1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x2 vs 4x4

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Lucky Dragon, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:09 PM
    robertbank

robertbank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Terrace, BC
    Vehicle:
    Ordered TRD Sports DCLB Upgrade Pkg
    Tyler you nailed it. Lived a good part of my life in Alberta and Eastern Ontario (10 years). My first 4x4 was a '91 4Runner I bought so I could get into some decent fishing holes up here for Salmon. I had two pick-ups in Alberta, both were 4x2, the balance of my drivers were 4x2 cars. The VW Beetle went where a lot of big 4x4's would have simply sunk to their axles. We have a saying up here that goes, All 4x4 does us gets you stuck further into the muck. If all you are going to do is drive on serviced roads there is no real reason to go for 4x4. If there is a bad snow storm in progress one can always stay home.

4x4's are nice and if you have a need, eg Off Roading is your leisure time activity, or you live in areas were either roads are not maintained or you get lots of snow then having 4x4 or AWD makes a lot of sense. AWD in a SUV or sedan is probably the best option unless your activities dictate otherwise. Beyond that need and desire get fuzzy. As a daily comuter on your inter state hwys...there are better options IMHO

2. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I read the 2 vs 4 threads and wonder how the hell I've managed to live and drive in WI, IA, and CO over the last 27 years with nothing but 2wd pickups and have never found a situation where I couldn't get where I needed to go.

Takes some skill but the 5-lug gets me there.

3. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    UrbanT@co

UrbanT@co Taco FANatic

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSBOR 4x2
    * BAMF Grille *50% tint driver/passenger front window * NFAB steps * Bakflip F1 tonnaeu * Bed extender * Bed mat * Weathertech digital floor mats * Black reflective Tacoma tailgate decal
    I live on pavement in fairly dry weather year round and based on my past 20+ years I've not once had a need for a 4x4 or AWD...so 4x2 was a no brainer.

I do light hauls from the local big box store for home projects and recycle runs so the application is perfect for my needs.

4. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Yeah.
    But the placebo effect alone is worth the cost of admission. :)

5. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:19 PM

.28 TacoRunnerCamry

Member:
    First Name:
    miguel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad DC 4x4
    I can see your point, but for some staying in whether at work or home, is not an option sometimes..

6. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I can walk the 3/4 mile to my work. There are many options in life.

7. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Like I said in another thread, I drive a wrecker part time occasionally and they are all but one 2wd. The "2 times" out of the year 4X4 is needed, we seem to get around just fine with a big flatbed driving around with a truck on the bed and another truck on the wheel lift. This is all North Texas as well

8. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    Depends on the region. In the south fewer people want to pay for the premium costs of a 4X4. Especially if they are looking for a Home depot and sometimes camping truck. Most will never see more than gravel.

The additional costs in maintiance , fuel economy, and insurance may not be worth it. The 2wd will have a slightly higher towing rating, as manufacturers reduce the tow capacity by the increased weight of the front drive train. The power to weight ratio changes . IF one never goes off roading , drives where it snows, makes 4WD driving a sport, 2WD ia more than adequate.

I grew up in snow country and always had rear wheel drive cars and trucks and rarely had an issue in snow. My last three Tacomas were 2WDs and they did fine in light snow I would never have used the 4WD feature or Locking rear, But everyone's needs are different.

On used lots down here people tend toward the less expensive (less likely to have been abused) 2WD trucks,

UrbanT@co likes this.
  9. Nov 30, 2015 at 8:46 PM

.28 TacoRunnerCamry

Member:
    First Name:
    miguel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad DC 4x4
    Good for you..:thumbsup:....:rolleyes:

archerm3 likes this.
  10. Nov 30, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    AWalker

AWalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Tacoma Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB SR5
    O.M.E 885 Dakars nitros Snugtop allpro skids allpro bumper 4X inovations sliders Jayco pop up camper Torklift tiedowns
    You definitely don't need a locker for what you're describing. I'v only had them in dedicated trail rigs. Think you should be asking Tacoma vs 4runner, suv, Subaru... If you're main goal is hauling kayaks without a topper or maybe a hitch rack it's a pain in the ass safely tying one down to the roof of even a double cab. No prob on my Snugtop though. Just something to think about.

11. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:28 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    I take OP at his word. He isn't going anywhere but a boat ramp. It's not you, it's the situation. Texas is not Florida. I would have a 4 x4 in Texas. As I said originally. Just get a Subaru with a rack. A 4 x4 on pavement is usless and he isn't going off road.

12. Dec 1, 2015 at 2:22 AM
    busticator

busticator Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 DCSB
    CPS rev2
    It was your use of the word "requires". You took it from the squishy world of subjective opinion, to saying no one in north Texas can drive in the weather with 2wd. Clearly lots of people stranded at least twice a year. Sounds like a good business opportunity for a 4x4 taxi service when no one can get to work in the weather.

I grew up in the north and drove in plenty of snow and ice conditions with 2wd. Never once got stranded. Maybe had to shovel the driveway some to get started. Worked on several farms as a teenager - all their trucks were 2wd. Now I'm in FL, and opted for 2wd because my perception is I would save a small amount on gas and maintenance. Those assumptions on savings may be incorrect these days, but intuitively it makes sense to me. 4wd would be neat to have because I would have the option to go do some serious off-roading, but then again I really would probably never do that. :notsure: There is only so much time in a day, and I have other things that seem to eat the day up. Plus, if I ever had time to make off-roading a hobby, I'd probably lean towards something like an atv or polaris rzr for more fun (to me anyway).

.28[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 1, 2015 at 3:52 AM
    MudsweatNgearz

MudsweatNgearz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport Inferno & 2005 Sport DCLB 4X4 White
    Nuff said!

14. Dec 1, 2015 at 3:56 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    In my little opinion, and living in FL for the last 2 decades, if you want to take the Kayaks to cool places to launch from, get the 4x4. Sand is the killer down here. 2wd in our sand =stuck.

15. Dec 1, 2015 at 4:12 AM
    MudsweatNgearz

MudsweatNgearz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport Inferno & 2005 Sport DCLB 4X4 White
    I live in southern AZ. I got 2wd because since moving down here 9 years ago I have NEEDED to engage the 4wd in my gen 2 exactly 0 times. The reason I even own a 4X4 gen2 is because I lived in Nebraska when I bought it and you are crazy if you dont have 4wd for the winters there.
    When purchasing the 2016 my wife wanted to get 4wd because the sticker on the side of the truck said 4WD.....wtf? I said hell no! We are not paying 4K for a sticker lol. When its time to play I take the RZR or the Wrangler

16. Dec 1, 2015 at 5:45 AM
    robertbank

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Terrace, BC
    Vehicle:
    Need vs Desire...sounds like you got it right.

17. Dec 1, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    Phoenix autoworks

Phoenix autoworks Stock but fun!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 manual
    Stock but I use it anyway!!!
    All I know is, if there is a zombie apocalypse, or a mass evacuation, having 4x4 gives me more escape route options than 4x2 people. All the cars and 4x2 trucks will be on the pavement sitting in jammed rush hour traffic wishing they could follow me as I pass them in the dirt, I'll be gone already climbing a mountain and setting up my tent while they sit in their cars waiting to die.

CAM37 likes this.
  18. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:05 AM
    enominezerum

enominezerum Dreamer

Member:
    Pretty much everything boils down to need vs want. I didn't need a TRD OR but I got one. If you have the money why not. We are looking at current plans for the truck that could be met with a 4x2. If you get a beefier truck you may decide to expand your outdoors activities and start going further off the beaten path for camping/hunting/etc.

Then again, there is always the zombie apocalypse.

19. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    robertbank

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Terrace, BC
    Vehicle:
    Yes but you will run out of gas before you get to where you are going and die a horrible death at the hands of a beautiful but very dead Zombie thus perpetuating the species. There really is no win. Arnold S. will find you, blow you away with his 60 shot shotgun and the rest of us sheep will roll over in our beds and make love to our mistresses.

Fantasy 101

TOY33 likes this.
  20. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:57 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Yes.....the survivalist; nothing wrong with it. Just remember if you have too much more then the next guy, when the world goes to shit, everyone wants your stuff. I suggest you do what I do to prepared for the apocalypse. Go ahead and buy a 4 wd and remove all the badges. Can zombies even read anymore......?

Products Discussed in

To Top