1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ejewels, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Mar 3, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    ejewels

ejewels [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    6112/5160/Dakars/Pro Tacoma Wheels
    Hey guys,
    In trying to understand the different 4x4 systems, I’ve learned about part time 4x4, full time and awd) I understand third gen tacos have part time, and it’s considered the best and “real” type of 4x4 out there.
    My question is, I read that on a part time 4x4 system like us tacos have, that the front axle locks when you engage the 4x4. But then why do I hear about people getting front aftermarket lockers?

2. Mar 3, 2018 at 10:11 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Google the following : how does 4x4 work

3. Mar 3, 2018 at 10:26 PM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    No Tacoma’s have factory front locking differentials. TRD offroad and Pro models have rear lockers. I hope someone can explain this better than I can.

4. Mar 3, 2018 at 10:28 PM
    Jason TRD OR

Jason TRD OR SIBI BUILT LLC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sibi Built LLC Placentia, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4
    King suspension w/ compression adjusters custom valving and 700# coils. Icon DJ uca. Icon RXT leafs Option #3. Durobumps. Demello rock sliders. Demello 30” Light Bar Baja Hoop bumper with Smittybuilt X2O winch w/ Amber baja design fogs w/ single row Baja Designs S8 amber light bar. Brute force Fab HC rear bumper. Behind Grille Light bar. TRD Pro Skid plate. Pelfrey Mid and Transfer case skid. TC spindle and cam tab gussets. Pop and lock. Method NV wheels 16”. SpiderTrax 1.25” wheel adapters. Yokohama Geolandar M/T (315/75/16). CMC. Radiator core reinforcement. Pro grille. Tailgate inlays. Baja Designs A pillar Ditch lights. Leer 100 XQ shell w/ power locks. In bed mounted spare. Blacked out emblems. Bed Mat. Bed Stiffeners. K&N air filter. Black Headlight Mod w/ LED projectors. Wrap Armor Anti glare hood and bedside decals. American flag decals. Northstar 24F AGM Pro battery. Differential breather relocate to rear tail light. Prinsu Designs Cabrack and Cap rack. OVTUNE Sibi Custom performance 4.88 91 fuel AGM . Nitro Gear 4:88 gears. Mountain hatch tailgate insert. In bed mounted Krazy Beaver shovel with Relentless quick fist bedrail mounts. MESO ultimate turn signals. AJT Designs Quicksand Key Fob. ECGS front needle bearing bushing replacement. Tepui LoPro 2 RTT.
    I think you are referring to ADD. Auto Differential Dissconnect.

5. Mar 3, 2018 at 10:34 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    The front axle locks when you engage 4x4 in the sense that it locks it to the rear axle through the transfer case because we don’t have a center differential. It is not locking the axle like a locker which forces both wheels to spin at the same rate.

6. Mar 4, 2018 at 4:49 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Unless you have a “locker” you have open diffs.
    When you “lock into” 4wd all you are doing is making a connection between the two diffs.
    So you get power to the front and rear.
    HOWEVER,

Even though you are in 4wd you do not have 4 WD.
    THATS WHERE THE LOCKERS COME IN.
    you may have heard the phrase “one wheel peel”
    One tire spins like in snow and the other one doesn’t do anything.
    Well the same in the front. One wheel has the power available.
    A locker connects both wheels on a given axle internally so when one wheel turns the other does also.
    So you are able to apply power to both wheels.
    So if you have “lockers front and rear” and you engage 4wd then you actually have the ability to apply power to the ground from every wheel.

7. Mar 4, 2018 at 5:24 AM
    ejewels

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Gotcha. That’s where I was getting confused from the article I read that said:

The Tacoma’s 4WD System (and Most Truck 4WD Systems, For That Matter)

The Tacoma – like a lot of pickup trucks – uses a part-time 4WD system. The front differential locks, which means that the Tacoma’s 4WD system should only be used on surfaces with limited traction. Using the Tacoma’s 4WD system on dry pavement should be avoided, especially if you plan on taking any turns.

In terms of engaging the front wheels, the Tacoma uses a center axle disconnect system. Basically, a 4WD Tacoma is just like a 2WD Tacoma until the 4WD system is engaged, as the front axle is disconnected by default.”

