1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6th Gear Shifting Issue

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FirstNewTacoma, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Dec 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM
    FirstNewTacoma

FirstNewTacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 3.5 auto Acces Cab
    Toyota has got some work to do on the new Taco automatic shifting software. Here's my issue. My truck RARELY finds 6th gear again after any down shift in cruise control mode even after returning to zero or negative grade. The software hits a block and I'm stuck in 5th. If I do a quick partial stab on the accelerator when it is obvious I should be in 6th gear then the truck smoothly shifts into 6th. Test this yourself. Just don't stab the accelerator so far that if causes an additional down shift. The additional input variable from the accelerator appears to be allow the software to get around whatever is preventing the final up shift. The constant 6th gear shift failure kills your fuel economy. It CAN'T be Toyota's plan that drivers need to constantly monitor their RPM and shift points and manually intervene every time the truck fails to make it back in cruise mode to 6th gear. I have communicated this to Toyota and they just say bring it in to the shop. I have an appointment on he 2nd. I am guessing they will have to agree with me that this condition should not exist, but they won't find anything wrong with the truck. MESSAGE TO TOYOTA ENGINEERS: PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM. IT WILL BE A TERRIBLE PLAGUE TO AN OTHERWISE REALLY GREAT NEW VEHICLE. I hope some of you will communicate your observations on this and tell me if you can "force" the 6th gear shift like I can.

2. Dec 23, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    busticator

busticator Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 DCSB
    CPS rev2
    I don't use cruise a lot. When I do, I do not observe this behavior. Have read others do though. Mine drops back into higher gear on its own. Weird.

3. Dec 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    swimmer

swimmer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORAC4WD
    OP, did you search this forum for a similar topic before making your new topic?

kerrdog and busticator like this.
  4. Dec 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

OffsetPlayer2 Cornbread fed

Member:
    In the woods and fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
  5. Dec 23, 2015 at 9:14 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toyota cruise control has been garbage in everything I have driven. My 05 tundra V8 shifted to 3rd on slight grades in CC when empty. And lots of other bad experiences too. Don't bother going to the shop, they won't do anything for you. The only cure for POS Toyota CC is a manual transmission.

6. Apr 20, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    BayouFisher

BayouFisher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Off Road
    Did the dealer ever address the issue? I have a 2016 Tacoma and find I'm having the same issue. I've even put the truck into manual mode and it takes a few attempts before the truck will shift into 6th gear. I know my 2009 had an issue down shifting when turning corners causing the truck to slow as it down shifted and them immediately shifted back up into a higher more appropriate gear. I took it to the dealer and easily resolved the issue with a programming change. Hoping to find the same fix for this issue.

7. Apr 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I had this "exact" same issue, while using Cruise Control.... thought it was a low tranny..... Dealer refused to physically check it on their dime.... I checked it myself... it WAS about a liter low. Filled it and it fixed this issue..... Then I got the Tranny TSB done and now it drives so beautiful....!

Did you fix it or not..?

8. Apr 20, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I know you are new here, so here are a couple of pointers.

1) you woke up a 18 month old thread. The OP made one post and disappeared.

2) This topic or some form of 3rd gen auto trans complaint, comes up every day. Literally. There are dozens and dozens of posts.

3) Search is your friend. Use it, read all about all the issues, resolutions, and no resolutions.

Summary of what you'll find.............

Some transmissions came from the factory with low fluid. As much as a qt to 2 qts. They've made the process to check it complicated for the average joe, but it's worth having done at the dealer. Sometimes that helps things, sometimes folks get a 'bonus' warranty on the driveline.

There is a TSB that reflashes the trans computer. Sometimes this helps, sometimes not.

Sometimes as the truck breaks in, shifting gets better. Probably a learning curve on the ECU is one suspiscion.

Sometimes the driver adjusts and compensates for the shift pattern in other ways. You can read all about those ideas yourself

As far as cruise control goes, I've never heard anyone that really thought theirs was great, on a Tacoma, on any year model. Exception being running legal speeds, flat roads. Its (at least mine) ok then. Don't know the reason why, my '04 Highlander is excellent as are both my kids Siennas.

jberry813 and oldtoyotaguy like this.
  9. Apr 20, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    BayouFisher

BayouFisher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Off Road
    Thanks Clearwater Bill! will look for the TSB number and be sure to mention it next time I take my Tacoma in for service.

Clearwater Bill likes this.
  10. Apr 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    BayouFisher

BayouFisher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Off Road
    Had the TSB done yesterday. It look a little negotiation and a test drive to prove the issue even existed. I tested cruise at high speeds and immediately noticed the issue was gone. Although I only had a 30 mile ride home, I could tell a difference in how my truck shifted. No complaints and happy I got the TSB done. Headed out today for a 3 hour road trip. I will report back if anything is different.

11. Apr 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    ElCapitan

ElCapitan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    The High Way Up Far Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    I had two TSB done on my truck and I agree that this is still a crappy transmission!

shakerhood likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top