1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 advise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by donut757, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Jan 3, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    donut757

donut757 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC Tacoma RWD 2012 Reg Cab 4x4 2023 DCSB 4x4
    i tried to read through the 70 something page thread about the TRAC and 4H/4L and the various choices.

My head is spinning. My 2012 Reg Cab Tacoma is manual. What do all the buttons do for driving in 2wd and 4wd?

This hunting season, i have used it in 4H and 4L but it was nothing crazy but i guess did what it was suppose to do.

Im just confused as to what hitting this button or that button, or holding this or that down for 3 seconds really does. Trails on the hunting land and snow are what i encounter. Not hill climbs or deep mud or anything extreme... any help appreciated dudes.

2. Jan 3, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Here is a question I asked and the answer, this may help -
    I read the first couple pages of this thread and find the information clear and understandable. Excellent well thought out. Thank you for all your time and effort. I have a question which is I’m sure already answered but I’m asking anyway. I have a 2009 TRD Sport 4x4. Are you saying that when I’m in 4H the limited slip is automatically working? Also does the limited slip in 4H work with just the rear wheels or with the the front also? I do not have A Trac.
    2009-2011 Sport (and all other 4WD models):

Toyota's TRAC (limited slip) in H4 works on all 4 wheels.
    In H4, the engine output regulation (throttle cut) is OFF. This is the stronger level of traction control. No button push needed. This is equivalent to AUTO LSD in H2 (also called TRAC OFF).

In 2012, they added a button push to turn the engine regulation off (TRAC OFF MODE) and made the standard mode TRAC with engine regulation, as it is in H2.

I agree this whole thing is confusing and mind boggling. The bottom line is you will get the best traction when in 4wd High as you will have 4wd and automatic limited slip on all 4 wheels without touching any buttons. The limited slip is automatic when in 4H.
    Read the last 4 or 5 pages of that 72 page thread and I think it will answer your questions. If not ask a specific question on that thread and the OP who is expert on the subject will clear everything up for you.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Sig45 likes this.
  3. Jan 4, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  4. Jan 4, 2018 at 5:14 AM
    Boyk1182

Boyk1182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Here is something I copied and pasted from another thread, because the VSC/TRAC is ass backwards in how you apply it and read the dash lights (in my opinion at least). If you read this a few times, you should get it:

Products Discussed in

To Top