1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd in the rain?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nastyblowpop, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    4wd =/= awd

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    longhornsfan23

longhornsfan23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    02 Black Taco 2.7L
    STRAIGHT PIPE! ,5% all around w/ 10inch eyebrow, BFG all terrains
    Using 4wd in the rain is a no no.if u catch traction on a turn u could be saying bye bye 4wd. i ran in 2wd in the rain w/ no tread at all, litterally 2% or less and was still fine at 65-70mph. just dont be a lead foot nd u should be fine

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows

All I know is dirt has even less grip than wet pavement so people should be blowing out their 4wd all the time. Come on people please only respond if you know for sure, people try to get valid answered a d get misdirected all the time on here, it is frustrating.

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    this is true that dirt has even less traction than wet pavement. but saying that pavement is a high traction surface. so if you slipped on pavement and caught traction (More than on dirt) you sheeeet snaps.

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    to stay on thread with the ORIGINAL POST!!!!!!!!!! the way its worded is 1 question. yes its a BAD idea because it will not prevent you from hydroplaning. 1 Q. 1 A.

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    Bones308

Bones308 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    2006 Tacoma Double cab TRD V6 4x4 K&N air filter, Flowmaster exhaust 285/75/16 Tires yes its a 6 SPEED!!!

This is just not true at all. I am not trying to be a dick but I have been reading through this thread and It seems to me that most people dont understand how 4wd really works. People, when you are in 4wd it is really only 2 weel drive! thats right, only two tires have power to them, the back right and the front left. When you are in 2wd its really only 1 weel drive, meaning only one tire has power to it. So if you were going around a corner in a turn like you said and caught traction thats fine, nothing would happen because your front diff is no different than your rear diff. They work the same, the inside tire rotates faster than the other and there is no binding even if you "catch" some traction. Its not like we have lockers in the front like some of us do in the rear. With a locker, you have true 4WD and all 4 wheels are turning. Now If we had a locker in the front, then thats when you dont want to be using it on the road, because then you could have some dammage.

I drive 4Wd all the time when its raining as an extra safety precaution, not because I want to drive faster but because you have better traction when both front and rear axels have power to them period!

As for the hydroplaining issue, when your truck hydroplains, yes there is no traction front or rear, but when you come out, or stop hydroplaining if your truck is in 4Wd, you will regain controll instantly faster than if you were in 2wd therefore facilitating the purpose for the added benefit of 4wd in the rain. Try this out sometime as I have, and you will see what I am talking about....

I also drive in 4wd on dry pavement once a month (yah you heard right, DRY PAVEMENT) to lube up the diff,as the manual says to, because I understand how 4wd works and I know it will not hurt anything in the least bit. Sure, you dont want to take crazy fast tight turns on dry pavement, but normal turning on dry pavement will not damage your truck.

;)

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    ^^^ what ppl are saying about driving in 4 wheel drive. or actually 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel on wet roads and catching traction is.....first off... have you ever broke an axle shaft? if not than i need not go on. but you have noticed the (bind) on the front end while turning on pavement. the rear does not do this because tracks straight and does not have the leaverage trying to break the dayum knuckle off. also because of the pull of the front end its magnified vs. the pushing of the rear end. if you have a rear steer rockwell it will not bind in 2 wheel because of the pushing motion instead of the pulling.. with that said. take a better look into how 4 wheel drive works.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
  9. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    1) Right... but nobody is saying to use 4WD on dry pavement... no need or traction improvement there in most situations.

2) 4WD in the rain on curves or making turns, uphill acceleration, etc. IS better than 2WD, specially for pickups... If the road is slippery (wet, icy, gravel, dirt) then 4WD will not be damaged. Sure, you could get by without it... but the traction control is superior. Why do you think AWD sports cars do so well?

3) AWD IS FULL TIME 4WD, WITH A CENTER DIFFERENTIAL so driving on dry pavement won't damage driveline parts as the binding between the front and rear axle is eliminated.

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE is DOUBLE TRACTION (twice the traction)... and that is good!

4WD with limited slip differentials (TRAC) is even better as torque is routed to tires with traction if others lose traction.

Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) works like having lockers front and rear as rotation speed between tires on the same axle is matched.

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Short answer. With or without 4wd or awd, don't exceed the speed that the tires can no longer displace the water.

11. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Right... otherwise you are hydroplaning and out of control... and out of traction, too!

12. Mar 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    grammy

grammy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    4x4 v6 X-Cab
    I don't know why you are talking about traction. The OP asked about hydroplaning, which has nothing to do with traction. It has to do with driving too fast on water and your tires not touching the pavement, becuase they are moving too fast to break the surface tension of the water they are over.

ATRAC is only enabled in 4lo, and you wont be hydroplaning in 4lo. And ATRAC is not like having lockers on both ends. It uses the brakes and puts power to the wheel that is not slipping. Lockers do not do that.

Wet roads are not slippery in most cases, if they are coated with oil and wet they may be slippery. Put your truck in 4wd on a wet day drive on pavement and start making turns and then compare this to 2wd. You will see 4WD makes things harder to control and harder to negotiate the turn, as the truck wants to go straight.

If you understood AWD vs 4WD you would understand it is like comparing apples to oranges. I don't understand why you are even mentioning AWD. Our trucks are not AWD. We do not have a center differential. Yes, I agree that AWD is an improvement in practically all conditions, but we don't have AWD.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I think it is important you understand what makes things safer and do get a false sense of security when you are in 4WD.

13. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    3) AWD IS FULL TIME 4WD, WITH A CENTER DIFFERENTIAL so driving on dry pavement won't damage driveline parts as the binding between the front and rear axle is eliminated.

when you posted awd is like 4 wheel drive with a center diff. you are correct but... 4 wd and awd are not the same. look at the links i posted if you dont understand y.. you did seem to notice that they have a center diff and 4 wheel does not. thats y awd can do it. 4 wheel drive will bind up unless the tires slip very very often.

14. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    el_smurfo

el_smurfo Well-Known Member

Member:
    I still say driving straight lines in the rain with 4WD engaged is an effective way for those of us without regular access to offroad sites to keep our systems operational. Toyota wouldn't recommend the 10 miles a month if they didn't have some data to back it up, plus, the more you use the system, the easier it is to engage.

15. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    i dont see a problem driving in a straight line. it when you turn that the binding happens.

16. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/axle-wind-up.html

17. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    ^^^^^ atleast sum1 looked at the link i posted..

18. Mar 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Good read...thanks for posting!:thumbsup:

19. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Sparky4.0

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
  20. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    09 tacoma trd