1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x Amp suggestions please

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fire133, May 9, 2023.

1. May 9, 2023 at 7:20 AM
    fire133

fire133 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red Tacoma Sport
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
  2. May 9, 2023 at 7:26 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    What’s the end goal? Getting a sub? Just the 4 speakers? Where do YOU want to mount it? Using a factory or aftermarket headunit?

3. May 9, 2023 at 7:56 AM
    fire133

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red Tacoma Sport
    Goal is to balance with fade
    Factory Premium HU - 8"
    4 speakers, no sub
    Mount under front passenger, or any other options??

ZMan2k2[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 9, 2023 at 8:02 AM
    watermelonman

watermelonman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 Lunar TRD Sport
    dual child seats
    What do you mean balance with fade as a goal?

You want neutral, centered sound at the driver seat and see an amplifier with more control as a way to get there? At least that is how I read it.

Stevie17 likes this.
  5. May 9, 2023 at 8:32 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    “Balance with fade”….not with an amp. If you do, you’ll lose the fade functionality and have the same volume all around. Reason being, the factory crippled the stock H/U with 12w out up front and a max 5w on the rear. Only way to boost the rears is to go front speaker level into the amp, and have the amp split that 4 ways, but the fader won’t work anymore.

To achieve what you want, a replacement aftermarket H/U is in order.

Stevie17 likes this.
  6. May 9, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    fire133

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red Tacoma Sport
    So I can't bring front and rears into an amp separately? That's how I was thinking

7. May 9, 2023 at 9:02 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    You can, you just get a louder version of what you have now. Have you tried to fade all the way to the front, then switch it to the rear? That’s what you’d amplify, in proportion to each other, when you connect all 4 speaker leads to an amp. Underwhelming at best.

Stevie17 likes this.
  8. May 9, 2023 at 9:06 AM
    fire133

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red Tacoma Sport
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Stevie17 and ZMan2k2[QUOTED] like this.
  9. May 9, 2023 at 9:52 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    You’re welcome. I just don’t want you to drop $300 or more, and be less than impressed.

Stevie17 likes this.
  10. May 9, 2023 at 9:55 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Rear speakers don't do much for the driver, so I run a Kicker Key in bi-amp mode to power the front components and just run the rears off the head unit for ambience. You keep the fade and send power to where it is useful. I had it in 4-channel mode on the rears, but it was a waste of power.

Stevie17 likes this.
  11. May 9, 2023 at 5:18 PM
    Bigmatt503

Bigmatt503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been using a kicker key 200.4 to my front and rear channels and it's disappointing. The sound isn't clear and crisp even with all new speakers. I just got the Sony xav 9500 Es head unit and will be installing soon. The stock head unit is the weak link

Stevie17 likes this.
  12. May 9, 2023 at 5:50 PM
    fire133

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red Tacoma Sport
  13. May 10, 2023 at 5:56 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    The Kicker Key has a calibration procedure using pink noise to adjust levels for the environment and what the HU is providing. At least on my truck it does a great job of cleaning up the sound, but I did go through a few iterations before settling on the current setup.

1. Just added the Subaru Kicker tweeters. Better, but still a bit week and muddy.
    2. Replaced all door speakers with JBL GT7 speakers, keeping Subaru tweeters. Better again and a bit cleaner sound, but not enough power to drive speakers efficiently.
    3. Added Kicker Key amp in 4-channel mode. Now we have enough power, but way too many tweeters.
    4. Replaced front door and dash speakers with Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6903C components and put Kicker Key in bi-amp mode running just the fronts. Run the rear directly from the head unit. Bi-amp mode uses an internal crossover at 3200Hz to split frequencies between the woofer and mid/tweeter, so you don't need to use the crossovers provided with the speakers. Clean sound, good power and volume, brought the sound stage up, and much more bass than I was expecting with no sub. Took a few tries to get there, but I am happy with it.

You may be able to achieve something similar with the LOC and amp. IMHO, though, any power sent to the rear is a waste.

14. May 10, 2023 at 2:00 PM
    space monkey

space monkey Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock Tacoma Sport
    Some really good replies in here. Once the Kicker Key is back in stock I'll be looking to pair with some Focal components in the front. I'll keep watching this thread.

15. May 10, 2023 at 2:11 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    That's what I'm running at the minute. Key 200.4 amp, Focal RSE-165 Auditors in front, Kicker CS rear, Cerwin Vega 10" underseat sub bringing up the low end.

The Focals are clear as a dang bell on the highs and mids, and it is wonderfully balanced. Be careful of the frequency response curve on that set, however. They advertise their low end is 60 Hz, and they diminish well before that. But they are a)inexpensive, and b) sound great with fantastic sensitivity... so there is the tradeoff. By comparison, other components in the price class can hit as low as 30 Hz.

I love the Focals, but without even a basic sub to provide the lows, I would have been unhappy.

16. May 10, 2023 at 2:58 PM
    space monkey

space monkey Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    Good deal, I am looking at the Focal PS 165 FE or the FXE for the front. The Kicker amp seems attractive more so that I may not have to worry about the crossover. Frequency response as advertised is probably similar to your situation. But, hoping that the low end response is sufficient as I really don't want to go into sub territory since I am installing on my own.

Rock Lobster[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 10, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    :eek:

Crap, those are some high end speakers. At 60 Hz you'll definitely be missing a few notes though. Most audio geeks say that the deciding line between bass and sub-bass is 60 Hz, and that most music will dip an occasional toe into the sub-bass department. Modern rock/jazz can reach down to 40Hz, while rap/EDM rarely strays below 30Hz. The problem with sub bass is that it needs some oomph to bring it to the stage. Me personally, I like a subwoofer even though I don't like a loud subwoofer. If it's there and it's in tune with the rest of the system, it very much adds more color to the painting.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/question-bass-bass-instruments-frequencies-page-3

18. May 10, 2023 at 3:58 PM
    drizzoh

drizzoh itsjdmy0

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    The FXE's are amazing but you're going to want to power them with more than the Kicker Key. They're power-hungry. I'm giving mine ~80w each with my vx700/5i. If you're looking to run speakers at that power level and with the stock headunit, the FXE's will be wasted, grab their DFS instead.

19. May 10, 2023 at 4:51 PM
    space monkey

space monkey Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    Good to know, thanks. I'm just specin' things out at the moment and trying to balance performance and simplicity. Between you and Rock it sounds like the Kicker won't cut it though. I'm not set on keeping stock HU but my approach has been looking at speakers first to determine the path back to the source with the smallest footprint possible. I will certainly factor in dampening and other passive enhancements where it will help. W/o being able to actually listen to speakers it's a guessing game and I am trying err on the side of...quality? I listen a full range of sounds form rock to punk but have a large library of EDM in uncompressed or flac. My car audio has always been crap though and want to change that. I should start my own thread...

EDIT: Nice read Rock and, considering that, your approach seems good. I don't want to feel the kick in my chest all the time like a live venue. But it's nice to have those tones roll off in the sub range when they are put there. I have doubts I would be able to add a sub and really get the best out of it in a truck. Having a clean, warm sound with smooth mids mellow highs are my priority.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  20. May 11, 2023 at 1:58 PM
    watermelonman

watermelonman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 Lunar TRD Sport
    dual child seats
    Wholly agree, thankful for all of information. Also drooling on some Focal headphones but that is another whole topic.

Products Discussed in

To Top