1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 lug 95.5-04 Lowering info for newbs

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by Beefed Taco, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2021 at 8:40 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Turbo'd 95.5 extra cab and 2013 Silver DCSB TRD Sport
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    No hes not. What are you looking for?

2. Jan 19, 2021 at 8:52 PM
    krustytaco

krustytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco Single Cab
    3/4 drop kit for my 99

3. Jan 19, 2021 at 9:17 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    djm sells a 3/4 kit. or if you want to do coilovers up front i can help you out.

4. Jan 19, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    krustytaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco Single Cab
    trying to keep the budget low since my 99 is pretty ratty but definitely dont want it sketchy.

5. Jan 19, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    the djm kit is around $350-$400 and will be the most complete off the shelf kit. it comes with rear blocks, front upper control arms, and the hardware needed to do a balljoint flip. A lot of people dont like the balljoint flip because it can introduce bump steer but it is the cheapest option for the front. Its highly recommended to replace all the ball joints since Tacoma's are pretty notorious for ball joint failures, and a balljoint flip will add more stress to them. You will also likely want to replace your shocks while you're at it. Coilovers will run you about $650 but it will net the best ride quality with the added benefits of height and dampening adjustability.

Plkyone and krustytaco[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jan 19, 2021 at 10:28 PM
    2Runner

2Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab 2.4L MT 2WD
    If you dont want to do the ball joint flip to avoid "sketchyness" but are on a budget you may look into either:

Chassistech makes a 3" coil, has a stiffer 595 lb spring rate
    Belltech 2" coil, less drop but a softer rate and more compliant ride

You actual drop may vary, so I suggest to do the front first to see where you end up then add the rear blocks in either 3 or 4" to set your stance accordingly. This will get your drop in the $200+ range, blocks are pretty darn cheap.

Here is a Belltech kit for example. $227

DJM is not the cheap way to do a bj flip either since they charge you for control arms you dont need. I wouldnt do a bj flip either way though since I like my truck driving as good or better than factory, not worse when I put money and effort into it!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    krustytaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 19, 2021 at 10:41 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Aluminum blocks are a no no and thats what comes in that belltech kit. And the DJM kit cost is more for the control arms and steel blocks not the ball joint flip hardware. If people decide to go more than 3-4" up front the arms are necessary to get camber back within factory spec. Drop springs are a good option on a budget though.

Plkyone, krustytaco and Synergy001 like this.
  8. Jan 19, 2021 at 11:50 PM
    Synergy001

Synergy001 IG: @pnwx.taco

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    00 ACLB -Daily, 16 DCSB -Adventure Rig
    Weird I didn't notice my truck drive worse with the BJFK. It actually drives better than it did stock. Maybe its because I also changed out the ball joints, shocks and coils. The UCA's also gave me better caster/camber adjustability than stock. Just my 0.02 though from my experience and not what I read elsewhere.

krustytaco and mjbtaco like this.
  9. Jan 20, 2021 at 1:02 AM
    krustytaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco Single Cab
    hmmm might try those chassistech 3" drop springs and either 3 or 4 inch steel blocks from DJM at 75$, then shocks depending how these are (cant remember, been driving my 5vz). and then try to make some low-pro bumpstops like 2 runner made.

10. Jan 20, 2021 at 1:16 AM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    If I get anymore of the bump stops in stock I'll let you know. I made a run a few months ago and they sold out pretty quick.

Synergy001 likes this.
  11. Jan 20, 2021 at 1:18 AM
    krustytaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco Single Cab
    sounds good, just shoot me a pm or reply to me on a thread and i'll see it

12. Jan 20, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    This sounds like a good way to go to me.. it comes down a lot to how you want to drive and use the truck and opinions/results will vary of course! :thumbsup:

13. Jan 20, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    krustytaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco Single Cab
    just daily driving, the ocasional haul something in the bed like a dirt bike or a motor and cruise around. not really trying to track it or anything, just want a daily thats a bit more fun since ive never done anything to it.

14. Jan 20, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    ireymon

ireymon Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 X-Cab 5 lug 5 speed
    Hyundai wheels, dings & dents...
    FYI - that member hasn't been seen or heard from in a couple years.

krustytaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 20, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    ireymon

ireymon Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 X-Cab 5 lug 5 speed
    you're late, someone already answered :)

krustytaco likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    ireymon

ireymon Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 X-Cab 5 lug 5 speed
    I went with the Belltech kit. I don't think it gave a full 2" drop so buyer beware. Along with all new balljoints, tie rods, upper control arm bushings, the front end rides great. Very comfy, could be a little stiffer though to be able to drive more aggressively.

I only went with the BT kit despite having aluminum blocks because in the very near future, I hope to get new springs (4x4) to drop the back instead of using blocks. Hopefully aluminum is OK for a few months!!

Edit: and at some point change the front to coilovers :drool:

mjbtaco[QUOTED] and krustytaco like this.
  17. Jan 25, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    isaac665

isaac665 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    SoCal, Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma base 5 speed 2wd
    Intake, wheels, 3/3 drop all around, tires and sound system
    The taco got a a bit lower over the weekend :D replaced the aluminum 3 inch blocks for 4 inch steel blocks. Even tho chassis tech sent me the wrong blocks we managed to get it done regardless after some fab. Anybody have that link to the rear bump stops? :)

E13D5E6C-EEDF-4357-8763-8DEC9EA17F3E.jpg

TOY 96, mjbtaco, 2Runner and 2 others like this.
  18. Jan 25, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    @isaac665 looking good!

How do you like the ride of the Chassistech kit vs stock? Are you hitting your frame in the rear now over large bumps? Any issues getting aligned?

There is no link since these are not available to my knowledge. I ordered these Energy ultra low universal bump stops.

Then built some, basically traced the mounting plate from the oem part, and cut out with a water-jet at my buddies shop. Then just welded the Energy low profile universal bump to the center and coated with paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also heard of folks cutting down their stock ones, and even zip tying flip flops to the frame rail! Whatever keeps you from hitting the metal basically.

krustytaco and isaac665 like this.
  19. Jan 25, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    isaac665

isaac665 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    SoCal, Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma base 5 speed 2wd
    Intake, wheels, 3/3 drop all around, tires and sound system
    @2Runner appreciate it :cheers:

Definitely bottoming out in the rear now. The axle is sitting on the bump stops. But im sure after they get trimmed I should have no issues at all. Still a smooth ride. And i havent taken her back to get an alignment yet but i’ll let you know if there are any issues.

Ok yeah I thought you had custom made those little brackets. They look legit... i am just gonna end up trimming the stock bump stops. That flip flop trick isnt a bad idea either tho. Zip ties fix all :D

but for now she sits perfectly fine. Well in my eyes hahah :thumbsup:

20. Jan 25, 2021 at 12:13 PM
    2Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Heck yeah, sounding real good all around!! :thumbsup:

For reference, I removed my rear bump stops for a while before making the custom versions. I am only 3 inch drop but didnt have any bottoming out at all.

To Top