while offroad or on snow and ice your 4wd components will last alot longer due to less wear and tear. I guess it all comes down to how much money you have for repairs. I'm sure you can get away with engaging the system on wet pavement as long as you don't have to turn the wheel, but unless your driving through flood waters, why even take the chance of screwing up your truck? Save the 4wd for what it's intended for.

Products Discussed in

To Top