1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7 Speaker System

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RiderOnTheStorm, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Looking to Buy!
    Hey,

I am considering a A/C 2.7L SR5 Taco. One of the options (because I love music) is that 7 speaker audio system.

Is that 7 speaker system the same as the TRD JBL option or is it something different?

I would love to do aftermarket audio at some point, once I pay down some of my debt, so will that system be a pain to switch out for aftermarket...or is aftermarket really necessary with the 7 speaker system?

Thanks!

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have yet to hear a factory audio system that actually sounded nice. I say go with the base stereo and swap it out for an aftermarket stereo. Aftermarket will always sound better.

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    My '09 has the non-JBL audio system with the subwoofer. Two in the lower front doors, two in the upper front doors (highs), two panel speakers in the roof, one big mutant X-men subwoofer in the back.

I like it. Sounds nice. Bass is solid but not obnoxious.

4. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    i love my stock system. sounds really good and i have the non-JBL

5. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    MikeD20

MikeD20 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Azusa
    Vehicle:
    2011 4X4 TRD Sport DC LB debadged Tacoma
    TRD CAI, TRD oil cap, TRD radiator cap, TRD catback exhaust, 8K HID headlights, 3K Yellow HID fog lights, 2.5 in Velocity front leveling kit, 1.5 in Velocity Rear leveling kit, TRD Trail Team Edition wheels, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar, Weather Tech floor liners, limo tint all around, Viper 5901 w/remote start, Pioneer 4300DVD HU, ipod adapter, XM Radio, Image Dynamics XS65, Image Dynamics CTX65, Image Dynamics IDQ10V3, JL 500/1 and JL 300/4 amps, Mr,Marv custom sub enclosure and amp rack, RAAMMAT and ensolite sound deadening.
    If you love music then stay away from the JBL system. It doesn't sound terrible but it also doesn't sound great. Once you crank it passed 42 you will not be loving music so much. I've noticed that certain type of music sounds better than others through this system. I've had my truck for 2 months and I will be doing a complete audio system upgrade within the next couple of weeks. On top of that, if you decide to replace a JBL system head unit then you will need to buy a special adapter for it. Save the cash and just upgrade your audio system in stages.

6. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    It's all a matter of preference really. My buddy says he thinks his stock 08 tacoma sound system sounds great. I think it sounds like ass.

IMO once you have an aftermarket stereo system. I.e. Amp powered components and sub tuned properly w/ correct crossover points, etc. You will never like a factory stereo system again.

7. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    42!? wow, I didnt realize you had to turn it up that high with the stock system. 12 is super loud w/ my alpine headunit and I'm not cranking a lot of power into mine. 50W RMS per channel to my Alpine type-s components, and 175 Watts RMS to my Infinity reference 10.

8. Mar 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Volume is just numbers. They don't mean anything from one manufacturer to the next. I think the Toyota non-JBL system I have stops going up at 70 or so.

Normal volume for me around town is 30-34, on the highway is 40-44, and playing the super-soft local NPR retransmitter on the highway I sometimes have it at 62-64.

9. Mar 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.

yeah true, having all that would make it better.
    but for the time being i love it. just waiting till other things happen before i start messing with it

10. Mar 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    Stock audio is pretty mediocre.

I would suggest installing a quality after market audio system, and deadening/soundproofing the cab in the process.

Products Discussed in

To Top