1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 Lug Budget Big Brake Kit (No Caliper Brackets)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mjbtaco, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Mar 6, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco [OP] low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Turbo'd 95.5 extra cab and 2013 Silver DCSB TRD Sport
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    Yeah i looked it over again in the day light and didnt see anything other than the 1. Tried googling it but didnt find a definitive answer so i gave up lol

2. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:37 PM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    Check out that difference lol

PhotoGrid_1488938661823.jpg

3. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:51 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Dude that's awesome. I bet it stops instantly.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mjbtaco[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    It does pretty good! Lol

5. Mar 9, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Forgot to add the size of the washer to shim out the caliper to align it with the rotor.

It is shimmed 0.13in or 3.3mm towards the rotor to align it with the rotor.

There is also a 0.11in or 2.7mm washer on the other side of the spindle on the bolt to space out the bolt away from the rotor.

I'll get the size of the bolt when i can.

Edit the bolt is 14mmx1.5 still trying to get the length of it

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. Mar 24, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Original post has been updated with all of the completed info.

7. Apr 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
  8. May 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    beemerphile

beemerphile Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Danielsville, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Standard I4 Man
    Looks like the chosen calipers are widely NLA now. From my research, it looks like the new caliper numbers are:

AC Delco 172-2777 (GM 84089034) left
    AC Delco 172-2768 (GM 84089035) right

These are the ones the Subaru guys are now using. I hope that the spacing hasn't changed and that it is still adapter free on the 5lug. They don't seem to have changed their adapter bracket so hoperfully these new parts fit. I will know soon.

I'll also need to determine whether the hardware kits and pads are the same as used with the prior calipers.
    Lee

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    cruiserguy likes this.
  9. May 11, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    beemerphile

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Danielsville, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Standard I4 Man
    Looks like you are running wheel spacers. Is that required to clear between the calipers and the wheels, or is it for wheel fitment reasons?

I got my rotors, hardware, and pads. Waiting now on the new part number calipers to see if I am screwed.

Lee

10. May 11, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    Sperrunner

Sperrunner Respect the International Dibs Law

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    Berkeley, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford F250
    Wd40, zipties, duck tape, and my hopes and dreams
    He probably has wheel spacers because his back spacing is to high so it would rub. With a lower bs on the same wheel he probably would clear. Thats just my guess

beemerphile[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 11, 2018 at 12:09 PM
    beemerphile

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Danielsville, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Standard I4 Man
    That is what I was hoping for. I have Hyundai Sonata 17's on my truck and they are offset perfectly as they are...

[​IMG]

Next Q: Is the Cadillac logo embossed on the caliper? Looks like they have been repainted (or powder-coated) and Brembo logo'ed probably with a high temp decal.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  12. May 11, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    The spacers would depend on offset of your wheel. Mine clear without them, I only have them in there for aesthetics. I went to wider fenders and wanted a little more offset to account for them.

13. May 18, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    i looked into this a bit more today and Amazon listed these new part numbers as the "newer part" while looking at the old links. i have updated the thread with the new part numbers and links to the updated calipers.

14. May 18, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    beemerphile

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Danielsville, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Standard I4 Man
    I'll be able to fit test the new calipers in about a week. My discs are at the machine shop right now.

mjbtaco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Oct 14, 2019 at 9:46 PM
    SpecialEd95.5

SpecialEd95.5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    95.5 3.4 mt
    Many
    Great upgrade! Just wondering where you got the calipers with the big Brembo Logo instead of the Caddy logo? Thanks

mjbtaco[OP] likes this.
  16. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:07 AM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    They were powdercoated then I put the brembo decals on

17. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:08 AM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
  18. Oct 21, 2019 at 11:59 PM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    you dont happen to have a measurement of the center of each mounting bolt do you? im curious for my avalon if the 4 lugs have the same caliper mount spacing

19. Oct 22, 2019 at 4:19 AM
    mjbtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    sorry man i dont off hand. i do have a stock caliper that i can measure though i'll try to measure when i get home from work.

Empty_Lord[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 22, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    RedManRocket

RedManRocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Sonora, Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab LT
    Esb 5.5 with Kings Mcneil 6.5 fenders Other stuffs
    I'll keep that in mind when I do my brakes. Great find :thumbsup: