1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

62000miles and wheel bearing shot

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trd taco guy, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 23, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    sardog2111

sardog2111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    05 silver streak DC, 5100, borla exhuast
    5100's, Volant Intake, Borla Exhaust. FJ wheels, Wet Okole's. HID's, Go Rhino Steps bars.
    wow 25k that seems really premature. I mean at least they were covered under warranty, so that rocks... Rather have them go out at 25k than 36,001 miles.

2. Dec 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    carolinataco

carolinataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    2019 TRD OR, VF Tuned, URD Power Extractors, U-spec exhaust, Meso stuff
    Yea, prob had something to do with the mud hole my truck was stuck in for 24hrs too, but the stealership didn't need to know that.

3. Dec 27, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    as far as i know the wheel bearings are covered under my 100K mile powertrain warranty cause i have 60K+ miles and it was covered the only thing is i took my truck to my mechanic oil change after the work was done for the drivers side rear at toyota and had my mechanic check them again cause i was still hearing something now it sounds like my passenger front bearing is making alot of noise and the passenger rear is making some noise tooo so time to go back to the dealer and see what they say about that. IDK but in my opinion toyotas quality has gone down hill. first a bad radio (replaced under warrenty) replaced rear leaf cause of tsb now wheel bearings (covered under warranty for now) and the heater blower motor squeeks like crazy (not covered after 36k miles) :(. Granted i put alot of miles on my truck in a year (over 50K) but my truck is 1 year old and im already having these many problems whats next? i have had vehicles for many years that have never had this many issues

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    SnakeHunter

SnakeHunter Member

Member:
    Monroe NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma sport 4X4 TRD
    Grill lights,Fog lights any time,Dvd player, and K&N air filter.
    61k my right rear is out acourding to my dealer and they want 889.00 dollars!!! to fix it does this sound right? It seems crazy high to me?

5. Jan 25, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    My dealer and mechanic both said it would cost around 6-7 hundred per side. U should see if the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty covers it cause I have had two bearings replaced so far only cost me a $50 deductible each time cause my dealer said that it was covered under the powertrain warranty

6. Jan 25, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I just did a rear and both fronts on my wife's 00 4Runner (over 200k miles) and I can attest to the rears being a pain in the ass to change. Although the 05-up tacoma fronts (i've changed 4 now) are a little easier to change than the earlier style. On the rears there is an ABS wheel and 2 spacers pressed onto the axle. For my 4Runner these alone were about $75. Then the bearing and 2 seals and you can easily be looking at about $200 in parts depending on where you shop for parts. Then you have to do the job. The way the spacers and abs ring goes on spacer/ABS ring/snap ring/spacer/bearing you pretty much have to cut the innermost spacer and ABS ring off. Then once the snap ring is off you can use the press to remove the bearing and last spacer. I made my own special tool out of an old toyota rear axle housing I have. I cut about a foot off one end and welded ears onto it. So I can bolt the axle to it, then put the whole thing in a press to get the bearing off the axle. Pressing the bearing out/into the backing plate is no big deal. I used a piece of black iron pipe to press the axle back into the bearing and install the new spacers and ABS ring. Now that i've made the tool and done it I suspect I could do another one in about 2-3 hours. But it took me a few hours to make that tool.

I agree Toyota's quality has slipped a great deal, but so have most other manufacturers. I bought my current tacoma fairly cheap in need of some work (including front wheel bearings) and I'm not upset nor surprised about it. However oddly enough I was bullshit when I went through the same stuff with the 05 I bought new. Regardless of their issues I have yet to have one leave me stranded and I would rather be driving a Tacoma than any other midsize truck.

7. Jan 26, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    SnakeHunter

SnakeHunter Member

Member:
    Monroe NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma sport 4X4 TRD
    Grill lights,Fog lights any time,Dvd player, and K&N air filter.
    Thanks I was really worried I was getting ripped off. I picked my truck up last night they said it wasn't part of the 100,000 mile warranty:(
    I drove it a quarter mile and it started doing the same thing it was doing when I first took it to them:(. I turned around and took it right back to them hopefully they figure it out this time. It feels like I'm driving on the rumble strips when I get over 45 and the floor shakes? I thought I lost a wheel wate but the dealer ruled that out. Any ideas?

Products Discussed in

To Top