1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60,000 Mileage Service worth it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NightShades, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Jan 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    NightShades

NightShades [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Bug Deflector, Bed Extender, Roof Racks
    Hey everyone I have an 05 Taco V6...

I keep my oil changed, air filter clean and the truck washed...

Basic maintenance...

I just acquired the truck back at 48,000 miles, it has 64,000 now.

Im not much of a DIY guy... I would rather have someone else do the work if I can and its not cost prohibitive..

What i want to know is what services need to be performed now?

Looking at the manual the Dealership reccomended 60,000 service has a lot of stuff I dont need..

The only thing that looks worth a change listed is the spark plugs, and i probably need an alignment..

Any other services that should be performed that are relevant at this mileage? I want to keep my taco in tip top shape and stay on top of maintainence...

What about Fuel Filter? Timing belt? Water pump?

Plug Wires?

What about fluid exchanges, should the coolant be drained and refilled?

Cabin Air filter changed?

Automatic transmission fluid?

2. Jan 11, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    NightShades

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    No responses?

3. Jan 11, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Fuel filter, water pump, and plug wires dont need to be changed. Being as there is no timming belt, you dont have to change that either. Basicaly, The fluids (Engine oil, and rear gear lube), filters (engine and cabin), and spark plugs , and you should be good. There are write ups on all of that stuff on the site, so if you are halfway decent with a wrench, you can save yourself a bunch-O-cash.

4. Jan 11, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    NightShades

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Awesome thanks.

5. Jan 11, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    ninja28

ninja28 What am I supposed to put in this box?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    North Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DC TRD Off-Road MGM
    More to come
    I took my 07 in for the 60K service at 55K, I think its a modified version of the major service. here is the breakdown... look at 60,000 Miles - 72 Months page.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/07ToyMS_MS0004/pdf/07omsour/2007/07toysmt/71n1smt.pdf

the dealership did all this except for the Cabin air filter and spark plugs, I did these myself. My truck ran so smooth after the the major service
    (I attributed this to the trans fluid swap and rear differential oil swap) and it ran even smother after I changed the spark plugs. worth it??? very expensive, but worth it to me. BTY, there are tons of guys out there that do this entire service themselves, very easy... I guess I'm too lazy.

6. Jan 11, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Yeah. I could definitely do it myself. I have Toyota do all the work. If something gets fucked, I have someone to blame. Also, I had my guage cluster go out 2k miles out of warranty. But because I had Toyota do all my services, they took care of it. $750 part.

7. Jan 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    BINGO.... I have found whether or not I buy a car at the Service dealership (in this case not) it PAYS huge dividends to throw the service dept a few bones. comes in really handy when you need real warranty work. When they see you use their service dept for service they are more inclined to take care of business and not give a hard time.

The first thing I did when I brought my used truck in from a dealer 100 miles away was introduce myself to the service dept. Since they are the only Toyota Dealership within 85 miles, I will take it there for an oil change in a few weeks whether or not I need it to get me in their system as a PAYING customer vs just a warranty customer.

My sales guy who i bought two cars from was not happy and indicated I may not be able to get service there...( as if) what a piece of work. I KNOW I may not be prioritized like a sales customer but I will as a SERVICE customer.

I will likely tell the service manager that i likely won't buy a car there because if the sales tactics, but will always have my service done there on both my Toyotas in the future.

Products Discussed in

To Top