1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100s for 2016 3rd Gen Tacos

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 619HiluxLover, May 19, 2016.

1. Mar 30, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    arnette64

arnette64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amos, QC (Canada)
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD Sport Double Cab 4X4
    '16 Inferno TRD sport DC
  2. Mar 31, 2017 at 1:18 AM
    joestacos

joestacos Ice cold rice water

Member:
    First Name:
    that1tacoguy
    CenCal
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Pro Driver inside
    Front 5100 set @ #3
    Nothing in rear
    265/75/16 BFG KO2s

IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg

Jtgumy, Jukeboxx13, Mr-Paul and 4 others like this.
  3. Mar 31, 2017 at 2:42 AM
    Bob1sh

Bob1sh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4x4
    Anyone actually use these shocks off-road?

4. Mar 31, 2017 at 2:50 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    best price on 5100's?

5. Mar 31, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    nevadabugle

nevadabugle Desert Rat

Member:
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR manual in quicksand
    Yes. Fronts set at .85 ride far better than stock shocks offroad. I've used them hard for about 15000 miles.

Rear 5100s are another story. I blew both rear shocks. Not sure how.

6. Oct 6, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    Tcgator

Tcgator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fernandina beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD Offroad
    For all you guys who have installed billstein 5100 all around with stock springs.. I’m looking to swap out my shocks as well.. I have the TRD OR package that comes with the stock billies and was wondering how the ride quality compares to the 5100s in the rear and in the front. If you don’t mind giving me individual comparison of stock billstein rear vs 5100 rear and stock billstein front vs 5100 front

7. Oct 6, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    cactushead

cactushead Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRDOR
    Front hitch, 5100's, 885's, Snugtop XV, Slimline II, Sumos, bed platform, AAL, interior LED lights in cab and bed, exterior camp/backup LED's, Rigid DOT Fogs and D2 Pro Spots, Mega Ultra +130 bulbs, heavy-duty fog light, spot light, and low beam wiring harness, Weathertech mats, Re-routed dif breather and A/C drip line, dash cam, front and side cameras, anytime rear camera and nav, Blue Seas fused bus bars to cab and bed, heavy-duty bus bar w/Anderson quick disconnects under the hood for powering winch, solar, air compressor, and other accessories.
    I have a DCSB 4X4 TRDOR with a Snugtop XV, stock leaf springs, wheels and tires. While installing the rear 5100's, I also replaced the bumpstops with SumoSprings. I drove it this way for a few weeks before installing the front 5100's. The problem with the stock Bilsteins is that they are too bouncy.

With just the rear shocks replaced, the ride was out of sync; the rear was now firm, but the front was still too bouncy. Once the front struts were installed with the stock springs (set at .85), the ride was firmed up in the front, as well as the back. Now, when going over speed bumps, it no longer feels like riding on a buckboard. IOW, the bounciness is gone!

I went on an 800 mile road trip the week after putting them on and they drove great. However, after I returned home and unloaded all of my camping gear, I noticed I now had a Cali Lean. This is surprising since the SumoSprings supposedly add 5/8" to the rear. In any case, I decided to have the front lowered to 0. The ride feels the same, but I got back some rake.

8. Nov 3, 2017 at 10:12 PM
    jahooten

jahooten Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Crew Cab SR5
    Going with 5100’s on all 4. Looking for opinion/advice on .85 or 1.75 setting. Photo is stock height with 265/75/r16 on 2017 TRD OR. Looking for a just a little more height to better match the larger tires plus better handling. To be honest, this is mostly for just better appearance. Would like to hear general opinions based on the current look and spec on the truck. Thanks 91CAE001-093D-4E31-957A-F4F1347C9B88.jpg

9. Nov 4, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Here’s a copy of a letter I got with very good suspension and 5100 info From Headstrong Offroad. I’f it helps you in your decision, please consider calling them with your business:

The Bilstein 5100's are popular since they provide some additional and performance over stock while still being budget friendly however they can be a bit limiting off the road. Especially the new version for the 3rd gens. Since that is the case we do have quite a bit of people going with the 2nd gen Bilsteins on their 2016+'s. I created a thread comparing the two. Here is a link if you want to check it out: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-available-in-stock-and-ready-to-ship.455220/

You can run either of the Bilstein 5100's with the aftermarket lift coils we list or your factory springs. The lift coils will provide the lift and the Bilstein will remain at the zero setting. If you stay with your factory coils you would have to adjust the snap ring up to the desired settings on the shock itself. From the feedback I have, so far, people feel as if the top notch settings provide a less then desirable ride quality. In the case of the 3rd gen 5100's I have had a few customers dislike the ride from the 1.1 setting and above. Customers do turn to the lift coil option because they feel as if it supports the truck better and helps prevent the nose dives at stops and the sloshy cornering that you see with the stock suspension without being as stiff as the ride with the preloaded stock spring.. This all just comes down to which option you feel best suits your particular needs. Now or down the line.

