1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 Lug LSD, Which one? Why? Any problems?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Camshaft, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    Camshaft

Camshaft [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camshaft
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 2.7 2wd
    GROM ipod, usb, 3.5mm input
    I need an LSD in my 5 lugger! Got stuck the side of the highway with one wheel in the snow this winter after stopping, and almost got stuck on a sandy dirt road yesterday.

What Brand have you used?
    Why did you pick that brand?
    Did you have any problems sourcing the part or installing it? (Im in Canada)

Finally, Are there any fine details I need to know before going ahead with this?

Ive never taken a rear end apart, and from what I understand I have the "8.4" open rear axle.

This is my compromise since the ol lady wont let me drop the extra $10g on a 4x4 :( ....for now heh heh heh

2. Mar 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    Hophornbeam

Hophornbeam Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Adamant, VT, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab SR5 longbed
    Detroit True-Trac made by Eaton.

It's a helical gear torque proportioning differential that will send more torque to the wheel with more traction (opposite of the behavior of a traditional "open differential"), up to a certain ratio (up to about 3:1 if I recall correctly). Sort of like a geared computer. No clutches to wear, nothing slamming in and out of engagement.

Had one in a Dodge diesel, and the thing would walk out of wet grass and mud in 2wd without wheelspin, which is unheard of especially with all of the low end torque of a diesel.

Widely available through places that supply differentials. If you have not done a diff before you might want to strongly consider having it done on an "exchange' basis where someone supplies you with a 3rd member with the diff installed, and you send back the "core" of your old 3rd member with the open diff..

3. Apr 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Camshaft

Camshaft [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camshaft
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 2.7 2wd
    GROM ipod, usb, 3.5mm input
    Great info Thanks for sharing! Im looking into this now, just having a hard time figuring out exactly which truetrac part number i require. it seems the 2wd base tacomas have a unique rear end set up compared to the other tacomas from what i can tell. Anyone know exactly which truetrac i require for the 2wd base auto sr5 2.7 axle code A01A? :D

Products Discussed in

To Top