1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 Lug Lift Revisited...Idea on Options

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by alextreme76, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    alextreme76

alextreme76 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 265/70/16 Rugged Fails
    So I was looking at the service manual for the 5 lug and 6 lug front suspensions, everyone keeps saying they are TOTALLY different setups, but they look like the same basic coilover with different lengths (which dictates different control arms). I cant find anyone that has seriously looked at the spacer leveling kits for the 5 lug from a 6 lug. So has anyone looked at the dimensions and is there a difference so a 6 lug spacer wont fit?

Can someone with a 6 lug get me some dimension info on the upper bolts so I can compare it to our 5 lug.

5 lug left 6 lug right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feb 29, 2008 at 5:01 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I'm a draftsman so maybe I'm picking up differences faster than the average mortal but I see several differences in that picture.

Looking at the size of the bolts on the bottom I'd say the scale of the parts is different so the right one is much longer. and probably wider.
    The mounting surfaces at the top are completely different.
    The number of coils is about double so a spacer designed for that long coil would probably reduce the amount of travel to something less than acceptible.

But those are potential problems which isn't what you asked for. If you're just going for looks you can probably get away with a lot. If you're planning on off roading I'd be careful using parts not designed for your suspension.
    Good luck with your research!

3. Feb 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM
    alextreme76

alextreme76 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 265/70/16 Rugged Fails
    i see what you are are talking about, but length of bolts and there location on top of the coilover is the only real factor for most spacers. a coilover spacer usually sits atop the coil over, not inside, so the shock still has the factory amount of travel, its has just been relocated to a lower hanging position. i wouldnt stick like a daystar kit inside the coilover, most of the spacer kits i have seen for 6 lugs look to be a top mount spacer anyway.

the only real problems with a spacer on top of the coilover would be the grade of the mounting bolts on the coilover, but sheer force shouldnt be anymore or little less than a prerunner, with a 31.

4. Mar 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    That makes me so happy. I'm willing to bet that the 6 lug coils would bolt onto the 5 lug suspension and just might provide the added lift. It all depends on if the bolts line up and if the oal is not too much longer.

5. Mar 22, 2008 at 2:06 AM
    tacomanub08

tacomanub08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Access Cab I4
    Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Front Tint
    wow, that's awesome... thanks gm3bow

Products Discussed in

To Top