In this realm of lifts you also have the OME suspension kits. I have many people who go back and forth between the Bilstein 5100's and the OME's. What typically differs from the Bilstein 5100 kits and the OME kits is the shocks themselves. Most of the other components stay the same (rear lift options). Since this is the case I find it helpful to compare the shocks side-by-side, this way you can see which ones would be suit your specific needs.

Some of the differences between the OME nitrocharger sport shocks and Bilstein 5100 shocks are below:
    Bilsteins are a steel body that has been coated with their triple-C coating which seems to hold up better in the elements the powder coating that OME's has on their steel shocks.
    There are two different OME struts available the standard 90000 which are the firmest and the 90021 soft ride struts. The Bilsteins fall in the middle as far as valving is concerned.
    The OME's have a slightly larger shock diameter then the Bilsteins.
    The Bilsteins are a monotube shock and the OME are twin tube.
    The OME shocks have an internal component which can be noisy at times. Some people refer to it as the "speed bump clunk." The Bilsteins do not have this same component design.
    The OME rear shocks will work the Dakar pack and not require bump stop modification or longer brake lines but they limit the amount of droop you see from the Dakar leaf pack. The standard length Bilstein 5100's really should be used with one of the add-a-leafs or a block up to 1.5". The extended length RCD/Bilsteins will also work with the Dakar leaf pack but longer brake lines are needed and possible bump stop modification but you get more droop from the pack.

The 6112 is a strut and coil combination which uses the notch settings on the shock with the coil provided to achieve lift. They come with a 600lb spring rate tapered coil. They have a much larger shock diameter then the factory shock (which is a 1.5" diameter and the Bilstein 5100's have a 2.0 diameter) which helps with the displacement to keep the shock cooler longer when under strain from an extended period of time. They are not fully adjustable or revalvable. However they are a nice upgrade over the stock suspension and the Bilstein 5100's. From most of the feedback I have, provide a nice on and off-road ride quality even at the higher notch settings. They have a steel body that has been zinc coated. They pair nicely with the 5160 remote reservoir rear shocks. Some people do run the 5100's with the 6112's if they do not need the added extension or the reservoir. I usually say that if the 5100 and a coilover unit like Fox had a baby, the 6112's would be what you get.

Up from this type of lift you have the ADS, Fox, Icon, and Kings which provide quite a bit more performance, capability, and adjustability. If you want to go over these options more in depth I can provide you with information on these as well.

For the rear you can go with either a block, a single leaf add-a-leaf, a 3-leaf progressive add-a-leaf or a full leaf pack replacement. (If you want to explore the full leaf pack option let me know and I can go over the different options that we have available). Since you tow you do could benefit from just an airbag suspension in back. https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p225/FireStone_Ride-Rite_Air_Bags_for_2005-2016_Tacoma.html

The lift achieved from any kind of spring, whether it is a leaf spring or a coil spring, is a variable lift. Meaning that the amount of lift achieved can vary. Depending on the condition of your factory pack and how it responds to the addition of the aal you can see a difference in lift height. On average the aal will provide approx. 1.5"-2" of rear lift. The ride quality will be stiffer from the use of either style of aal since you are adding more steal out back. However you do gain some added load carrying capabilities. The nice thing about a lift block is it is a 1 for 1 ratio meaning that a 1.5" block will provide 1.5" of lift so it is easier to fine tune rear lift and stance with a block over a variable lift from an aal. The block will maintain the factory ride quality but does not provide any added capabilities. It really comes down to which lift option you feel you would prefer.

