1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 Speed Manual Transmission Issues?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 4wd_Taco, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Jul 24, 2016 at 7:07 PM
    4wd_Taco

4wd_Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR M/T
    It seems to be a very temperamental and inconsistent issue that the dealership was not able to replicate after the 1st occurance. Put another 500 miles on the truck with no issues but it reared it's head for the 2nd time today. Figured 1st time it was a freak occurance but the second time around I am a bit more skeptical.

After stop and go traffic (shifting consistently though gears 1-4) then getting up to highway speeds it is extremely hard to shift out of 5th or 6th gear. It feels like the clutch is still engaged but the clutch pedal is buried to the floor. It doesn't pop or grind when it finally does come out of gear, just feels like I am trying to pry a hatchet out of tree stump. Then the problem disappears and the transmission is as smooth as glass through every gear.

Truck is a 2016 TRD with a 6 speed manual transmission. 1500 miles.

I have searched to see if anyone else has experienced these issues and come up dry.

Any and all input is appreciated :thumbsup:

2. Jul 24, 2016 at 7:14 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    South of Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
  3. Jul 24, 2016 at 7:32 PM
    aero90

aero90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 M/T - Sold
    Ouch, sorry man. You're in deep with this unless you can convince toyota to give you a new transmission......good luck.

4. Jul 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM
    4wd_Taco

4wd_Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR M/T
    You are a saint. Just finished reading though the thread and am glad I am not alone.

5. Jul 26, 2016 at 12:01 PM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style
    TSB for the 2nd gen... with the clutch "sticking" - likely its the clutch master cylinder. Specially the way you describe your issues. Stop n Go .. on the clutch a bunch then it binds. I'd make sure your issues are documented even if they cannot replicate it. Sooner or later it will likely take a dump on you. Pedal to the floor and it stays there! Use the top of your foot on the btm of the clutch pedal to return pedal to normal position .... that's how you get home with a bad clutch master cylinder. Then get a tow to the shop!

It happens.. enough for a TSB ... you should be hearing a squeaking sound sometimes as well.

6. Jul 26, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    Rhubarb

Rhubarb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big D (TX)
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR, Manual Trans
    @bobrown14: Can you further explain the "squeaky sound." Do you mean as you depress the clutch, like unoiled door hinges? If so, I'm in that territory.

7. Jul 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    4wd_Taco

4wd_Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR M/T
    Thanks for the input. I'll keep an ear out for that. I'll also watch to see if there is an rpm drop when the clutch pedal is depressed. I had neglected to look at the tach while trying to avoid running into into a slow moving vehicle, wrestle the shifter out of 5th gear, and change lanes :annoyed:

I also scheduled an appointment at the dealer today. I met with the most caring service advisor I'd ever met. The long and short of that visit after expressing my safety concerns was "dont bring it back until it is happening that day, we cant put someone in the car and have them drive around until it happens to them." I'm sure that will go over like a fart in church when I get in touch with his service manager

8. Jul 27, 2016 at 11:10 AM
    bobrown14

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    When mine does it, usually when the clutch pedal is almost to the floor and I feel a slight resistance and a squeak like rubber binding.

9. Jul 27, 2016 at 11:30 AM
    Rhubarb

Member:
    Big D (TX)
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR, Manual Trans
    Thanks for the reply. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. Third time I've brought it in. The scenario: Every so often, the truck won't start. Pulled the key out and tried again. No luck. The only thing that works (most of the time) is leaving the key in for about 30 seconds and trying again. The last time it happened (about a week ago) I pushed the Clutch Start Cancel button and started right up. Might be the clutch. I have an appointment with that very suggestion (clutch) tomorrow morning.

10. Jul 27, 2016 at 7:27 PM
    4wd_Taco

4wd_Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR M/T
    That may be your clutch pedal position switch. I had an issue with one in my 95 Tacoma.

bobrown14 likes this.
  11. Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41 AM
    bobrown14

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    ^^^ that FTW

12. Jul 28, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    Rhubarb

Member:
    Big D (TX)
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR, Manual Trans
    The chief technician at the local Toyota dealership explained to me, after looking over my truck, that the Husky aftermarket matt was slightly interfering with full depression of the clutch to the point it would sometimes not fully engage the switch and plunger rod (i think that's what he called it). He even drew me a diagram. Guess I will be contacting Husky.

Products Discussed in

To Top