1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 for Baja Beaches?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MitchMan, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Apr 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    MitchMan

MitchMan [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello all, I am a newbie to this forum and to Toyota trucks. I have read a bunch on this forum before joining today, and the expertise is unbelievable here. This is a great forum!

I need some help. I need to get a 4x4 to take my boat and trailer (1300 lbs) to La Paz in Baja from Southern California (1100 miles). Once in La Paz, I need to haul the boat and trailer over dirt roads (very muddy in Sept & Oct) and over soft sand to beach launch the boat. My budget is $6,000 and this means I am limited to 1986 to 1998 4x4 used pickups (pre 1996) or used Tacos (1995.5 - 1998) mostly depending on odometer mileage. Because of fuel economy, I would prefer to go with a 4 cyl 4x4, and would prefer an xtra cab if possible.

The questions are: 1) Will a 4x4 sr or sre (2.4L pre 1996) be strong enough? 2) Do I need to go to a 2.7 L or to a 6 cyl? 3) Will I need to go with bigger than stock wheels, which requires lifting the truck? 4) Any recommendation for tires that are best for soft sand?

I don’t care about looks or speed or off roading, although the Toyotas are great looking trucks. I am interested in reliability and economy and ability to drive over soft sand. The old 2.4L sr and sre 4 cyl engines have a fantastic record for longevity, reliability, durability, and low cost to maintain, I just don’t know if they are strong enough for what I need. The 2.7 L are rated for pulling 3500 lbs, but I haven’t seen a rating for the sr or sre 4x4s.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Your post title got my attention! However, I am not a trailer-boater... just a 'Baja Nut'! My web site is http://VivaBaja.com and I am into desert exploring, dirt roads, beaches and canyons of Baja along with an interest in old California history... which begins in Baja! Welcome to Tacoma World... Also, check out BajaNomad.com forums... Do you have Zack Thomas' super new book 'The Angler's Guide to Trailer-Boating Baja' ? http://www.transpeninsularoutfitters.com/

3. Apr 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    all 4x4 tacomas are either 2.7 4 cylinder or 3.4 v6, the 2.4 was only in the 5 luggers. and anything before 95 is considered a toyota pickup, i cant say ive ever pulled anything across the beach, but ive drove sand bars plenty and as long as you air down and dont gun it then i dont see where you would have a problem. the v6 will pull easier but a 4 cylinder shouldnt have a problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top