1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6" lift, is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by InfamousTonyTaco7714, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:17 AM
    InfamousTonyTaco7714

InfamousTonyTaco7714 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Timberland Mica
    Borla Catback, 6 inch Pro Comp Stage 1 17x9 Matte Black XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Radar Renegade R7, Pioneer Double Din, Iron Cross Side Steps, Tactical Armor Group Front Bumper, ARE MX series camper shell, Geared 4.10
    Thanks for the kind words, I'm very uneducated when it comes to vehicle suspensions. That's why I've come here with any questions I've had about my truck in the 8 years I've owned it. If lifting my truck safely, and getting the best outcome turns out to be more then my budget, I'll just save up and wait till my bank account justifies. I'm sure I'm going to have many many questions throughout the process of research and finding out what lift best fits what I'm looking for. I don't wheel my truck, I just drive it. Every now and again I might hit a little simple trail, but nothing that's going to flex my truck out or even be consider true "wheeling". So I'm not looking for a perfect off-road capable lift, I do want decent ride quality though because my truck is on the highway at 75 mph a lot. If I have to regear the truck to justify putting 35s on it when the time comes, then that's just another expense I will have to take into account whenever I do bite the bullet. If I do get a 6 inch soon though, it'll be awhile before I get rid of my 285/70's because they only have 3000 miles on them at the most.

2. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:22 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Sounds like you got a good approach man. Not a bad call on keeping what you got now tire wise, I would strongly recommend a regear if you go to 35s. Especially with the highway miles, Im sure you will notice the difference pretty fast. I have decided to stick with 33's cause my last truck had 35s and it was a good experience, but I had my fun with it. Def keep on researching man and talking with the companies, doesn't hurt to start getting a wish list going with the db kit and start figuring out what are key components, vs what is something you can add down the road.

Coot

3. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:23 AM
    InfamousTonyTaco7714

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    Borla Catback, 6 inch Pro Comp Stage 1 17x9 Matte Black XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Radar Renegade R7, Pioneer Double Din, Iron Cross Side Steps, Tactical Armor Group Front Bumper, ARE MX series camper shell, Geared 4.10
    I don't ever fully flex my truck-not a problem running 35s.

If my driveshaft goes out, looks like I'm replacing it, not a hard thing to answer

Do I have wheel bearings? Pretty sure that was an option on my truck just like yours. They wear out? Replace them, simple.

Regear? If I wanna regear, you guessed it, I'll regear the bastard.

Never said or thought I wouldn't have to shell out extra cash to address issues. I posted a lift kit and asked about it.

4. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:27 AM
    InfamousTonyTaco7714

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:

I may not end up going with 35s for sure myself. I've seen quite a few with 6 inches under them sitting on 33x12.50 and it definitely looks good. Since my tires are so new, if I get a lift soon, that'll give me plenty of time to decide what tire and what size to throw on it next. Thought about looking around and getting in touch with a company or two in the next few days to get some ideas and get, like you mentioned, a good wishlist going so that I can get a better idea of what price range I'm looking at to get where I wanna be. And that'll give me a time frame on when my truck goes towards the heavens just a bit more!

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:33 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    You are 4x4 so you have wheel bearings in the front. These sit inside the spindles that rotate with the CVs. I actually just replaced mine as the bearings failed on them and a few on here sell complete drop in bearing kits for $350 shipped I believe. These arnt super critical if they fail, but over time you will notice the feel and possibly some noise. Don't worry too much though man, this is a COMMON wear item no matter what you go with, hence why a few members sell them here. Typically they go around the 90-120k mile mark depending on your set up. Before I went LT I had king coilovers with 2 inches of lift, Im sure having some lift over stock will add a little wear, but dude its a bearing that wont last forever. So with that being said, just be aware with the DB that you might have slightly more aggressive wear times on stuff, at the same time though with only seeing highway, you might have some longevity over someone like me who tries to hit the trail when I can. Trucks arnt perfect unfortunately!

Coot

ruffridha9 likes this.
  6. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I was being blunt. I would do more searching around and research so you have a good idea of what the different types of lifts are and what the best option for you is.

If you think a 6" lift can be done with $500 then you really don't understand what you are in for. Like I said, this is your life and a very expensive truck, you do things the wrong way it might not end well for you or the truck.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't beat around the bush.

I also didn't comment on your intelligence, I commented on your knowledge of lifts. And my comment was true. Go to the suspension part of the forum and do some poking around. There is a TON of information on this forum.

With a 6" lift you are talking new drive shaft, frame cutting/welding (that you cannot undo by the way), UCAs, CV etc. like I said closer to a $5,000 project. Then if you want to get into big tires you have to completely re-gear, cut fenders, the list of shit that costs thousands goes on.

A $500 kit is that insane of a suggestion. I wasn't insulting you. It was a warning.

Again, not an insult.

7. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:52 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    Op if you decide to get a drop bracket I suggest getting the basic kit and buying the extra items that you will want to add for your needs ( coilovers, longer brake lines, new leaf pack etc) I have owned several db kit and haven't had any issues. Yes I would stay away from rough country but rcd, bds,zone are some good kits to go with. Since you don't really offroad you can just purchase for the longer bilstein shocks for the front used on the rcd kit and use them on any db kit you decide to go with. Since the leaf packs on the Tacomas are a weak point you can always get some custom alcan leafs made or get a set of allpro or Dakar leafs. If you have any question feel free to ask away.

FinnJ, ForcedFedTaco and Coot83 like this.
  8. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Some solid advice, at the same time the OP is likely new to the suspension game like he previously stated. Like most of us...seeing a product that is considerably cheaper than expected would get me asking if it was legit atleast if I didn't know any better. I think with all of the input this thread has encouraged, the OP is becoming more informed. I think the OP came here originally to get enlightened...so to bash him for asking if a $500 lift item is possible, no need to keep rehashing the "no" when I think the message has already been received.

Coot

9. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:58 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Thanks for this brother...looks like you are the man to go to here.

Coot

10. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM
    InfamousTonyTaco7714

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:

Thanks for that. Yes, seeing 500$ for 6 inches of off open my mind to questions. I'm knowledgeable enough to know that's an extremely low price to see, but this day and age, you never know! And thanks for the rehashing the no. I know know that no is the answer. I love people who say they're "blunt" and try using it as an excuse to be rude to another person for having a question.

11. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:25 AM
    7six2Fan

7six2Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DC LB
    You sure seem to have a lot of experience for having a near stock truck.

Not sure what you mean by 'the circle I run in', but that's a random comment.

I run stock UCA'S on my 6" and it aligns straight as an arrow. I get a balance/alignment/tire rotation every 10k miles, never had an issue getting it 'close to spec'.

I agree with the research on 35s and regear, but it's not 100% needed. Friend of mine has 110k miles on stock gearing and 35s, no driveshaft issues. It's all how someone drives.

I'm 70k miles and 4 years into my Pro Comp lift, and haven't had to 'shell out any cash because of associated problems'. I also didn't cut any corners or try some ghetto setup.

It's easy to talk out your ass when you can say 'but I saw it on the forums'. I wasn't coming to OP's rescue, I was negating your opinionated comments that had no fact behind them.

TxFireman and Coot83 like this.
  12. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:31 AM
    justinalldredge19

justinalldredge19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arab, Alabama

Race car dynamics. Check them out.

13. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    justinalldredge19

justinalldredge19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arab, Alabama
  14. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    True that on the UCAs...mine never had alignment issues either with my 04.

Coot

15. Mar 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    ruffridha9

ruffridha9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma base
    stock ish
    You talk like this is my first rodeo chip.
    My 2nd gen is stock.
    Not so my 89 before it.
    I lifted that 3" and learned through trial and error some expensive life lessons early on that I wish I would have known before lifting to optimize ride quality and wear of components.

So I'm gathering that after your lift was installed, you never had to make any tweaks or adjustments anywhere to accommodate for it.
    Thats pretty cool you never had any issues going big.
    do you think you are the rule or the exception?

Why do I have to be talking out of my ass by reiterating what is widely discussed on the forum to ensure he is fully aware of what he's getting into?
    Did op not inquire about info on 6" lift kits?
    If he did extensive research I think he may have arrived at an answer on his own without Needing to ask for input.
    But he did.
    If anything, The thread saved him time from having to read through a bunch of threads that may or may not address his inquiry, or at the very least collectively, we've made him aware that lifting that much may or may not lead to other issues and what to look out for.

All I did was suggest a higher caliber kit to hopefully mitigate any potential issues and it seems I offended you.

My opinionated comments with no fact behind them would be hard to substantiate without some sort of central location where people who have actual experience running setups can come together to document the good, bad, and ugly of said setups to make others aware of what they're getting into :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  16. Mar 24, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    I do appreciate you clarifying that you are simply recommending another DB kit over what the OP was possibly interested in as at first I got the impression you were trying to prove that going the drop bracket route would likely prove to not be successful. I think the challenge with this type of lift is it can get quite spoty with the manufacturers in weeding out the more quality ones as many advertise similar products, but takes real world knowledge to help distinguish the more reliable ones.

Coot

ruffridha9[QUOTED] and 7six2Fan like this.
  17. Mar 24, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    7six2Fan

7six2Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DC LB
    My thoughts exactly, thanks for clarifying @ruffridha9

ruffridha9 and Coot83[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Mar 24, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    "Drop bracket lifts can't wheel"
    "DB lifts are for mall crawlers"
    "Anything over 3 inches ruins your truck"

I totally agree....

TxFireman, FinnJ, ruffridha9 and 2 others like this.
  19. Mar 24, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Nice pics man, next level with those TC arms! I got the same shackles! WINNNNNNNNNNNNN

Coot

20. Mar 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    ruffridha9

ruffridha9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma base
    stock ish
    Ahh
    I see said the blind man.
    Yea, just presenting him with another option to hopefully avoid headaches.

I would never shit on someone else's plans for their truck- no matter if I disagreed or didn't like the idea- it's their truck.

I def agree real world knowledge/ experience helps with these types of Inquires.

Products Discussed in

To Top