I have a lot of people who are interested in the add-a-leafs. Since that is the case, I find it helpful to provide my customers with this comparison of the add-a-leafs so you can narrow down which one you feel would best suit your needs and get the spec's on each:

The single AAL is both thicker and arched more than the initial leaf in the 3 leaf AAL. Though the 3 leaf AAL has more steel overall, the first leaf in the mini pack does not engage as quickly as the single AAL does. In fact the single AAL is arched to a point where it re-arches the existing factory packs upon assembly and thus engages immediately. The 3 leaf AAL has less arch and complies with the arch of the factory packs. So although the first leaf in the 3 leaf AAL will provide some support with the smaller bumps, it won't provide as much as the single AAL will, which translates to a slightly stiffer on-road ride. And as far as the 2nd and 3rd leafs in the 3 leaf AAL, these will only come into play until the factory packs are flexed far enough to engage them. This will happen more so over the bigger bumps or when off-roading. The single leaf provides approx. 1.5"-2" of lift and the 3-leaf provides approx. 1.5" of lift with the factory overload removed and approx. 2" with it retained. The overload does provide function, for when you are over load, so removing it or retaining it can depend on what you use your truck for. If you find yourself hauling or towing a decent amount of weight you may want to keep the overload in to keep the factory pack and add-a-leaf from overflexing. Now the performance and capabilities of any of the add-a-leafs still do rely on the factory leaf pack and its capabilities and wareability.
    Basically, from the feedback I have, the single leaf provides a stiffer ride quality but better initial support of consistent weight and the 3-leaf provides a better ride quality and as more of the leafs are engaged then the weight support comes into play.

We do not offer installations at this time however we do work with some places in town who install products purchased from us at a discount. Once you decide on the set up I can help get a quote for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.
    Thank you so much.
    Marie
    www.headstrongoffroad.com
    headstrongoffroad@hotmail.com
    951-658-3030

BRFab, sierra141, NewWheeler and 7 others like this.
  10. Nov 17, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    jahooten

jahooten Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Crew Cab SR5
    Stupid question for the Forum....I have a 2017 TRD Off Road 4dr short bed. If I decided to use new coils as my means of lifting the truck (I'm just looking for 1.5-2" in lift), why do I need to also upgrade to the 5100's and leave them at the zero setting?? Can I just get new coil springs (OME 885's) and run the stock Bilsteins that come on the TRD Off Road package? It seems to me that a large part of the updgrade and costs that come with the 5100's is the adjustable travel technology, but if your plan is to not use that functionality at all, is it worth the upgrade?

11. Dec 18, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    srdoublecab2.7

srdoublecab2.7 SRlifted&gifted

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC SR 2.7 MGM
    Stock for a minute
    Trying to get an inch or 2 lift in the front maybe a 1 inch block in the rear level maybe a slight rake

About to order some 5100s but also want some ome springs

I have a double cab 2.7 prerunner...

What springs should I run? @HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  12. Dec 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    PM sent!

13. Jan 2, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    Can someone please tell me why everyone is stating they set there 5100s at 1.75 when there is no option for that setting? Only 1.1 or 1.5?

14. Jan 2, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    OregontoBajaCA

OregontoBajaCA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017DCLBOR
    3rd gen 5100s do 1.55 inchD1B9AE93-94E9-4919-A2B4-60DB5580A7B5.jpg 2nd gen 5100s do 1.75 inch. You can order either. I believe from what others are saying, they both fit either 2nd and 3rd gen Tacomas
    125A79D0-E4AA-448F-ACC5-8BF0A913D5A8.jpg

arnette64 and Roddy13 like this.
  15. Jan 2, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    OregontoBajaCA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017DCLBOR
    4 rings on 2nd gen
    5 rings on 3rd gen 5100s and rings are spaced closer together.

16. Jan 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    KhaiNguyen

KhaiNguyen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are you guys running bilstein 5100 with stock springs?

OnHartung'sRoad likes this.
  17. Jan 10, 2018 at 10:59 PM
    OregontoBajaCA

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017DCLBOR
    I am.
    To me the ride is slightly firmer with the 5100s, but still very comfortable. A pleasant surprise was that roll and sway is reduced in curves and around corners compared to the stock Bilsteins.
    They soak up the speed bumps just as well as the stock shocks.

I have not used aftermarket springs.

arnette64 and OnHartung'sRoad like this.
  18. Jan 10, 2018 at 11:49 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    I am too- exact same results as OregontoBajaCA. I’m also using single leaf Dakar in rear and it is perfect for me with a load or not.

arnette64 likes this.
  19. Jan 11, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    tacoeuro

tacoeuro Member

Member:
    I know there were more people stating they got their 5100s super cheap on jet.com, but I am not getting the same deals, and all those promo codes have expired :/ I came across this thread just last night and went through it

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018
  20. Mar 25, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    r6chan

r6chan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Johnson City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR/wTech-Package
    I know this post is old but what size tires are pictured here!? Looks great! Is that with the lift at .85 (second gen bilsteins)?

Products Discussed in

To Top