8. Mar 4, 2018 at 5:28 AM
    ejewels

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    but with alsd/ trac right?

But what if both tires are getting good traction on each axle, is power then going to all 4 wheels?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. Mar 4, 2018 at 5:53 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Unless you have a diff lock you have open diffs.
    Trac applies the brakes on the spinning wheel to transfer the power to the other side.

Good traction then yes equal power but we are talking low traction conditions.
    So you lose traction with open diffs and everything goes to that wheel with low traction.
    Locker keeps the torque equal to both wheels even though the wheel is off the ground it will
    Send the torque to the other wheel.

10. Mar 4, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    ejewels

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Gotcha, thanks. So open diff and electronic brake assisted lsd correct? Instead of mechanical

11. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    That’s the ticket buddy...

12. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    ejewels

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Thanks. So then if someone asks if a third gen Tacoma has an lsd, they all do, just electronic ones and not mechanical?

13. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:12 AM
    2DaMtns

2DaMtns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB in MGM
    Lift, tires, stuff
    Another thing to understand is why open differentials are necessary. They sound like a bad idea, but they're only bad when there's low traction. With normal use, like every day street driving, you don't need power to both wheels. The open differential allows each wheel to spin at different speeds. If you go around a curve, the wheel on the outside of the curve has to travel a little bit longer of a distance than the one on the inside of the curve, because the radius of the arc is greater on the outside. The difference is slight, but it matters. The open diff allows that outer wheel to turn a little bit faster. This allows better handling at higher speeds, longer tire life, and less wear and tear on the drive train.

You may have heard of people welding the differential. This permanently "locks" the axles on each side of the differential to each other so they have to spin together. A "spool" is a piece of metal that does the same thing, but is technically removable if you disassemble the whole differential to take it out. Welded and spooled diffs are usually only used on dedicated off road rigs or racecars. Locked differentials with good traction just tears the shit out of everything.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    ejewels[OP] likes this.
  14. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:12 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Your going to get lost in terms.
    Your going backwards..

A locker is a locker. Ours are “electronically “ activated.

I’m going to get turned around trying to say it right.

LSD are mechanical.
    Trac and open diff are brake controlled power transfer.

My head hurts now..

15. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:13 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Very well said.

Done enough of welded diffs.
    Glad he didn’t ask about that.

16. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:15 AM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    An lsd is a limited slip differential. It senses that one wheel has low or no traction and sends power to the other side. They are better than nothing, but aren't tough enough for serious use off road. Also, a locker makes them turn all the time, so you don't get any spinning unless both sides loses traction. An lsd lets the one wheel spin briefly before sending the power to the other wheel, so it could, in theory, slow or stop your progress. As mentioned above, they are mechanical and involve a set of clutches. Frequent engaging and disengaging as can occur with heavy off road use can burn them up or break them.

17. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    Another drawback of a lsd is that brief moment of spinning can cause your rig to start to slide on really slick stuff. Having both wheels start turning at the same time reduces that risk some.

18. Mar 4, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    ejewels

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Wait, I thought our trucks have a electronic lsd? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding. I know we don’t have mechanical ones that sometimes are options on other trucks, but don’t we have the electronic version?

Btw I have a sport so not the OR or Pro.

19. Mar 4, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    2DaMtns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lift, tires, stuff
    From what I can gather with some quick looking, older Tacomas (I think pre-2009) had a traditional mechanical LSD. It appears they replaced it with some kind of electrically operated LSD in 2009. I'm not familiar with exactly how it operates, but it does the same thing as a traditional mechanical LSD. An electronic LSD is not the electronic locker that is available in the off road and pro models, however. It is still an LSD.

20. Mar 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    Comatose

Comatose You snuff it, we stuff it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR Indy Ink
    Missing Critical Hardware Edition
    Think about it this way as wheels that get drive power:
    4x4 in 2WD = 1
    4x4 in 4WD = 2
    4x4 in 4WD with RR Difflock( OR and PRO) = 3

If you have equal traction on all 4 wheels, all wheels will drive it in 4WD, but if you are in slippery conditions refer to my above.

ejewels[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top