1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mlaulis, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    mlaulis

mlaulis [OP] Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    I just purchased a Tacoma access cab, 4x4, manual, 4 cly. Had it three weeks and wanted to use four-wheel drive to keep it lubricated. It went into 4HI fine, but when I slow down and turn, one of the rear wheels seems to lock up a little bite. It even chirps when I try to get it going. When I am moving straight everything is fine. Is there a problem with traction control? Is it because it's new? Should I take it to the dealer?

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    No, you don't drive in 4wd on pavement and take turns. If you want to engage it for the sole purpose of lubrication, then only do it on a straight stretch of road.

3. Jul 26, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    mlaulis

mlaulis [OP] Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for the info.

So, if it raining and the roads are slick I still shouldn't use the 4HI?

4. Jul 26, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    No, it isn't necessary.

5. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Do not run 4x4 on dry pavement, even straight the small differances in tire size and slight wheel movement create uneven wheel speeds. This causes driveline fatigue over time.
    Wet pavement and other low traction times are when you can run 4x4. Not necessary on wet roads, but fine for monthly cycling.

6. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    YotaDude01

YotaDude01 Kentucky Boy

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01' TRD off-road
    turning on pavement can tear up joints, bearings, maybe even the 4x4 shafts. you shouldnt turn on pavement wet or dry. (but if its snowy you can because your inside wheels will be able to turn easier and you shouldnt have the risk of breaking something). but driving in a straight line should be fine.

7. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    mlaulis

mlaulis [OP] Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Wow, never had this issue with my old jeep. So, do any of you guys actually drive the ten miles a month to keep the thing lubricated? I guess you fine a road that's straight for ten miles :)

8. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Nope, I don't. The passenger side drive shaft (half shaft) is still connected to the spider gears so they spin as the wheel spins. As long as the diff is full, you're good.

9. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    There's similar discussions on this forum...use the search function for more reading. Basically, driving on dry pavement, particularly turning, is extremely bad!! I don't bother with the recommended 10 miles, but if I find myself in a heavy downpour, I'll go ahead and flip it on just to get things lubed up, but I don't go out of my way to make it a monthly maintenance item.

10. Jul 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    YotaDude01

YotaDude01 Kentucky Boy

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01' TRD off-road
    i dont do the full ten miles. ill put it in 4x4 if im goin through a field or if i go down a gravel road or drive way. but before i get back on the road ill take it out of 4x4. i dont do it nowhere near the 10 miles though.

11. Jul 27, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    The last time I used 4wd was in February during a snow storm, so last week I took the truck off road and engaged 4 hi and 4 lo and had no issues what so ever. I wouldn't worry about the 10 miles per month, just use it when you can, and never on dry pavement. Like others have said, if you do engage it on dry pavement, make sure you are going straight.

12. Jul 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    mlaulis

mlaulis [OP] Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

13. Aug 2, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    mlaulis

mlaulis [OP] Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    I finally got an offical answer from Toyota about driving in H4 on dry pavement. Here it is:

The vehicle can be driven and turned on dry pavement when engaged in H4 (high speed position, four-wheel drive). Never drive the vehicle in L4 (low speed position, four-wheel drive) on dry pavement, as this causes severe stress on the drivetrain and should only be used at low speeds and when it requires maximum power and traction such as climbing or descending steep hills, off-road driving, and hard pulling in sand or mud. We recommend that you drive the vehicle in H2 (high speed position, two-wheel drive) under normal driving conditions and that should be used the vast majority of the time. You can find more information regarding the four wheel drive system on page 177 in your owner's manual.

Sincerely,
    Francisco Landaverde
    Toyota Customer Experience

But based on the experience, I won't be making any shape turns, even at slow speed, in H4 on dry pavement.

14. Aug 2, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    You will have a difficult (and not need to use it) time steering on dry pavement when in 4WD... This is because you are 'locked' with the rear axle, and the front tires turn more than the rear... that is the 'binding' you are reading about. While you could use 4WD during rain storms, with the TRAC and VSC the Tacomas now have to reduce skidding and tire slipping while in 2WD, you just don't need it.

Save it for OFF the Pavement (Off Road) or when show is covering the highways! Low Range is just that, low, low gearing for more torque power to climb and crawl up (or down) STEEP grades or to muscle through deep snow/ mud/ stuff!

The A-TRAC (if you were wise and got an Off Road TRD) works to give you locker-like traction on all 4 wheels when in L4 (push A-TRAC button once).

Now, go four wheeling!

15. Aug 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    in order to use it without hurting it; use only when slippery(snow,ice,mud,sand issues). needs slip.

16. Aug 2, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just dont turn sharp... like parking and full lock turns and its fine. It will bind like that even in the dirt and your tires will always be what slips... it wont destroy your vehcile.

Products Discussed in

To Top