1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 Lug Brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by afd23a, May 8, 2009.

1. May 8, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    afd23a

afd23a [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    So I posted this in the Technical forum, but no love yet so I'm trying it over here.

Anyone done a brake job on their 5 lugger yet? I could use some advice.

After having my front end alignment yesterday, I was told by the shop that my front pads were at 90% wear and the rear shoes were at 70%. Front rotors measured better thickness than spec'd by Toyota .

I'm at least going to replace the front pads, maybe the rear shoes too. Not sure if I should go ahead and do the rotors too since I'll have it apart. I was going to go with Hawk ceramic pads, but they don't make pads for the 5 lug. The folks at raceshopper.com recommended the Powerstop Z-16 pads. Also thinking about the SP Performance slotted rotors.

Anyone have an opinion of good of a combo this would make?

2. May 8, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I've been buying from Edwin for about a decade now across more than 20 vehicles and he's never steered me wrong. If he recommends the setup, I'd bet cash that it will perform well for you.

3. May 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    afd23a

afd23a [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Thanks for the recommendation. I called today and made my order. :thumbsup: Got pads and rotors for the front. Went with the SP Performance Slotted Rotors and Steet Plus Pads. The pads are not "ceramic" , but are supposed to be a low dust pad. Their FAQ was very helpful in learning more about brakes and the materials that they are made of. Like many other things, the it seems like you have to make some compromises on the features you want. I'll see how well this setup works for me. Edwin was very helpful in answering my questions about their products.

Also got the Motive Products Universal Bleeder off Amazon after seeing it on Gadget's website. Should make bleeding much easier. :D

By the way, I think the TRD pads are made by Performance Friction and are available from raceshopper for cheaper than other places. They are NOT a low dust pad, which is why I went with the SP's.

4. May 8, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Nice! Post a before/after write-up when you're done. I'm curious to know if you see a performance improvement! :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top