1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 problems with bigger tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacoGrande, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Nov 14, 2007 at 6:45 AM
    tacoGrande

tacoGrande [OP] Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    silver 02' Prerunner xtra cab
    Working on it.........
    I just thought i'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or ever heard of this. I have an 06 Tacoma TRD 4x4. About 9 months ago I installed a 3" revtek lift and went up to 33x10.50's all-terrains on stock 17" TRD sport wheels. I had no problems. This summer I switched out the tires with some 33x12.50 Mud tires (Mickey Thompson MTZ's) and added 1" spacers behind the stock wheels to keep them from rubbing. That woked fine at first also. Then the 4x4 started to have problems going in and out of 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. I would have to shut off the truck and turn the switch to 2 wheel to reset it or it would stay locked in 4x4 no matter what I did. I took it into the dealer who pulled the tranny and replace some 4x4 module. Again, everything worked fine.... for about 3 days. So I took it back again and the said that when they lifted the truck into the air it switched back and forth fine, but on the ground is when there are problems. The said they think it is the tires causing the problems. I have never heard of that before. Today they are trying a set of stock tires on it to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone had a similar experience. I know there are quite a few tacoma's out there with 3" lifts and 33's.

2. Nov 14, 2007 at 7:12 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I have never heard of that. It sounds more like the hubs are not disengaging for some reason. That is kinda weird, but you should know that 4WD (manual or automatic) performs COMPLETELY different on the ground as it does up in the air on a lift. There is no resistance to work against when it is off the ground.

3. Nov 14, 2007 at 10:33 AM
    tacoGrande

tacoGrande [OP] Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    silver 02' Prerunner xtra cab
    Working on it.........
    Well, I asked the dealership to call me when they swapped tires so I could see for myself if it was working. Mysteriously it now appears to be yet another burned out module that controls locking the front differential in for 4 wheel drive. Odd. I guess I'll find out tommorow if that fixes the problem, when I pick it up from the dealership.

4. Feb 15, 2008 at 10:36 AM
    toyo4x4

toyo4x4 Member

Member:
    Daytona Beach Fl
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD sport
    skid plate, grille craft black mesh grille, black halo projector headlights, K&N air charger, dual FlowMasters, black IPCW L.E.D tail lights, L.E.D tailgate light bar, 3 in revtech lift kit
    hey I don't know what you have for a warranty or anything but when i got mine i was told that if i had the same problem 3 times consecutively and Toyota either couldn't fix it or if the problem keeps coming back then you are supposed to be able to get everything replace by Toyota. Good luck man.

Products Discussed in

To Top