1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4WD "switch" problems

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by occtaco, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jan 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    occtaco

occtaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2007 4 banger, 4wd , manual transmission, and from the first day I have extreme difficulty getting the transmission into 4WD Low Range. Has anyone experienced similar problem? It will eventually shift into low range; but it may take an hour of turning the knob, clutch and bump, turn the wheels, back up, say a few curse words , etc.... before it finally goes into low range. The sound indicator is driving me nuts!

Thanks for any constructive suggestions!

2. Jan 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I have a 2008 and as long as i'm stopped with clutch pedal in all of the way, it goes right in to 4 low. I've only used it twice in the 8 months I've owned the truck. Sounds like you better have the dealer check it out.

3. Jan 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    I have the same problem, first time I used it up on the trails I ran in 4-Hi cause couldn't get in 4-Lo no matter how many times I switched that piece of shit knob.
    Tried all the usual stuff, backing up, clutch in, clutch out, in gear, out of gear, while stopped, while moving. :mad:
    Later that day I did manage to get it into 4-Lo by selecting 4-Lo and then shutting off the truck and then restarting and it was engaged but that was just a fluke cause it took twenty minutes to disengage it.

Next time I used it I went through the same thing and thought for sure I'd be dropping the front driveline so I didn't destroy the transfer case with a 40 mile trip to the dealer on dry pavement locked in.

I took it too the dealer but didn't have time to drop it off so had to wait while they diagnosed it, the service guy tried backing, driving forward a couple times and couldn't get it in so told me to go have a seat and they'd look at it.
    Half hour later he comes out and says the service manager tried it and we must have not pushed the clutch in hard enough cause after a couple attempts it worked for him.

I jumped in the truck and about dented the floor board pushing on the clutch and tried 20 or 30 times and it finally engaged.

I started laughing and told them I'd bring it back when I have time and they can fix it or keep it cause between the 3 of us and after 20 minutes of attempts we have manged to engage it twice successfully. :mad:

This is my 4th 4x and the first one that doesn't have a transfer case lever, I wish they had a lever as standard equipment and let the mall cruising yuppies select that plastic knob as an option :cool:

4. Jan 29, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i hate knobs thats why i love my 1st gen

5. Feb 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    occtaco

occtaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for your post. After reading what others have done, I went out to my truck, pushed the pedal so hard I thought it would stick to the carpet and or go through the floor, and it worked, the transfer case responded by swithing out of Low4w into High4W.

Like many of you, I have always had a truck that allowed you to manually shift into different ranges; so I'm still a little surprised at the way Toyota has engineered this "autoshifting" feature into new trucks, I still wished I could by a truck with locking hubs and shifter, oh yea, side vented front windows, I guess I must be dreaming!

Problem solved!

Thanks again for your input!

6. Feb 2, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock