1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 Speed Ratios

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tazinfo, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Mar 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM
    tazinfo

tazinfo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2005 Tacoma with 6-speed manual. Why is this transmission geared so low? I expected that I would normally drive around town using it as a 5-speed and only get to 6th gear on the highway. I find I can take most moderate hills in 6th gear at 30mph with no trouble. At 65mph in 6th, I'm running about 2300rpm. It would seem this could have been geared to run down at 1500-1700rpm. I keep looking for higher gear to shift into.

2. Mar 30, 2007 at 4:57 PM
    MickUpi

MickUpi Member

Member:
    I find it surprising too that I can pull most hills in 6th gear.
    Mick

3. Apr 4, 2007 at 1:56 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Yep, they could have dropped 6th a little bit more, to give a nice cruising speed of 1800rpm

4. Apr 5, 2007 at 2:39 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    welcome to TW

5. Apr 5, 2007 at 4:14 PM
    tazinfo

tazinfo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks much!

6. Apr 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    Towing w/ decent fuel ecconomy.

I expected that I would normally drive around town using it as a 5-speed and only get to 6th gear on the highway.[/quote]

So did I. When I first started out I was regularily cruising around 2500 and shifting at around 3000.... it took me a bit before I clued in that it was a 4.0L 6 speed and not a 2.2L 4 speed like I was used to.

I agree. Then again, to do 65 in my old Toyota I'd be doing around 3100rpm in 4th.

I worked these out a little while ago and posted them on another forum... I'll re-post them here for infos sake;

7. Sep 7, 2007 at 10:35 AM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07_4x4_Access Cab_V-6_Manual-6_Silver Mica
    None yet
    Got a new Taco 4x4 v-6 manual! I have a little over 700miles on her. I know I haven't driven stick for years, but I thought I would get quickly used to the shift again and make really smooth seamless shifts in all gears with practice. I still seem to have to time everything with a little effort to avoid the jerky amatuerish shifts. The 6-Manual is still smooth and intuitive though. Anybody have the same opinion or comment to help. Thanks.

8. Sep 7, 2007 at 1:11 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    The new 6spd is a fine transmission, reasonalbly smooth, it has good low gears, if loaded, to get under way, yet you can buzz along the highway at 2500rpm. I know they have a "short throw" kit available and I would like to see that in my 06, V6 taco.
    I have taken some very steep hills, here in New England and given enough time and if the hill can be approached at 6omph there usually is no need to downshift and then usually if someone pulls out in front of you on the way up.

Welcome all new 6spd Taco owners.
    Jeff
    06, V6, SR5, 4x4.

9. Sep 7, 2007 at 4:14 PM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07_4x4_Access Cab_V-6_Manual-6_Silver Mica
    None yet
    Thanks Jeff. I agree with your comments, it's a good tranny. I guess I'll just have to master unloaded smooth shifting without getting jerky between first a second particularly. I have a feeling thats an inherent thing, but easy to live with.
    I have looked at the short throw shifter threads too. That sounds like a great overall improvement I'd like to try.

Products Discussed in

To Top